1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My rankings of best center prospects in the draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jopatmc, Mar 30, 2012.

1. rockets06

rockets06 Member

A. Davis and A. Moultrie are PF's that both need to add weight for the NBA.
    Based on if they all declare for the draft, my list of C would be:

1. Andre Drummond
    2. Cody Zeller
    3. Meyers Leonard*
    4. Tyler Zeller*

5. Festus Ezeli
    6. Fab Melo

IMO if HOU where to draft a C I'd go for M. Leonard. Wouldn't mind T. Zeller either but like you said his ceiling may have already been reached and I see M. Leonard with a lot of room to grow also being a legit 7 footer. I don't see A. Drummond or C. Zeller within reach of our pick though they both have a lot of potential after being in the league a couple years and don't see Ezeli or Melo worth a 1st rd pick.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I doubt he'll be drafted, before 21, while I haven't seen alot of people talking him up when it comes to NBA success.

The other centers who are taking in top 15 have a greater chance of being a bust, than Melo who is probably about in the right spot.

OP: Moultrie is more suited for power forward at the time being, unless a team has a tweener power-forward/center.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Davis will play PF in the NBA. Or at least he should.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Davis should be PF and I think ultimately will be very legit. Noah plus an offensive game.

Seller brothers will suck.

I see Drummond turning into an Emeka Okafor type. Very solid player, but could have been better.

Rest are super meh

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Davis is a center, guys. He'll play center in the NBA. He'll always play center in the NBA.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

jopatmc, thank you for your expert opinion.

I really think we should take that LEONARD MEYERS kid. He could really turn into something. :p

(I'm just messing with you, man. Pretty good analysis, major typo notwithstanding.)

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

You got it. I'm not going to even bother fixing it.

8. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

I agree that Fab Melo will be a bust

9. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

I wouldnt go that far.. but i dont see the hype with that guy

10. 713

713 Member

That Anthony Davis guy is pretty good

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Most draft websites list him as PF. I see his game as more PF. Can he play center? Sure. Will he? Guess that depends on situation. Duncan is as much as center as a PF, too... But he's a PF. I think Davis' upside is best maximized playing PF with a solid center next to him.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Davis has no face-up game at all. Everything he does is back to the basket. He is the longest most athletic player in college with a ton of iq to go with it. He's a premier shot-blocker. He's a 5 dude.

Think about an NBA roster. There's gonna be 1 or 2 guys at most with his length. There's no point in even arguing it. He's a 5. He'll always be a 5. He's the next great center in the NBA and within a couple years he will be discussed in the same breath with Dwight as the best centers in the NBA.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

At 6'10, 220 lbs, Davis will definitely start his career at PF and probably finish there. One of the reasons he does everything back to the basket is because that's what Kentucky needs him to do. Two years ago he was a 6'2 guard. His offense in the NBA will develop far beyond what you've seen this season.

He can't play C in the NBA any more than Kevin Durant can. Even Serge Ibaka (who is stronger than Davis ever will be) can't play C full-time because he doesn't have enough sand in his britches (yet).

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Sorry dude. You're wrong. He's too long. He has to play center. You simply don't take 5 blocks a game along with numerous intimidations and shot changes and run him around the perimeter with guys like Love or take him out 18 feet on guys like Scola/Zach/Lamarcus/Bosh/Dirk et al. And you don't take that length (similar to Yao) and have him play face up 17 feet away offensively. Davis is a back-to-the-basket big time center.

Sure he's light. Doesn't matter. In 3 years he'll have filled out.

You tell me.........what team is going to draft him and put him at the 4???

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Zeller's soft.

A frontcourt of Davis and Biyombo is a scary thought. Two defensive-minded hybrid big men clogging the paint.

16. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Cody Zeller is soft

I actually want Tyler Zeller on the Rockets

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol @ anyone thinking Davis will be a 5 at the NBA level.

Yeah ask him to bang with the Bynum,Dwight Howard, Demarcus Cousins, and Marc Gasol.

Good luck with that.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Ibaka leads the league in blocking shots at PF. Davis has also had a lot of blocks on the perimeter when guys tried to shoot over him. He will play some 5 depending on the matchups but he won't be strictly a Center.

Anthony Davis models his defensive game after Serge Ibaka who is a PF. Go figure.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Saying Davis has no face up game is dead wrong. Guy was a 6'2 guard two years ago and has great handles and a very reliable shot, even out of dribbling. Don't get fooled by his tenure at Kentucky, it was his role to play at the basket.

Know Highlight videos don't tell you much, but just to show what moves he did in high school and still is capable of:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1OSxB2HZAKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah the he has no face up game comment was foolish. Anyone who has watched Davis all season would know that Davis has just started to get the ball int he post with his back to the basket. Most of his points have come from tip ins, alley oops, and has also been shooting jumpers from the top of the key.