1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My fears of reopening schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Aug 1, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cuomo blames NYU for not policing NYC city parks:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/09/09/covid-19-roundup-cuomo-cites-college-cases-campuses-enact-all-student-quarantines-or

Cuomo singled out for scrutiny videotape of a group of New York University students partying in Washington Square Park, which is the core of NYU's sprawling urban campus. "Frankly, NYU security didn’t do anything about it. The local police didn’t do anything about it," Cuomo said.

NYU officials released a statement Tuesday after Cuomo's briefing saying the university "shares the governor's concerns" and that students who could be identified would be punished. But the statement also noted that NYU security officials do not have law enforcement powers and "have no jurisdiction on the streets of NYC or in Washington Square Park, which is a City public park."

The governor on Tuesday reiterated an announcement he made last month that campuses where more than 100 students got COVID-19 would have to switch to remote learning for two weeks. But the governor's office released no new details about those rules.​

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Day 2 of online school for small kids and I can tell you VERY VERY VERY BADLY; INEXCUSABLY BADLY

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

honestly I don't envy you this situation, it was hard enough with young kids with normal conditions. hope it goes as well as possible for you and your family

TexasTofu, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Online school is hell. But this is why we have no option

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious, have you considered hiring someone to help with the online learning. Doesn't necessarily need to be a licensed teacher or preschool teacher, since it may benefit from someone that is skilled at computers and the internet and can act as IT support along with encourage and assist with classroom assignments.

I have seen parents band together to reduce costs and create very small school settings with families they know/trust.

TexasTofu and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is pretty common in Homeschool circles. Probably worth some research for anyone interested.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

How many more teachers and their families will have to suffer...

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3 COVID-19 CLUSTERS IN WEST CAMPUS NEAR UT AUSTIN RESULTS IN ABOUT 100 POSITIVE CASES
    The university is not disclosing where exactly those clusters are.

“This affects us all because we use the same doorknobs and elevators and seat entrances and exits," said UT Junior PJ Chukwuraeh. "So, it makes no sense to restrict the information."

Chukwureah is calling for transparency from the University.

“We are owed some sort of transparency," said Chukwureah. "At least tell us where the hot spots are. ... No one is asking you to reveal the identity of these people because that's against HIPPA.”

"There is a football game in two days with 25,000 people, it's going to be a disaster," said Chukwuraeh.

To get into this weekend's football game, students who bought "The Big Ticket" season package have to test negative for COVID-19. The university is providing the free tests, which leaves Chukwuraeh wondering, why didn't the university use those resources and require students to get tested for COVID-19 before starting classes.
    https://www.kvue.com/article/news/e...d-19/269-859b9dea-f098-42ef-b482-47fc5741e978

I think of all those bars an restaurants all around the campus as Covid spreading hot spots amongst the college kids who frequent them and work in them. As for all the fans in the stadiums....well obviously it's all about making money.

Trump and Abbott don't give a sh*t about this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I know we all automatically believe in HIPAA coz the government told us to, but why is it such a good idea with COVID again?
    I think HIPAA is stupid AF, but not sure. Anyone?

11. Major

Major Member

Just as an FYI, this teacher didn't get it from going to school or dealing with kids. She was teaching remotely. She was at the school for teacher workshops prior to school starting, but apparently she got Covid before that.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Did you read this somewhere?

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Cases among students typically aren't a big deal....UNLESS they are in contact with the vulnerable.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What about coming into contact with someone who might come in contact with the vulnerable?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is what the USA needs. More people to stop following orders. Stop following what the rules say. Start doing what makes sense.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Exiled

Exiled Member

from the beginning I did't anticipate much of epidemiological approaches will ever succeed , I hesitated to send my kids back to school, so for additional assertion I asked a no. of health professional "parents who works closely with a very vulnerable patients " of what they think should be done with their kids and the most common answers were something like :. " I've always sent my kids to school , if they got sick from school , they must take it back to school..even if its covid,.."

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Senator

Senator Member

What were her prior conditions?

What were the testing patterns of the school?

It's a common theme that 99.9% have serious prior conditions and should be far stricter than those without in first place.