1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My dream for Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Jun 6, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

If it was up to me, I'd build out the current university line, except down westheimer which was the original plan, and also the uptown line. In addition, extend the southeast and east end lines to both meet at Hobby Airport, and then have one line from Hobby go down to Pearland. Also, a line down parallel to washington/memorial/allen parkway to connect to northwest transit center. Possibly further ROW could be used for BRT lines.

And then commuter extensions, I'd eliminate HOV lanes and put commuter rail lines there instead, similar to Chicago. Technically light rail could work there since it can go up to 65 mph. One down 45 from Woodlands to Galveston with major stops at Greenspoint and Downtown and extensions to Hobby airport and IAH, one from Katy into Houston on I-10 with a major stop at northwest transit center to pick up people coming from 290 line, then Sugar Land to Humble on 59, with an IAH connector and a major stop at Greenway plaza as well as Hillcroft transit center. Also one up 290 to Cypress. These lines could all end up at a major downtown intermodal center. In addition, a line starting at hillcroft transit center down westpark ROW until highway 6.

With both light rail in the city and out to the suburbs, I think the majority of residents would be satisfied, because even if coming into the city, residents would have a good way to get around the inner portion of the city as well. Also buses would feed into train stops, so people could get places from train stops. This does leave 249 high and dry though I'll admit.

This plan would make the northwest transit center, hillcroft transit center, IAH, Hobby, Greenway Plaza, Galveston, Woodlands, Cypress, Pearland, Sugar Land, Humble, Katy, and Downtown major transit hubs.

Probably will never happen, but we can all hope.

Thoughts?

2. da1

da1 Member

Also would remove pierce elevated, 59 from 45 to 10, and 10 between 45 and 59, to help regenerate life in downtown. There are already good exits into downtown from 45 south, 45 north, 59 north, 59 south, 10 east, 10 west, and 288 north anyway.

3. Classic

Classic Member

You need to try and become a city planner or something. You're obviously passionate.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

southeast and east lines?

I don't want to sound rude, especially to a fellow Houstonian....but I don't think anyone really cares about anything east of downtown.

I grew up on the Westside (Between the Beltway & Hwy6, i-10 & westheimer) and I know people from just about everyone on this side of the city who really don't think much of what is East of downtown.

Cypress, Cyfair, Katy, Cinco, Sugar land, First Colony, Alief, etc etc, all of them I'm around quite often and have many friends whom live in the aforementioned parts of town, and they all pretty much share the same sentiment.

Hell, I never went East of downtown before I went to U of H unless I was going to Galveston.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd improve the climate.

6. da1

da1 Member

Also the bikeways

7. DreamRoxCoogFan

I'd love the plan as long as you got the funding for an L train along with everything else. You have to admit- a rail down westheimer would be a nightmare

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

da1-- what do you do for a living? Also, I highly recommend you read the book Triumph of the City if you haven't already.

9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

id turn highway support beams into towering vertical gardens and add LED lights to accent the edges at night

10. da1

da1 Member

L train on 610?

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So you're from the west side, know and talk to people who live on the west side, and that's why you think the east side is nothing to care about? :rolleyes:

Here's a crazy thought. Perhaps a lot of these people depend on public transportation to get their daily jobs and school. Public transportation isn't just a means to get you to sporting events, concerts, and other types of entertainment.

#11 RV6, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You know you could have posted this crap in the METRO rail thread, man. :rolleyes: But, NoOOoOOOooooo... you wanna start your own thread... FINE...

Why is it any different to build any other rail line to any other direction? Why must it absolutely be the University line? :confused: There's nothing that you can say can convince me otherwise... you have to start somewhere.

14. da1

da1 Member

Only because university and uptown lines are already planned out.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I demand that we invest in streets specifically for Segway scooters, and for the government to subsidize Segway so that everyone may have one.

16. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I get it, but do the ends justify the means? What I mean is do we really spend that much money on public transportation in a city that was built upon the idea that everyone has a car? Forget car pollution and all that stuff for a second, and really think about how this city is expanding.

When I was young, there was nothing really past hwy 6 on i-10. Then about 15 years ago they built Katy Mills. Now you can almost drive to Brookshire before you start seeing empty lots and fields.

You know why? Because there's room to expand. There's not on the east side. The majority of industrial complexes and are on that side as well (refineries close to the port, naturally).

You don't have to have to have a degree and be a city planner to see where the expansion of this city is going.

17. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

This review pretty much summed up the entire rail-opposition in Houston in one sentence:

IOW, **** the poors. Of course the grand irony here is that there is no greater engine for an economy than an upwardly mobile lower class. But I digress.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You want to expand the line exclusively to a side of town where there is more space, but not a lot of need for it?

Also, your side may be expanding, but the east side is rebuilding. There's a ton of new housing immediately east of downtown and more on the way. The gulfage area is growing and busier than it's been in years. A new Walmart is also being built on 45S and wayside. UH-Central is also growing and re-building. As it grows, more of the surrounding area will be bought out to build student housing or businesses. Sometimes it's easier to just build on the outside because it's easier to get space, but as these older buildings and homes on the east side come down, they'll quickly be replaced by new structures because of it's proximity to downtown. People demanded new(er) homes and that keyed the expansion, but now many are realizing the commute isn't worth it and are moving back into the city and closer to downtown, but still want better housing.

#18 RV6, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  19. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

ain't nobody got time for dis

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Translation: White people don't live there so we don't care.