1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Faith in Religion Is Gone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Manny Ramirez, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I don't participate hardly at all in this forum but knew this was a D&D topic. I have had a lot of crap happen to me this year and I am fighting MAJOR depression. I have been a Christian since I was 16 (I'm now 38) and always tried praying, going to church, and reading the bible to get me through the tough times. However, those things haven't really been working for me. I quit going to church about a month ago and I don't know if I am ever going back.

I still believe that there is "probably a" God but I don't know if He is really out there looking out for me or my family. So I have not become an atheist but more likely an agnostic. I feel that religion is a bunch of bunk that has been created to make us "feel good" about the fact that after we die, because we don't want to face the possibility that we will cease to exist.

So MadMax, rhester, and anybody else whose faith is still there - convince me that what I have concluded is not true.

2. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Welcome to the club

1 person likes this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Try buddhism if you need a religion.

4. dback816

dback816 Member

I think this is the part where people tell you God isn't suppose to be looking out for you or kids with terminal illness or starving African children or child soldiers in war torn lands or anyone for that matter......and everything is our fault.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, I guess but I don't understand the belief that when you have problems, you can pray to God and He will fix things for you.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well, the thing about religion is that there always seems to be a way to flip things around, especially when you can use literature to justify the explanation. In this case, someone would tell you that God isn't suppose to "fix" your problem directly like you're looking for. Instead he'll just present you better opportunities later on or something like that.

I've been through all that already and i just think it's better to keep it simple. I consider myself to be agnostic and just try to control what i can and move on when i can't.

7. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

I have been battling the same thing since this summer but I think my faith is stronger than ever. I can't tell you what to believe, then only thing I can say is what strenghtened my faith: I was thinking things in the wrong way, and maybe what happened to me was really something to strenghten me. I had depression too but whenever I prayed to God to keep me from darkness, it seemed to work. When I prayed for something and it did not come true, I realized it probably was not the best thing for me, but when I prayed for other things that I realized that were good for me, they seemed to happen. If things are not working out, you are probably on the wrong path and you have to find the right path, and pray for God's help.

Seek him by praying for a variety of things such as enlightenment, peace, light, success for particular events, needs... if you pray for something and it does not happen, pray for something similar that you think might be better.

But that's just me.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Just don't sever the long-term friendships or ties to the community; and make sure you actually have something to do on Sunday morning: no one admits it but that's pretty much the only reason most 21st century middle-class Americans go to church.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, I can't convince you that what you have concluded is not true/is true.

However, I can convince you that you do not need to believe in anything to live a good, happy, fulfilling life.

1 person likes this.
  10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Manny I feel ya, I mean my thoughts on the subject have been pretty well documented here over the years. For awhile I craved validation for my beliefs, I needed someone to tell me that my doubts were normal, and that the cognitive dissonance could work itself out. I eventually discovered that life could be beautiful and wonderful without a belief in God. I'm so much happier being free.

Please please please, lean on others during this period of depression. It kills me to think about situations in which people think they have no one to turn to. If you ever want to talk about things, hit me up on facebook.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Just want to follow up and say that you don't necessarily need to tell anyone around you. This is basically a game of poker, no one needs to know your hand for you to get what you want and still be a decent person.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Also, religion isn't for everyone. There's people who need it and for whatver reason they don't seek it or don't find it. Other's aren't cut out for it, but are already a part of it. Either one will screw with your thinking and emotions. Find what's best for you.

13. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Abandoning your lifelong beliefs in the midst of depression doesn't seem logical. Depression is a medical problem, I would suggest getting it taken care of, then thinking about spirituality.

15. Major

Major Member

I don't think that's what Christianity says. :confused: I thought it was the opposite - that there will be difficult times, and that the life of believers on Earth may be filled with pain and difficulty, etc.

16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

join the club.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What do you think should be happening based on your prayers and church attendance? If you are continually depressed, prayers and church aren't the entire answer.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Manny, putting aside the religious quandry you have at the moment, I think you should consider getting counseling. That's from reading your post, which is all I have to go by. That, and the countless posts I've read from you that touch on your personal problems, leads me to believe it's not so much religion that has you by the short hairs, but rather the totality of circumstances you've had to deal with the last couple of years. You need to address everything. I have a feeling the religious aspect will deal with itself, in time.

Get some counseling to help your situation with your life, if that makes any sense. And good luck. You're a hell of a nice guy who deserves some happiness and some freakin' good luck. Anyone who loves music as much as you do has a lot going for him. :)-

#18 Deckard, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    2 people like this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

God is looking out for you. Otherwise you would be posting this on a Utah Jazz forum.

I echo Deckard's suggestion.

#19 Zboy, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  20. SunsRocketsfan

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Whether you find faith again or not I hope it all works out for you.