1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Review of an Electric Razor and Body Groomer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kwame, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I’ve noticed some shaving related threads here and there and I’ve been meaning to do this for fellow Clutchfans for a while, but I’ve been lazy and was also waiting in order to make sure there weren’t any adverse effects from using these two products. I’ve been using both regularly for almost two months now and haven’t experienced skin irritation or anything of that sort.

The Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver

[​IMG]

I’ve had some experience with electric razors in the past and was real excited when I purchased this product. The design is sleek, the razor and stand are both lightweight, recharges relatively quickly (quick charge time is 5 mins), and has a nice lcd display that shows the battery life and the cleanliness of the shaver. It also has an auto-detect feature for voltage and comes with a clear travel case.

When shaving with this razor, the head flexes, pivots, and swivels and is supposed to adjust to the contours of your face. You can lock the head to effectively shave certain areas such as under your nose. I’ve experienced no discomfort whatsoever while shaving with this razor. You can go as fast as you want or as slow as you’d like or you can shave with the grain or against it, no nicks, no razor bumps, my skin never gets pinched by the foil, and no redness appears afterwards. I’m usually done in about 10 mins and the shaver isn’t very noisy either.

The quality of the shave, however, has been disappointing. Some areas you have to go over a few times before it gets all the hair. I’ve shaved with the grain and against it, and the results were the same. You don’t get as close of a shave as you would get if you were to go against the grain using a blade like the Gillette Fusion.

There is a trimmer that pops up just underneath the head and it does a good job. The self-cleaning system is pretty amazing. After you finish shaving, you put the razor in the stand and in about 20 mins it’s clean. There are literally no hairs in or around or underneath the foil. There’s a 5 minute quick clean option available as well. You do have to switch out the cleaning cartridges every 30 days though. It comes with a couple, but they cost $4 dollars each if you buy them individually. Alternatively, you can stick the head underneath the sink and wash it that way. You can’t use the razor while in the shower though.

Overall, I would say this product is not a good value, because it costs around $200 and doesn’t give you a real close shave. All the extra features are nice, but you can easily find an electronic razor without the bells and whistles that shaves comparably well for less. On the other hand, if you don’t mind the high price tag and average quality of the shave you receive, this product is a good one, especially if you’re always on the run and don’t have a lot of time to spend shaving.

The Philips Norelco BG2030 Professional BodyGrooming System

[​IMG]

This body groomer is designed to keep your entire body nice and trim. It comes with two guards. One is for trimming hair in large areas like your chest and the other is for sensitive spots like your crotch. Unlike the electric razor, this product is water-resistant and supposedly has some type of system that sharpens the blades on its own so you don’t need to oil them. The design is nice, the stand has a cool little storage area in the back where you can keep the guards, brush, and other head, and it’s not too loud while in use.

The groomer does a damn good job all over your body. In the manual it says to always use one of the guards to protect against nicks and cuts, but I’ve frequently used it without them as well. It trims hair anywhere on your body quickly and just the way you want it. I’ve never had any problems when using the guards to trim. Once they’re off you do get a smoother and closer trim, but run the risk of getting nicks and cuts. This is especially important when shaving the groin area. I’ve had a couple of close calls where the groomer has pinched the skin down there. It goes without saying, but be real patient, very careful, and go real slow when you’re trimming your private parts without a guard with this product. But it does such a good job down there that the end result is a very smooth groin region that your significant other or some random girl is sure to appreciate.

Once you’re done, you can use either the brushes it comes with to clean the body groomer or you can detach the head from the trimmer and run it under water to clean it. It also comes with a shaving foil, but I’ve used it a few times and the shave you receive is subpar.

There aren’t many drawbacks with this trimmer, but it does take 8 hrs to fully recharge and the battery life lasts about 45 mins. If you don’t need the product fully recharged, you can stick it on the stand for a few hrs and then use it for about 20-30 mins before you have to charge it again. Also, there is no travel case.

In sum, for under $50 this product is a great value. I would highly recommend it to my fellow Clutchfans. I have less experience with body groomers, but, overall, this is the best one I’ve ever used.

The amazon.com links below provide more information on the products and the reviews are much more detailed than mine. I wrote these reviews just for Clutchfans though in order to provide you guys with my own personal experience with these two products. I hope this helps.

Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6SU3C/ref=oss_product

Philips Norelco BG2030 Professional BodyGrooming System:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E0C9LI/ref=oss_product

1 person likes this.