1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My kneejerk reaction to bad driving: It's someone texting.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, May 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I just realized that I had a minor paradigm shift. A few years ago when I would see someone swerving all over the road, braking, going slow then fast, based on their car type I would either think they were old (old folks car like a Buick) or drunk. These days my reaction is that they're texting.

It's pretty bad. I've almost been in a few wrecks with these people and have had to slam on the breaks and/or lay on the horn.

I'm not saying that I'm completely innocent of sending a quick response in light traffic, but some of these people are out of control.

It's to a point where I think it's worse than driving drunk. Why isn't this illegal everywhere?

2. Summer Song Giver

An Asian or a Woman or god forbid an Asian Woman.

kidding?

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you know how stupid one would feel if they got in a wreck and were say paralyzed because they were texting while driving. yup

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Lady_Di? :eek:

5. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

That was me, texting. I'm sorry, Jeremiah.

6. aghast

aghast Member

I was with you till there.

Talking on a cell phone requires mental abstraction (even with hands-free devices), focusing one's attention away from the road, and is the cause of many accidents. Many states have outlawed it. Yet talking on a cell phone still leaves your eyes and at least one hand free.

Texting while driving? I thought nobody would be stupid enough to do that, yet I see it on the road too. Reading a screen / typing on tiny keyboards requires not only mental abstraction, but entire focus to be shifted away from the road. Might as well be replying to a BBS post on your laptop while driving. That's just nuts.

I'm pretty sure they'll just figure out how to text with their tongues. Happy as clams.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

quit stalking me and I won't run you over with my superior texting skills on the road.

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Somewhat true. Playing devil's advocate, if you have a traditional cell phone with solid keys and are proficient at texting, you rarely need to actually look at a screen especially if it's a short message like "yes/no/ok".

9. Cbox

Cbox Member

I get so frustrated when I'm behind someone who is on the cellphone. You think you are driving well, but you are either going slow as **** or can't pick a lane.

My mom was in a parking garage in New York at the airport and this police officer pulls her over and starts yelling at for being on the phone while driving. I can't remember if she got the ticket, but I guess they stress it a lot in New York.

10. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I can be on the phone, eat and drive at the same time. Driving standard too! Can mess with that! :cool:

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

When I see someone driving badly, as in swerving, slow, inconsistent, etc., I do my best to find an opening to pass them. It's dangerous being behind a person but if I'm ahead, at least it won't be my fault and I won't be slamming into someone.

12. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Nah, it won't be your fault, but they'll probably slam into you when they're too busy txting to stop for that red light... You wanted a nice new rear bumper, didn't you??? :D

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

At least it's a less dangerous situation for me, and I could get far ahead enough to have a buffer of other cars. ;)

14. aghast

aghast Member

Yes, indeed we can. Good to see that it doesn't dilute your concentration, at all.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wait you're asian?

no wait this is just swoly we're talking about here

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

every time i am being tailgated, it's a black person. not being racist, it's just the truth.

17. aghast

aghast Member

Watching people driving while on their cellphones reminds me of Louis CK's "Everything is amazing" sentiment about air travel here (repost):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jETv3NURwLc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jETv3NURwLc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The 30 minute commute of today would have been a sun-up to sundown trip, through rough terrain, only a century ago. The least you can do is pay attention, to adequately pilot your 2 ton horseless carriage made of steel, and make the slightest effort not kill anyone else (namely: me) during that half hour of (what should be) joy at the miracle of the journey.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You missed the other "Do you text while you drive?" thread where Señorita _Di was the star, Señor Yoyo. :cool:

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I see thanks for the clarification SL-D! :)

20. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I use a blackberry, i very rarely send a message while driving, but i know where all the keys are on a keyboard and my phone is querty, so i can type without even looking. I admin i glance at it from time to time, but it takes just as much of my concentration off the road as a Darque Tan Billboard.