1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Experience with Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Mar 11, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was laid off from a job about four months ago, it was a professional job but I never was a permanent, a contract employee. No severance package So I filed for unemployment benefits and was approved.

so instead of sitting around the house all day waiting for interviews, I decided to take a part time job. I got a job for an energy markerter, pushing people to switch their power company. the job involved standing at a booth in front of grocery stores trying to solicit people. the pay was $75 a contract, customer had to be approved to get the commission, no hourly rate. my first ever sales gig.

since the job was part time and since the pay was commission, sometimes i didn't earn anything, i still received benefits. if i made any money, it there would be money subtracted from my unemployment benefits. you have to file every two weeks, report any time you have worked and any income.

long story short, in two months i made $396 of which $96 was training. i was let go. so the following two weeks i didn't report any hours. my benefits were held up. i had to call and give the reason why i was separated from work and had to wait for the employer to give their reason. my idiot manager said i quit. because that was the reason they gave my benefits were disqualified.

there is an appeal process, i will have to wait about a month, the employer will get it straight, they have no reason to fight, the benefits are based on another job. its just stupid, what's even stupider is the unemployment agency encourages you to take a job within your pay history and only start reducing expectations after two months. needless to say i used to make more than four hundred dollars in two months.

just frustrated, will be alright till i get it fixed.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Jezz man, me and the wife have had to deal with them in past because of layoffs and it's a massive pain in the ass and nothing is done with any sense of urgency, I sure hope it all gets fixed sooner than later!

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Sorry about that. I remember going through the pains of unemployment 6-7 years ago and that was when the economy was doing alright, I cannot imagin the cluster*uck it is now. Hopefully, everything will work out for the best.

4. jonjon

jonjon Member

Good luck my man, if and when you get through the appeals process you'll get back payment.

Good thing there is technically no such thing as an "Unemployment Office" in Texas anymore. You'd have to wait in long lines in a government "office" all day as opposed to being put on hold on your phone at home.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I was let go on the 25th of January. I learned the hard way from the last time I was out of work that if you can help it, do NOT quit a job. If you quit a job or was dismissed for "gross work misconduct", then you will get denied unemployment. But pretty much every other reason for losing a job will cause you to still get unemployment.

My problem is that I have a part-time job (thankfully) as an adjunct instructor for a local community college and I get paid at the end of each month. Since I had this job, it caused my UI to be delayed. I couldn't start filing until the week ending the 4th of February and I didn't get my first check deposited into my account until probably 3 weeks or so later. As someone else said, whether you are in TX, TN (like me) or any other state, they don't move with a lot of urgency even though you are needing any penny you can get to live!

But I was under the impression that I would be getting $305 a week since I have 2 dependents under the age of 18 living with me and my wife (daughter and son), but because I have the part-time job, I have to report it. So, when I did get my first UI check it was only $154 or roughly half of what I was expecting. Which means I am having to use more of my savings than I wanted to - things can never be easy or simple, it seems.

The good news is that both my wife and me had interviews this past week and we both felt they went well. If she gets her job, it wouldn't be until the start of the next schoolyear but that is okay. Hopefully, things will work out where we will both be working full-time soon.

6. amaru

amaru Member

wow good luck man

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I get that, but the point is even if i did really quit, my benefits are based on another job, and i probably spent more money trying to get to the part time job than i earned.

8. Manny Ramirez

Yea, I know. I was just relating my "lessons learned"; believe me, I was very worried that I would get denied UI but was reassured that would not happen. Sounds like you have done all you can do; it is just a sucky process for you to have to endure. Good luck to you man.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Manny, I am saying extra prayers for both you and your wife get job offers. Keep us updated!

1 person likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Good luck on the job hunt everyone.

11. Manny Ramirez

Thanks NRF,

What is the latest with you? Have you been able to find something else than what you have been doing? As Invisible Fan said - good luck to all on the job hunt.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

pgabriel -- what kind of job are you looking for? Perhaps I, or others on the board, could be of help.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Manny, I am doing my best to hang in there at the current job, but the good news is that I have an interview with a really cool company (in Seattle) on Monday, and another possible lead with another company (this one near Boston). So hopefully we both will be able to celebrate good news soon.

14. Manny Ramirez

NRF,

I will pray for your interview and possible lead. It would be awesome for both of us to have good news to celebrate. Take care.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

my last job was in credit in the energy field. thanks

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

That sux...I hated dealing with stuff like that when I was out of job a few years back...my mom was laid off last year and we had to do the appeal process...basically its their word vs. yours so it was very frustrating...

YOur situation is different and it'll take a while to go through the bs...it's almost like you're better off to sit on your arse and not work so it doesn't screw up your bi-weekly payout...:rolleyes:

I've sent you a pm for a guy I used for credit jobs...most are in Houston, not sure where you're at...Good luck...

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Any hint as to the name of this company?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well i have some good news, this went in my favor. can't complain too much, its not the greatest thing living on the government dole, i'm willing to take almost anything offered at this point but i promise i'm looking guys

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do they still make folks jump through hoops in order to collect their unemployment check? Years ago when my wife was getting unemployment, she had to meet with them twice a month as well as show that she was activiely pursuing a job via resumes, interviews, etc.

Good luck on the job search.