1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Take on Drew

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NewGuy, Sep 4, 2000.

1. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

The Rockets have had all offseason to dump him, and I'm sure they've had a few offers. Not necessarily good offers, but offers nonetheless. Rudy and CD know the guy has talent but isn't the future at backup PG. So am I crazy in thinking that he will get some significant playing time the first couple months, only to be traded to a team desperately needing him sometime before the deadline. Teams are willing to give up more at the deadline if it's something they need, and a reliable backup point guard is very valuable for a team down the stretch.

Teams that I think could have interest at some point:

Toronto (lost Brown, could be losing Bogues too)

Sacto (lost Delk to Phoenix)

Chicago (Matt Maloney doesn't cut it)

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of.

------------------

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would be highly surprised, and I'm sure the board would be up in arms, if Drew was still on the roster when the season starts.

But maybe the Rockets figure he'll help sway the teenage girl vote.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

If Drew, Bullard, Langhi, Matt M. and Brent Price started a boy band what would it be called?

------------------

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The only way I see Drew being traded is in a package deal. If he remains a Rocket he won't get many minutes unless someone goes down or the game is a blow out.

------------------
    I am the founding member of the Butt-Nekkid Party! White House here we come!

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

If the Rockets planned to trade him, he'd be gone right now. You'd think they'd try to do everything before Rudy goes to Sydney, so unless someone comes out with an unbelievable offer (like that proposed Jamison deal) I wouldn't be surprised if Drew starts the year a Rocket.

------------------

6. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Not sure on the boy band, but my guess is the name would include Downtown

------------------

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Langhi and The Scrubs

------------------
    I am the founding member of the Butt-Nekkid Party! White House here we come!

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

lol Pimp!

NewGuy, a lot of people were surprised when Maloney wasn't traded.

Then he was waived!!!

I could see the Rockets doing the same thing if they don't find a trade they like.

------------------

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Difference between Maloney and Drew: Drew was benched because Moochie fit the offense better, Maloney was benched because he had no talent

------------------

10. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

In my opinion, Drew is not NBA caliber talent. His only salvation is to turn into a dead eye NBA jump shooter, which was the Rocket's hope for him when he was drafted.

I think we will eventually see Bryce get released outright.

------------------
    Nice guys finish lunch.

- C. Chase

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

But you don't just trade just for trading's sake.

I mean seriously, what good is Drew other than as a throw in to a deal? What is his value to other teams? Not much, methinks. Not enough to warrant a trade for any real talent anyway.

Trade him, waive him, or put him on the IR.

I don't want to see Drew playing for the Rockets again unless they are in dire need.

------------------

12. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

I would be willing to bet every penny I have that some offer has been made for Drew straight up, such as a second round pick for Drew at the least. Making a deal like that does no harm, Drew is unnecessary to us and we could always use a secound rounder.

So why wouldn't Rudy or CD pull the trigger? I was wondering that and my opening post was the only explanation I could think of. There is no point in just eating his salary.

------------------

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Which teams do you think would offer such a trade? Don't forget that there are still trade rules, regardless of Drew's worth. Unless picks were offered by either the Clippers or by the Bulls, then the Rockets would have to take a player back.

In that light, Drew could be worth more on the bench in case of emergencies.

Short of some mega salary cap trade or some popeye style trade... I think that Drew will just be waived.

------------------

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

They would called
    No Defense

or

Paint Free

and their first album could be called "The Keyway Scares Me"

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

As Clutch stated earlier last season, Drew's stats in his five starts were:

42.8 mins
    17.2 pts
    6.6 asts
    2.8 rebs
    1.8 TO's
    44.7% FG
    39% 3pts

Those aren't bad figures for someone who "isn't NBA caliber". Also, the team went 3-2 during that stretch. I'm not saying we should keep him, he really doesn't fit our offense. I'm just saying some of you guys shouldn't underrate him so much.

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

16. outlaw

outlaw Member

Stop the Maloney bashing.
    Especially when comparing him to Drew.

Matt was NBA All-Rookie 2nd team in perhaps the best rookie class of the 90's. (First team was Iverson, Camby, A-Rahim, Marbury and Walker, 2nd team was Kittles, Allen, Knight, Bryant and Maloney)

Matt hit 8 treys in a big playoff game.

What has Bryce done in comparision?

17. University Blue

Maloney was fine at the time and Drew is fine now.

Houston should keep Drew to not only sway the teenage girl votes, but play on a second unit that might include low post offense.

Drew, however, is a SG and needs to play with a taller PG or have shot-blocking weakside support....Which is why Cato is important to the Houston defense.

------------------
    Forget regrets or life is yours to miss.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Not supporting anyone, but here are some stats.

On a PER MINUTE basis for their careers, if the players received 32 min of playing time an average game would be:

Shots Made: Moochie 4.4 / Drew 3.8 / Maloney 3.4

3PT made: Maloney 1.8 / Drew 1.4 / Moochie 0.8

Free thows made: Moochie 3.6 / Maloney & Drew 1.0

Assists: Moochie 6.0 / Drew 3.95 / Maloney 3.7

Steals: Moochie 1.5 / Drew .98 / Maloney .97

Turnovers: Maloney 1.6 / Drew 1.8 / Moochie 1.9

Maloney and Drew are reasonably comparable. Bryce may have an edge in creating his own shot over Maloney. Neither can not get to the hole or free throw line or dish like Moochie.

Bottomline: A three point shooter has value in the Rocks present scheme b/c it stretches the D and opens up the lanes for drives to the hoop. Moochie clearly can't do this, but Langhi (or Bull or Wiz or maybe even Collier) CAN. This was pretty evident in the RMR where Moochie got alot of assists feeding Langhi. As much as I like Bryce Drew on a personal level, if the 3pt production comes from a position other than PG, it makes him *very* expendable. To a degree, Langhi's success means curtains for Bryce.

------------------
    GATER

19. Rocket JJANG

Rocket JJANG Member

The title should be "Even I can take on Drew?"

------------------
    Hack a Shaq you'll be winning
    Hack-him you'll be dreaming.

20. Sane

Sane Member

I think we'd benefit by getting an early second-rounder or a late first rounder in next year's deep draft........

------------------