1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Issue with UT [Need unbiased advice]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Apparently a lot of grad schools are delayed like this. My gf is still waiting to hear from both OSU and UofO. They said they haven't even reviewed her application yet. I think the chem department is just on top of their game at UofO. I'm not sure.

Best of luck to you, hope Oregon stops dragging their feet.

2. Steve_Francis_rules

Don't forget that UofO has the benefit that you could still watch the Arizona Wildcats basketball team live once per year!

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

true, but UA has neem to houston a couple times the last 3 years. Watching them at Rice was pretty cool because you could be so close...since the arena/room they play in is so small. :)

If you were going to end up going into the private sector, i would lean more towards UT, but since you want to be in academics for life, i would lean more to what you think is the best fit for you and not necessarily which program has more prestige.

At the end of the day, your work and research in the field will trump all.

Have you lived in Oregon before? might be a tough transition from Tucson.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm not in grad school at UT, but I have some experience with colleges/universities in general.

-I work at UT (MB). It's a huge, convoluted, dysfunctional mess. The money isn't all in one 'bucket'. Each department controls their own money. In turn, the specific sub-department heads have control of money. THEN, the people who write grants (PhDs) ALSO have control of their own money. If money needs to move around, it's a pain in the arse. I'm giving you this as an example of how screwy it is. One person slacking can gum up the whole process.

-I've also worked at another college, and it's the same way.

-My wife is getting her third degree (second Masters) at a third school. I've never seen ANY HR/Enrollment/Acceptance process go smoothly.

-I'm currently finishing my BS after a -long- break. It's also a dysfunctional mess.

-These are government workers. Say what you will about for-profit corporate run schools, but with them, time is money and the priority is getting you in. In a government scenario, that's not always the case. The priority might be the secretary down the hall's birthday party. Or where to go for happy hour that night. Or someone's kid's dental appointment.

My advice- be sugary sweet and persistent. That's my advice, really, with any scenario dealing with people that you are doing business with. Get into their heads and thought process, stand out in a positive way. When it comes time to get to that big stack of applicants that they've been putting off, yours will invoke some endorphins because you were so nice.

As for which school to go to- I wouldn't be swayed by a nice courting from one school or the indifference from another. The real reason you're going is the school and what it offers in terms of education, right? Don't be influenced by the sales pitch, because in a year, it won't matter when you're balls-deep in post-grad work. That stuff will be a distant blip in your past. Think long term.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I've gone up twice, once in January and once in March. I've lived in some cold (Iowa and Illinois) but nothing major. It will be a massive change, but then again going somewhere with humidity/rain/any weather will feel different.