1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

My friend just saw Van Gundy tonight and talked about Bonzi....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jjc7329, Sep 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

per v30:

"
    JVG is probably reading this thread and laughing his @ss.

Quote:
    "That was our analysis," Duffy said. "We feel very strongly that Tracy McGrady is very perimeter oriented. Yao Ming is an interior player. Bonzi is an intermediate player that can play in between them. I think you'll see a lot of post-ups, a lot of isos for Bonzi.

He must think Rudy T still coaches the Rox. I know he's a good post up guy but I don't like the thought of Bonzi hogging the ball in iso plays"

I do not know about creating a play to isolate Bonzi, but Bonzi Wells can create his own shooting opportunity-he will not be difficult ot coach-Van Gundy will love his work ethic-the dude practices like it's armageddon...

2. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

per jjc7329:

"Take this for what it is worth. I am a long time reader of the forum, but rarely if ever post. But I feel like this might be important information. My friend just called and said that he was at a charity function in which Van Gundy was in attendance. After the events, he congratulates him on the Bonzi signing. He responds with "well, thanks, but it might be falling apart as we speak". After which his cell phone rings and he answers it with the phrase "talk to me. What's going on." He then briskly walks away to talk in private.

Like I said, take it for what it is worth. I am as excited as everyone on this board about this signing, but I just thought I would pass the information on."

Thanks for the post jjc. This board lives and breathes on Rockets information. Do not pay attention to the beat down people.

Do not worry now- camp is almost here-we are going to be competitive!!

3. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

jjc7329 is a puss- 'nuff said.

4. AggieRocketFan96

So Bonzi supposedly agreed to being a Rocket 2 nights ago and now some wedding will delay any official press conference until at least next Monday? Damn, that is an ominous sign. Rox need to send the press team to this wedding and make the announcement and get this over with.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

dude, c'mon, that's just not necessary.

6. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

per UCANsee2020:

"Van Gundy just called me and said that what he really meant was that his Honda Accord was breaking down as we speak. He's having someone looking at it now so don't worry."

There was an incident-accident when Van Gundy was head coach of the Knicks-'99 or 2000 I think. The team was returning to a subburban airport on a charter flight from an out of town game and the pilot circled too close to Van Gundy's car, flipping it. It was an '87 Honda Civic. Talk about economizer. No one was hurt.

7. Btotherob

Btotherob New Member

Okay...had to post since this got a little out of hand. I was the one that called jjc last night to tell him about this mini-conversation I had with JVG. He's not lying, and he IS a huge Rockets fan. That's why he's the only person I called after I talked to coach. Hell, after the signing was announced yesterday afternoon, jjc called me b/c he was so excited about it, so stop hating on him...he is the biggest Rockets fan I know. Okay, I'm done with that.

This isn't a big deal (hopefully), and I would have loved to follow JVG after the phone rang to see the rest of his reaction, but I couldn't. I congratulated him on the aquisition...he smiled as he was getting on the phone, and said, 'thanks... but it might just be falling apart as we speak." He didn't seem pissed at all...like I said, he even was smiling a little bit for some reason. Then he walked out of the room. The end.

jjc (regardless of this deal happening or not) deserves an apology from some of you internet tough guys.

thanks,
    BR

8. slickrick

slickrick Member

My buddy said CD told him that a deal with minny is in the works he is sending Tmac for M James in return and he also stated that hes willing to throw in Yao to get it done

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm not saying that's incident didn't happen, but if it were falling apart I would think it's because the Rockets(for the second time this offseason) were being used as leverage to get another team to offer more of an incentive.

If agreeing in principle is a barganing strategy for his agent, then I would think another Western Conference team would be in the mix to sign Wells. It wouldn't be as effective with an Eastern Conference team and those happen to the be the teams who have shown the most serious interest.

....but let's hope the Rockets get the chance to rent Bonzi for this season!

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I for one always thought jjc sounded genuine and the context of his story or your story sounded believable. The bottom line is if what you heard comes to pass then you and jjc are the bearer of bad news and people have been known to kill the messenger of the bad news. In addition we (clutchfans) have become a rather large community and as with any large community a certain percentage of the population will be r****ded.

P.S. Be ready to get some flack because this is your first post. No matter that you have been a member since 2002.

#92 Old Man Rock, Sep 29, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  13. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I find it interesting that the Chron says that the Rockets brass are not discussing a thing until the deal is official.

Yet, JVG is talking to random strangers about the Bonzi deal??

Makes no sense.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

don't tell me he asked for a trade kicker

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It makes sense. It wouldn't be the first time JVG has said stuff that the Rockets, as an organization, would prefer he keep quiet on.

16. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Any chance it was his morbid defeatist humor coming out? You are congratulating him on great news for the team and his phone rings and he just says something goofy that he thought was funny? Oh, yeah thanks, but this call may just be Bonzi backing out of the deal? It could have happened just as you state and Van Gundy was being deadpan funny???

17. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

This is a Rockets board. Negative reactions should have been expected to any 'news' that's speculative AND negative.

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

did i ever tell you guys about the time i pooped my pants and called it macaroni when i was 2 years old?

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

hahaha

dang

20. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

ya i work for the team,and i learned the hard way,haha