1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Daughter Was Arrested, Expelled And Charged With A Felony For A Same-Sex Relationship She Ha

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, May 20, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

How so?

I don't see how they treated her any different than anyone else arrested and charged with the serious crime of statutory rape.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's not clear. It says arrested for relationship she had as a minor. Sounds like this all started before she was 18.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

The parents are the ones who decide what her daughter can do in this situation. Maybe at the beginning they didn't think anything of it just two girls that love spending time together. My guess is that the 15 year old one day confessed what they had done sexually. That left up to the mom and dad about how they wanted to proceed.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

This is what I came here to say.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

This is why most states have (or should have) an Adam-Eve clause. I get what stat laws are there to prevent, but there's a big difference between a 15 yo consenting to having sex with an 18 yo, and a 15 yo consenting to sex with a 38 yo.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am aware of statutory rape laws. Its just wrong to say its ok to have relations if youre less than 2 years apart, but one day over 2 years, you're considered a sexual predator. The laws are misguided and they ruin many peoples lives because angry parents do not know how to communicate with their promiscuous kids. This isn't the 20's where kids at 15 knew little about sex. Very often by 15, they are very well aware of sex and they know what they want. If you believe that a teenager turns into a full grown adult on their 18th birthday, you're sorely mistaken. Sometimes a little common sense is needed.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

How so, just because the 18 year old is assumed to be an idiot while the 38 year old is suppose to have some sort of sense that he/she isn't an idiot?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I understand your point and I do think there could be some revisions to prevent ruining the life of an 18 year old because he had a relationship with a 15 year old. To me the big part is not it's a crime, I'm fine with that, it's the punishment. Being registered as a sex offender and having a felony record is CRAZY.

That said, none of that is relevant to my point that the article is garbage and wouldn't exist if the arrested 18 year old was a male. The title is a lie because she wasn't arrested for a "same sex relationship" she was arrested for a sexual relationship with a minor.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I can't believe how much work the local police put into this, a sting operation?

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

the law here should be changed to prevent students from being lumped in with other sex offenders.

totally goes against the spirit of the law

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

And more importantly, it diminishes the real meaning of a sex offender. You could find out you have a sex offender next door and they can easily use the excuse that he was prosecuted for having sex with his 17 year old g/f when he was 20 ... or for urinating in public or some of the other ignorant means for labeling a sex offender.
    If I have a sex offender living nearby, I want to know he is truly a threat and not wonder if he got a bad rap.

12. justtxyank

You give a built in excuse for a guy who is dating a 15 year old in high school and actually does rape her when she doesn't want to sleep with him. Believe it or not there are still plenty of couples in high school not having sex.

Prove it wasn't consensual then. Defense is easy. They are a couple. People know they are. He says they had consensual sex.

You can't have a blind exception.

13. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

^

Think you are missing the point.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you build in enough exceptions/loopholes/etc . .. is it really a Law anymore. . .or just a 'strong suggestion'?

Rocket River

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

One sided....

Deserves an article because it's a female?

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

But do cops actually arrest kids out of highschool for having an opposite sexual relationship with a minor?

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

yes, I've known people who have served time. He was 18, she was 15.

18. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Which is why my viewpoint differs on this matter. The spirit of the law is well intended. However, the courts should interpret the law with common sense. They should look at this case and throw it out because the law isn't being applied in the manner it was intended to be applied in. That is the job of the courts. There are limitations to what the law can do.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Yes they do, and it happens more often than you would expect.... especially when there is a parent of the minor upset.

20. justtxyank

Yes they do and in some states it is mandatory prosecution.

In Texas statutory rape is listed as a mandatory reporter.