1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My dream for Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Jun 6, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

100% false. Houston grew up with streetcars.

1 person likes this.
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

look at when the population of Houston exploded.

please.

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

And now the city is densifying. Houston is young and no where near as mature as other cities. Unless our source of power changes for cars then Houston will evolve.

4. bigtexxx

Houston is densifying, yes, but keep in mind the cities in the NE are over ten times as dense as Houston. NYC has 27,000 people per square mile. Boston around 12,000. Houston is about 1,500. Houston's density....eh.

Why would we need to change the source of power for cars?

5. da1

da1 Member

You're admitting defeat in the argument. Shocking

6. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I guess rising gas prices while living in a sprawling city is acceptable...

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Is it really considered sprawling when jobs, food, school, etc is all within your area? If you wanted to stay in Katy, you could. If you wanted to stay in the Woodlands, you could. Why is it considered sprawling just because Katy and Woodlands is far from each other?

8. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

It's sprawling when you have to drive to get anything. Do you know what sprawling is? Our population density is laughable compared to other major cities.

9. Yonkers

OK, fine. If simply the fact that we have low pop density makes it sprawl, then it is sprawl. It is what it is. That's the definition someone made up.
    But to me I don't see the difference between us and having to live in New Jersey and take the train into Manhattan? Or is that cool because it's mass transit?
    They have to do it because Manhattan is too expensive. I wouldn't say inner Houston is too expensive but we do it basically for the same reason. We have better schools and cheaper housing out in the suburbs. Most of our suburbs are cities unto themselves and it possible for you to work right within your community.

10. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

East Houston: The Detroit of Texas.

Connect us to you!

11. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

It's a sprawl bc we have single family homes about a 1/4 mile away from downtown. The city is not pedestrian friendly bc everything is spaced out. Our public transportation is garbage bc we have a lot areas to cover many of which are low in density. Just bc you can live and work in a community does not mean it's not a sprawl. You still have to use a car, that's sprawling and it's not a made definition.

We are a sprawling city.

12. Yonkers

Of course it's a made definition. And it's not even that I disagree with you that we sprawl by that made up definition. But we sprawl for the same reason that NYC doesn't. We can and they can't. Just because another city does it one way doesn't mean we have to. I watch those real estate shows on HGTV where people go shopping for condos in NYC, London, Paris and other high density locations. They all live in 400-500 sq ft places. So yeah, it's possible do so. Why do we have to do that here?

13. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

It's inevitable as the city continues to grow and densifies. Considering the space we have Houston will never be NYC which is fine. But not having walkable neighborhoods with stores in accessible locations is a problem. I have to walk six blocks until I reach the nearest bus stop... Our gas consumption is disgusting and wasteful. Urban sprawl is also inefficient and costly. You think it's a coincidence Houston roads are filled with potholes and cheap remedies for them? Our tax dollars are being spread out and it shows.

14. Yonkers

You can play a game of woe is me all day long. You want to try with a New Yorker and see how long that goes?

15. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Irrelevant.

16. bigtexxx

Your argument is so weak.

Many people don't give a crap if they can have walkable neighborhoods. Who cares, since you can just drive wherever you want in a short amount of time?

17. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

It's so weak most world class cities are built that way...

18. bigtexxx

"world class city" is subjective. Why are so many people from NYC and the large California cities moving to Houston?

oops, your argument just fell apart

19. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Most of those people aren't moving to Houston for lack of great public transport. As this city's economy draws more people from other states with better mass transit, you'll see more support for the OP's idea (and maybe yours too) because the high number of cars on the road and their past experiences will make them vote for change.

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Cost of living and current job opportunities. My argument is fine. You're the one who does not have much to stand on with opinions.