1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My free agent wish list.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by shaggylambda, Jan 24, 2018.

1. texian

texian Member

Zak Keefer @zkeefer

Free agency isn't "free"/most often is fool's gold.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bumping this up. The word is we are not done in free agency before the draft on the 26th. We've got holes. Who are your top FA targets:

DB's Breeland/EJ Gaines/ Tre boston
    TE's bennett/ ebron
    I think we have to look for OT's in the 2nd round (move up and grab a good one).

#222 Aruba77, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  3. raining threes

They aren't going to spend the money but

Suh/Hankins/Gaines

Luke Wilson

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Still not understanding why Gaines and Fleming are still on the market? Why not build through FA we don't have a pick til the 3rd round, we cant get many starters in either of those positions there. 34 mil left? lock up clowney, he makes 12 mil this year so either have it start next year or add 12 mil onto this year and we still have 22 mil. 5-7 for draft, throw the 15-17 rest at Fleming and a backup qb or demps or a CB... No real reason not to.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe they don’t want to come here.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

HA there is NO WAY that is the case........

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is disgusting is a dirty player like Suh is going to get filthy rich with the bidding war about to begin now that the Jets have upped the ante on their offer that is supposedly a giant one. I guess the moral of the story is, if you are a nasty ruthless, bully of a human being, playing defense in the NFL may just be for you.

9. Aruba77

i'm befuddled by our lack of engagement in the market given the still sizable cap room and sizable needs. I know we will eventually sign a QB; not as worried about that. But sitting out of the TE market completely is really a surprise to me. I also thought they might be in the market for a good slot WR; maybe someone like John Brown, or perhaps a risk/reward WR like Hurns, but again, it really seems like we are content to bottom feed with guys like Coats and Ellington. Surprising to me given Will Fuller's obvious injury issues and the need give Watson some more weapons.

Likewise with the o-line. I appreciate that we went out and grabbed 3 versatile guys to strengthen the line, but we still have some serious depth issues there, both at guard and tackle. I would have expected at least one more meaningful addition there.

And i know it sounds greedy, but i would feel a whole lot comfortable if we added one last DB. Jackson is on the down-slope and a FA next year. JJo is as well and we've got an out next year with his contract. I don;t think we honestly know what we have in Johnson, but either way, if we don't pick up his option; he's also a FA. I just don't see that we are particularly flush in the secondary beyond this season.

So, i'm starting to feel a little disappointed. Of course i'm really happy with the guys we've signed so far, but i need to see more. I get that we'll address LT in the draft given the crap FA market at that position. Maybe they feel the same way about TE and that 's fair. But i still expected more out of FA.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree on all fronts except left tackle. I don't think there is anything worth pursuing there in FA, maybe they have a trade in the offing but I doubt it. I think there going to take a few more low cost flyers and try to use their draft for TE and OL and then hope somebody gets cut in the pre-season worth picking up for depth.

11. showa13

showa13 Member

On the field play does not define the full character of a person. He’s one the nicest, generous, philanthropic players in the NFL off the field, doing a lot to help build Detroit back up. Yes he’s earned the label of a dirty player on the field, he gets way too emotional while playing. But trying to equate his on the field play to him being a ‘nasty, ruthless, bully of a human’ is a mischaracterization of him as a man. Football players aren’t just what they do on the field. Some are but most aren’t.

12. raining threes

No need to be befuddled.

This is a trend of a Bob McNair owned team.

Nook likes this.
  13. raining threes

If true, then the Texans org has bigger problems.

They will never be winners as long as the McNair's own the team. If true

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Or it’s just the particular ones that fans want that are the ones that don’t want to come

You can’t have everyone. Gaine has done a decent job. Can’t fix a team in one offseason. Be patient.

15. Aruba77

i agree that they think there are better options at our need positions in the draft. But that begs the question then ...what are they planning to do with the $30 mil in cap room? because there's no one left in FA that will cost us much cap room to sign.

Extensions for clowney and Mckinney could swallow up half of that room (plus if they want to front load both contracts in an effort to have a lot more cap room over the next couple years, that could swallow up most of the rest). That seems to make the most sense to me.

Is this what other folks surmise?

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Maybe they want to save the cap space to sign Clowney soon, instead of at the end of the season when the bidding wars begin.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

He might be philanthropic, and appear as a nice guy off the field, but nice guys aren't dirty players. It's like Mr. Philanthropic nice guy who can't control his anger and beats his wife behind closed doors.. I am not putting him in a wife beater category, but simply making a point about people who intentionally hurt others, such as ruthless people, who do what it takes to win or control others by hurting them, yet put on a different face at other times.

#237 deb4rockets, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  18. showa13

showa13 Member

I can tell you from experience that nice guys can very much be dirty players, so of the nicest guys I've played football with were the quickest to throw cheap shots. Football competition brings out the emotions and he lets that get carried away to dirty levels I'll give you that, but to define him as a 'ruthless' person in general is still somewhat extreme. He's a super nice guy when no one is watching. Also him on this team would make our defense the best defense in the league and I'd love him on our front next to Watt, Clowney, Honey Badger, and Whit.

red5rocket and Bearius Jones like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I'd love to watch him on this team with this line. We would be devastating. A football team does not need to be the moral police. Let the justice system do its job off the field and let the rules dictate what happens on the field. If he does something dirty suspend him or kick him out. Just enforce the rules. Think how much must of us hate how politics has entered this arena with the kneeling. Know matter if you side with the players or the public (notice I didn't say league since they haven't really taken a stand), don't you hate that our Sunday past time is no longer just about football. Line Suh up with Watt, Clowney, and Mercilus and watch the carnage!

raining threes likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So the niners can release Kap AND just let Eric Reid walk but instead it’s the Texans that are the assholes for not signing them. McNair has made a dumb comment but no one in this owners group is acting different

csj likes this.