1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

My Take on the Offseason:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Niner, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Niner

Niner Member

First the New Head Coach of the Houston Rockets is the man known as LARRY BROWN, thanks to aggressive negotiations and sacrafices by both Brown, and CD & Les.

My-Offseason:

Players Under Contract: ($52,226,314 M) (10)
    #3 PG Steve Francis($10,067,750 M)
    41 SF Glen Rice($9,600,000 M)
    2 PF Maurice Taylor($7,800,000 M)
    13 C Kelvin Cato($7,344,000 M)
    5 SG Cuttino Mobley($5,394,125 M)
    11 C Yao Ming($4,147,560 M)
    12 PG Moochie Norris($3,600,000 M)
    33 PF Eddie Griffin($2,312,760 M)
    9 SF Bostjan Nachbar($1,396,440 M)
    6 SG Tito Maddox($563,679 K)

*June 26th, 2003*
    Houston trades Chicago Bulls Draft Rights(#1 or 2 #2's) to Memphis for the 27th pick in the 2003 Draft.

Houston Trades a future 2nd rd pick to New Jersey for the 51st pick.

Rd. 1.) #27th= PF David West(Xavier)
    2.)#44th= SG Matt Carroll(Notre Dame)
    2.)#51st= SF Kyle Korver(Creighton)

*July 1st, 2003*

Re-Sign PF 44 Terrence Morris to a 2 Year Deal/Minimum Salary($638,679 K)

Re-Sign SF 55 James Posey to a 5 Year Deal with a salary of $5 M in 2003.

Re-Sign SG 1 Juaquin Hawkins to a 1 Yr/$563,679 K.

Rockets and Glen Rice work out a Buyout making Rice a FA.

#1 Niner, Jun 1, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2003
  2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Haha... Good one!

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why would you buy out Rice's expiring contract. A contract like his is gold to teams with cap problems. We could trade him, perhaps in a package and get a real player in return. Paying to throw away one of our most tradable assets is idiotic.

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

For sure we dont need a bunch of lower echelon Rookies!! We need one realy good player PF,who can make a serious contribution to the game without the ball, he must be a good defender and have at least 4 yrs experience. One good Point Guard,that can play defence,pass the ball and score a few points when the situation is needed. Also we need a heck of an outside shooter.

5. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I like the idea of a pickup of David West. Xavier guys have done very well in the pros lately, he's is tough, developed and would bang with lots of moves inside. He would fit will with Griffin at the 4. They seem like they complement each other. And if both turn out, you slide EG to 3 or something.

I know he is slated to go low in the draft, partly because is a senior. But I don't think he will be there with our pick in the 2nd. So I think we gotta move up to get him.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Niner,

You do realize that your moves put us about 17 deep on the roster don't you? ;)

Also, I think the Rockets are probably more interested in acquiring veteran help via free agency than they are with draft picks.

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where'd you get your salary info niner? That's good stuff. I hate having to piece it together from this source and that.

8. Bob

Bob Member

Actually I count 15 which is ok.

His numbers are close to what I had. For salary cap and luxury tax issues he needs to add in Matt Maloney for two more years. Glen Rice's contract would still count against the cap as well.

Rd. 1.) #27th= PF David West(Xavier)
    Not a Larry Brown kind of guy. He's an undersized power forward with limited defensive abilities in the NBA.

2.)#44th= SG Matt Carroll(Notre Dame)
    May not even get drafted.

2.)#51st= SF Kyle Korver(Creighton)
    Also not a prototypical Larry Brown type player - maynot be solid defensively. But I love this kids passing and shooting abilities. Definately NBA level on these two skills.

The two second round players I think would fit Larry Brown better are Dahntay Jones and Sani Ibraham. They are very solid defensively and can contribute something on the offensive end.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

1) David West will not be there at #27 for anyone to take. He will be top 20.
    2) The Rockets don't need lots of YOUNG draft picks. They need VETERANS
    3) The Rockets will NOT just buy out Rice's contract. That expiring contract is a hot commodity to many teams in the NBA looking to dump salary.