1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

my music :constructive criticism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RickRock713, Nov 26, 2009.

1. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

Whats up guys.

Happy thanksgiving.

So i been trying to get better with this.
    Last time i posted some suggested i should listen to house and jungle music to listen to the drum breaks.
    Thanks for that advice i have been listening to alot of house and jungle.

I also want to get better at misxing the song. I know a good mix really makes a huge difference.

I dont know how to master yet and thats something i really want to focus on this coming year.

Does anybody in here know how to master? I have Pro tools but dont use to make my beats. I know that Pro Tools is use for mastering though.

anyways.. heres something I did on Tuesday.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8391181&q=hi&newref=1

im also trying to have more changeups in the beat. so try and listen to at least the first minute and 30 seconds of it.

feedback please. :)

2. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

If you need me to, I can drop a few lyrics to this….Let me see…

Okay, uh, yeah, uh….this is going out to all the jotos at Clutchfans, uh

To all my peeps in H-Town, uh, to all of my mates in Australia, uh yeah!

To my homiest in China or the GARM, uh…It’s time to drop some MoBombs on this
    (Explicit)

Wait…… all of these ‘uhs’ make we wanna take a dump. Be right back. Someone please help with this rap.

3. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

sure.write a rap.

4. Landlord Landry

take this with a grain of salt as I am not a huge fan of hip-hop...

after the first listen...

way too busy.

the first minute or so, seems a little over-active. Even without lyrics, there seems to be too much going on even for a general listener to focus on a single layer.

basically, this wouldn't grab me right away....nothing stands out.

my second listen...

It's a little deeper than I first thought...although, not a lot.

it grows on you. nice orchestration of synth and drum patterns. I like this. Hip hop is not my genre, I really don't like it in general, but I would like to hear more from you. I remember your other post here, you seem to have evolved a lil bit, if I remember correctly, I think I told you, that you sounded too generic.

If you want to please me personally....I'd try to tone down on the spacey, early 90ish Korg style synths. I like the arrangement of the patterns, just not the texture.

if you want to please the masses, I think you're on the right path...

bottom line...you are improving. by leaps and bounds. don't quit. keep making music dude. you has a potential.

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

agree with Landlord on the aspect that the textures are wrong, patterns are good though

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I agree with the toning down of the little synth sounds. Sometimes less is more, in this case, I think it definitely would have been.

Not bad though, this sounds like something some crappy rappers would definitely rap on. I actually don't mean that in a bad way, that is a compliment really. It is similar to alot of the stuff being played on the radio so it would be good for that.

I'd like to hear more of your stuff though.

7. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

appreciate that feedback guys.

and yes landry i was kinda going for that spacey, futuristic type thing on the synths.

maybe i did over do it a little. i had put some delays on that synth and maybe it just over did it. It's actually a combination of a couple of synths and other sounds i layered on top each other and maybe it did sound a little too busy.i'll try and tone that down.

what do you and dntrwl mean by textures?

and yes bladeage i am trying to do a little more of the commercial stuff i suppose. it tends to sell faster because every new rapper seems to want to emulate whats on the radio.
    In a way i guess im kinda doing the same thing. :eek:

I do want to eventually produce other genres besides hip-hop. I grew up on metallica and pantera and actually got into hip hop after metal.

Do any of you gus produce and if so what genre?

Also i was kinda hoping someone gave me some pointers on the mixing .Thats something i really want to improve on. I know mastering takes the production up a notch.

(how do i qoute different people in the same post?)

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I only got to listen on my mediocre monitoring headphones, so I'd like to hold off until I get to listen on my speakers, but it sounds good to me.

To be honest I hate this style of hip-hop, I prefer older sample based stuff like J Dilla, Premo, etc. But it sounds just like all the other popular tracks in this vein which is a major compliment. But I only hear this style in passing so I may not be the best judge of this stuff.

I agree, mixdowns are such a huge part of producing. Coincidentally I've spent the past 3 days, probably 15 hours total doing the mix on one song, and I'm still not happy with it. I made a minor change last night and think I've finally nailed it. Obviously I still have a long way to go before I'm proficient at it. I usually listen on speakers, headphones, listen to it in mono (club systems are in mono, you can lose a lot of energy so make sure to check!) and stereo, etc. The final test is listening in my car (stock system). With the road noise and all that, if it still sounds good I'm done.

I do drum & bass, and while there are no rules to music, there are usually basic guidelines for each genre that can help a lot. For example, d&b usually has snares at 200 hz, kicks at 100 hz and a low cut at 90 hz for room for the subs of the bassline, etc. Conversely, house music gets a lot of sub frequencies from their kicks (many house producers make their kicks from scratch) and keep it in, so you can see how it varies from genre to genre. If you can find hip-hop forums that talk more about the technical sides of producing it can be a big help.

There are also some commonly recommended books to read on mixing, I'll take a look later and find the names.

Anyways, keep up the good work and let us know how it goes!

9. YaosDirtyStache

Do you do weddings, birthdays, and bar mitzva?

10. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

See this is what i need to lear. I dont know crap about hz and low cut and all that. I dont even know what you weere talking about.
    I want to learn this and I want to go to hcc to take some audio engineering classes.

I know there probably better schools but i hear hcc's audio engineering classes are decent..plus affordable.

and if you find the names of those books please let me know.
    thanks for the feedback.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Home-Recording-Studio-Matter/dp/0879308346
    [​IMG]

friend of a friend wrote this - pretty good guide for the average home recording enthusiast.

not really my style, but i think your song is more creative that most mainstream hip-hop these days.

i like all the layers/textures/trippiness - its a personal opinion so dont feel like you have to change it b/c others arent into it. its your song so if you like it that way than thats all that matters.

your mix is pretty good too - the bass is very smooth - sometimes the low end can be hard to control on home recordings, but you did a good job - my speakers didnt rattle on me!

as far as mastering, unless you are going to commercially release this stuff i wouldnt even worry about it. for a home recording project it sounds pretty good. focus on getting the mix as good as you can and when you decide to do something w/ it like a proper release take it somewhere and have it done professionally. and again, your mix is already pretty solid - keep tweaking it and it will make the job of the mastering person that much easier/quicker/cheaper.

what was your methodology here? what program(s) are you using - instruments?

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm
    excellent chart showing where each instrument 'should' sit in the mix. i use quote around 'should' b/c rules are made to be broken! - i never paid attention to the technical side, but once i did my mixes started sounding so much clearer - bass/muddiness was always an issue for me.

12. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

Thanks for the for the feedback.

I used reason 4 for this, but i usually just work on a fantom x6. Im just learning how to use reason. Im about 2 months in.

Thanks for that site !! and im gonna check that book out maybe ill even buy it. thanks

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think you need more laser sounds.

[​IMG]

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I was ready to post something snarky without even listening. But I listened. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but as an old fan of Kraftwerk and the like, your song is not bad. Good job.