1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"My job is to protect the country"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

But we've had record levels of debt, why haven't we seen corresponding growth?

Peter Schiff predicts Fed will very soon end it's tapering and go back to QE. Like a heroin addict, they don't know how to ween themselves off it without pain.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AXxkLXjBV80?start=19" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

It is also time to abandon the equally simplistic liberal thinking that more government spending and higher taxation is the solution to all of life's problems.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Just another example of how unhinged the right has become when they denigrate a stalwart 30 year conservative senator (Senate Minority leader no less) as a dunce.

4. Commodore

Mark Levin calls for a new Republican Party and for replacing McConnell/Boehner

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/au1xXe23fKI?start=268" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Buck Turgidson

Cornyn did the same. Cruz has zero friends in high places and it'll be interesting to see how his re-election campaign works out.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Your question shows a confusion between two things happening at the same time does not mean one caused the other.

Increasing debt during a big depression does not instantly lead to growth,but it makes less bad. Austerity makes it worse.

A lot of the growth in debt is due to the financial collapse caused by deregulation. You oppose it no doubt, but expenditures for food stamp and welfare go up with a collapse. Also with a collapse tax revenue is lower due to decreased business and personal income taxes.

In addition a lot of the debt was caused by 30 years of increasing tax cuts primarily for the wealthy , which despite the pleasant fantasy of supply side theories, leads to debt.

Interestingly a possible way to create more growth leading to less debt would be to tax the rich more, and then laundry the money to the poor and middle class in corresponding tax cuts for them. Pretty much the opposite of what has been done inn the last thirty years.

This would be instant trickle down with an increase in consumer spending. Too bad our bought politicians won't suggest this next election cycle.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure that was abandoned long ago.

8. mc mark

Right? Since Ref posted that I've been trying to figure out who actually believes that anymore.

9. Commodore

Obama's position is: "give me all the spending and debt I want or I'll shut the government down and blame you".

The Dems love these all or nothing propositions, because there's no limit to what "all" can encompass.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that's never been what Obama has proposed ever.

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Bullsh!t. Obama has never said anything remotely like this.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Very true -- that's Tea Party and Republican position of what Obama's position is. Which now-a-day almost automatically means it's false given their track records. Keep up the good work.

13. mc mark

The unhinged right speaks again.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Can I get a link? TIA.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's been every president's position since we've had a debt. It never was an issue though until recently.

16. Major

Major Member

You mean the liberals that, the minute Obama came into office, passed a gigantic tax cut?

17. Major

Major Member

Or maybe it's "you just passed a budget TWO WEEKS AGO with overwhelming bipartisan support in both chambers. Now pay for what you just voted for."

18. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I know! I've been telling this to people for years but I just can't seem to find a link that is even 2% close to what you've quoted. Can you help me out here?

19. mc mark

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell endorses the Affordable Care Act.

His latest re-election ad in Kentucky.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hlYsDVjBkZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. mc mark

Happy Birthday Mitch!

Democratic rival, Alison Lundergan Grimes' press release today.

[​IMG]