1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My fears of reopening schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Aug 1, 2020.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually national guidance does play a role in those decisions. It is accurate that local areas have the final say but the Federal Government can control a lot of purse strings and that will influence the decisions that are made.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've spent the last five months watching this decision-making process unfold at a Tier 1 research institution, married to someone who has been involved in that process at the highest level, and I can tell you that as regards the "in-person" vs. "virtual instruction" re-opening decision, the "the Federal Government can control a lot of purse strings" consideration has had virtually zero influence on that decision.

This is not to say that certain federal policies have no effects at all. Obviously the F-1 visa guidelines issue did, but ultimately that really didn't affect the basic question of opening with in-person instruction vs. virtual instruction. It simply complicated the implementation of whatever re-opening plan was being considered at the time by individual institutions.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

My school took federal money through the CARES act, and half of it (about $30 million) is earmarked for in-person teaching.

deb4rockets, jiggyfly and joshuaao like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

good point

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.
  5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I must say, after all my fretting and anxiety, my school gave me a health exemption at the last moment (based on age alone, apparently: 52), so I am teaching online now! Kudos to my school. And they have laid off no one, out of a huge faculty. Respect.

I can't tell you what a difference it makes, going to bed at night, not fearing I might wake up sick in the morning. That would extend through the whole year. I imagine parents of young students will feel that way all school year.

as I lay me down I realize
    we are being terrorized

Half of my American students wanted to attend class in person. About 5% of my international students wanted to attend in person. So about 9 students didn't get their wish.

I filed three different requests and one appeal to finally get out of the classroom. My impressions is that the school was glad to give out exemptions and get out of liability, but the only way to do it was to file a health claim.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm sure it varies and depends on the board of governors etc. I know of at least one University where there were absolutely influence and additional attempted influence by those that align themselves with what Federal Leadership puts forward. But there is also push back and some Universities have enough to not be influenced while others don't.

deb4rockets, Os Trigonum and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's interesting to know, I'd also be curious about which university if you could share it. I will say as a followup to sirbaihu's point about the CARES Act money--I think any college or university for whom that is a serious enough amount of money to influence their decision to open live vs virtual, is probably already going to be in the situation financially of having to reopen and go live, because of the money involved with housing and dining halls etc. There are a lot of small schools that live hand-to-mouth and require the room and board fees from undergraduates to break even. So even there while the federal money is not insignificant, it is really irrelevant to a decision those schools are economically forced to make to re-open live. The "choice" to go virtual was never a real option for those small schools with little or no financial resources.

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Sure, the University of Toledo in Ohio

They are pretty much a midsize towards the smaller end of middle, I'd say.

deb4rockets, Os Trigonum and RayRay10 like this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's great news!

sirbaihu and RayRay10 like this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

sirbaihu and RayRay10 like this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Roll Tide!

It's hard to astonish anymore with breathtaking displays of leadership Abdication, what with 200,000 Americans dead, 1000 a day dying, and the President actively not caring and in fact trying to make it worse.

But congratulations Alabama, University of, you have caught my eye.

deb4rockets, DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And, not surprising...

University of Alabama orders faculty to keep quiet about outbreak
    https://www.ajc.com/news/university...et-about-outbreak/7ZAHSQPNDRBINBEF3A6YAVMPRE/

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

mdrowe00, B@ffled, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

So you’re telling me that by limiting testing, limiting visibility, suppressing information, not having access to affordable healthcare, and not having a financial safety net for exposed people that cases skyrocket? Obviously, this is the work of an unnamed, highly coordinated group of people trying to undermine American society and it’s economy for the sole purpose of making our baffoon of a president look more baffoony.

Or you know, it could just be common sense. I swear that we live in the dumbest timeline of the Twilight Zone.

mdrowe00, RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Is the shade of red in Republican party starting to look like the red in Red China?

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.