1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Grandma

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My grandma passed away yesterday, at the fairly young age of 73, after a short battle with lung cancer.

I loved her so much. She was so cool. She had a dozen glazed donuts waiting for us every time we showed up, and the first thing we did was sit at her breakfast bar and eat as many as we wanted. She'd make sure we got some sort of cool toy every Christmas. She'd insist on kissing us on the lips, and I always hated it. She baby talked me, even into my mid 20's, and would playfully do it to my dad as well. I remember the one time, talking to her on the phone she told me, about Alan Jackson, "I'd let him eat crackers in my bed anytime."

She was a tough lady. Lived through a lot of bad things. When I was in fifth grade, she had a massive heart attack and was clinically dead on her kitchen counter, two different times, for a total of about two minutes. That couldn't slow her down. She was diagnosed with lung cancer right after Thanksgiving, and just was not strong enough to fight. Yesterday morning, she had a stroke and a heart attack and went unresponsive. In total, it took four heart attacks, a stroke, pneumonia, lung cancer, and a final reassurance that it was okay, in order for her to give in.

So much I could say about her, but I don't want to ramble. Writing this is a bit cathartic, though. So, tonight around midnight, I begin my journey back to Houston to pay my respects.

Thanks.

2 people like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Condolences. I am very sorry for your loss
    I pray for for you and your family

Rocket River
    Safe journey

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss. She sounded like an awesome woman.

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

It's ok bro, I'm so sorry for your loss. It would be awesome to hear some of grandma's stories. It sounds like she would be the Jack Beer's of grandmas. Prayers for you and family, next time I eat a doughnut will be in remembrance of your lovely grandmother.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you're going through. I just lost my grandma 2 weeks ago at the age of 74. She would have been 75 on Thursday. I wish I would have been able to spend more time with her.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss, bud.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about that. Your grandma sounded like a great grandma even including the embarrassing you with baby talk. When we lose someone it's sometimes those little things that we found annoying when they were alive what we miss the most.

8. AXG

AXG Member

Sorry to hear that. My condolences

9. NateNate

NateNate Member

you're grandma sounds like she was a joy. Appreciate the memories and sorry for your loss.

10. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Really sorry to hear. I lost both my grandmothers in the last year, and I was very close to both of them. For me, I've written a list of memories of them, which I keep adding to when a thought pops into my head. One thing I've learnt about our grandparents generation is that they were a bunch of tough old folk- many of them lived through tough times that we can't really imagine.

11. the shark

the shark Member

Sorry to hear this.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss.

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Very sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was a wonderful lady. Just know that she will always be with you, looking down at you, and proud of you.

14. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Sorry for your loss man. She sounds like she was a great person. You have my condolences.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thanks everyone!

16. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

She's baking glazed donuts in a better place now. Sorry for your loss

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

My condolences. Now you have a great example (minus the kissing part, weird for grampas) of how to be when you become a grandparent.

18. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Eddie nothing like a grandmothers love.. My heart is with you....

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm sorry for your loss. On the bright side, you got to spend a significant amount of time with her. I wish I'd had more time to spend with my grandparents. They died when I was young and I've mostly gotten to know them through stories.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry for your loss, Eddie. It sounds like she was a very special woman -- thanks for sharing those stories. My condolences to you and your family.