1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My fears of reopening schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Aug 1, 2020.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

thanks but sorry im slow on this and still confused.
    are you saying due to hippa?
    so you teach and if someone mid class stands up and says they have it only then can it be announced?

i dont get the toast part either dont ask dont tell?
    it seems counter safety. all for hippa just saying. sorry im slow on this

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes no sense, you did not disclose Covid-positives the student did.

As long as you do not disclose that info to anybody else you should be good.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Teachers absolutely should not disclose that anyone in the class is COVID positive. That is 100% certain. My question would have had that effect.

It's not a privacy issue if someone self-discloses. It's just policy: don't scare people away from the university. There's a whole lot of money riding on this: dorms, dining, parking, etc.

The premise is: the virus is not going away; this is the new normal; we have to go forward like this; we can't wait it out. So causing panic about the new normal is wrong: normal is normal.

To the school, COVID is just another type of flu. It's like a teacher ruining the class and harming the university just because someone caught a cold.

#303 sirbaihu, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Astrodome and IBTL like this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

thanks for clearing it up more. an eye opener and if someone was drunk we would all be tackling the person and in this case we are forgoing safety in name of not covid shaming someone?

an illness that anyone can get. seems weird..

what your telling me is I need to catch up and includes something that can kill 3000 people a day..

new normal? i guess so huh

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Speak for yourself. You, Trump, Abbott and the rest of the GOP may think it's the new normal but the rest of the world might disagree. The rest of the modern world actually nipped this pandemic down to far beyond anything we have done. When 41 other countries have a combined less deaths a day than the state of Texas I wouldn't remotely state our situation as normal.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

A teacher friend of mine, before seeing a recent Star Wars, asked the students that went on a Thursday night how they liked it, and the first response was, "I loved when Han Solo died" - ruined it for him, lulz. Yall teachers should just not talk.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'm reporting the school's thinking. They say this virus is here to stay, and there's no use waiting. We have to push through it.

They also claim you can get sick on the job at any time, with any disease, not just COVID now, so COVID is not very special. They always discuss COVID together with the common flu, etc. "If you get sick with the flu or COVID or anything else, don't come to work."

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Its terrible that they are basically being forced to offer in person teaching or lose funding. Its terrible when people like me, or anyone else have to choose between staying safe and losing their career they worked so hard to get, or put themselves and their loved ones at risk.

B-Bob, sirbaihu, IBTL and 1 other person like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Of course... Florida, and more precisely, the governor of Florida. I hope parents in Florida sue the state and governor for billions...

Florida tells health officials not to release coronavirus data about schools
    https://www.orlandosentinel.com/cor...0200903-wanhmugklvbf7nnfehljb7qdsu-story.html

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I'd only add that this can be common from different viral infections and is not necessarily new to just COVID. Mild/most cases of myocarditis will go away without any lasting damage.

Severe cases can go undiagnosed and sometimes result in heart failure. Severe cases can go away without any notice, but severe cases can cause ongoing and irreversible damage to the heart muscle.

I also believe that doctor lowered his original statement down to 15% but double check for sure.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The New York Times reports that as of Sept. 3, there are over 51,000 cases at over 1,020 institutions in the U.S. — and at least 60 deaths.

Here are the numbers of COVID-19 cases at Texas universities
    Russell Falcon
    22 hours ago

University of Texas Austin / 601 cases
    St. Edward’s University /1 case
    Austin Community College district / 12 cases
    Texas State University / 291 cases
    Southwestern University / 5 cases
    Texas A&M University / 747 cases
    Baylor University / 824 cases
    University of Texas at San Antonio / 5 cases
    Stephen F. Austin University / 42 cases
    University of Houston / 190 cases
    Texas Tech University / 717 cases

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/here-are-the-numbers-of-covid-19-cases-at-texas-universities/

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Are School Reopening Decisions Related to Union Influence?":

https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...ing-decisions-related-to-union-influence.html

Are School Reopening Decisions Related to Union Influence?
    by Tyler Cowen September 5, 2020 at 9:47 am

Yes, in short. Here is a new paper from Corey Deangelis and Christos Makridis:

The COVID-19 pandemic led to widespread school closures affecting millions of K-12 students in the United States in the spring of 2020. Groups representing teachers have pushed to reopen public schools virtually in the fall because of concerns about the health risks associated with reopening in person. In theory, stronger teachers’ unions may more successfully influence public school districts to reopen without in-person instruction. Using data on the reopening decisions of 835 public school districts in the United States, we find that school districts in locations with stronger teachers’ unions are less likely to reopen in person even after we control semi-parametrically for differences in local demographic characteristics. These results are robust to four measures of union strength, various potential confounding characteristics, and a further disaggregation to the county level. We also do not find evidence to suggest that measures of COVID-19 risk are correlated with school reopening decisions.

And please do note that last sentence again:

We also do not find evidence to suggest that measures of COVID-19 risk are correlated with school reopening decisions (emphasis added).

Via the excellent Kevin Lewis.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Less risk is relative and without describing what that is, doesn't provide much info on impact, which the study said it does NOT provide. It's very possible that the baseline is just too risky / concerning for most Union to NOT push for all-virtual class. The only other possible conclusion (other than the one noted below) I can take from this is that teachers are likely concerned about their health.

Although our results are robust to several analytic models and various layers of controls, readers should still interpret them with caution because of the observational research design. In addition, our findings do not mean that teachers’ unions and their leaders are not truly concerned about health risks for their members. Our results only tell us that public school districts with less COVID-19 risk are generally not more likely to reopen with full-time in-person instruction. Furthermore, our study is limited in that it only provides information on whether school district reopening decisions are related to union influence—it cannot tell us whether that influence generally leads to the socially optimal reopening plan or not. Specifically, this study does not provide information on how these reopening decisions affect teachers, students, or their families. Future research should seek to calculate the costs and benefits for each of these stakeholders associated with reopening schools fully virtually in the fall of 2020.

#313 Amiga, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yeah, it's sad and risky. Now we still have large groups of Maskless selfish idiots gathering in masses at rallies, parties, outside bars, and everywhere else spreading the virus around without giving a damn. Its recess abandon.

We have a President who allows it, even at his gathering, Governors who don't stop these gatherings from happening, like in South Dakota with Sturgis followed by a State Fair or Florida with packed Maskless morons in the stands at football stadiums. Then the push for opening of schools, colleges, and sports games. Huge parties and fans gathering, with no masks or social distancing. After all, a beer to the mouth requires no mask. It's not like anyone is stopping them.

So, people are just supposed to get used to the idea of letting it spread and forget about it getting under control. That, or stay in lockdown forever if you are at risk, because the President and Governors won't lockdown.

People are still dying by the thousands, hundreds of thousands more are lying in hospital beds, many can't even afford the hospital bills, being out of work, and become debt ridden and broke. It's horrific to think our President can twist this all into his warped, greedy view of him doing a great job.

Doing a great job Mr. President doesn't mean for an exclusive group who got richer all these months. It doesn't include those out of work, sick, suffering, or dying. It includes Donald and the filthy rich. America is nothing like it was before the Crooked Narcissistic Compulsive Con took over.

Vote that psycho out. Putin can have him. America doesn't need him.

#318 deb4rockets, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Oh what? A 21 year old died of Covid? What?
    I though only old people died of it. Why didn't anyone tell me I was at risk? Trump said it was safe to go back to school. Trump said play football.

IBTL and RayRay10 like this.