1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Daughter Was Arrested, Expelled And Charged With A Felony For A Same-Sex Relationship She Ha

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, May 20, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.xojane.com/issues/kaitlyn-hunt

This is why you should never talk to cops.

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

That's bull****. I can't believe the other girl's family would rather place felony charges on the older girl rather than just let their grievances be known. Some people!

3. Nook

Nook Member

This type of thing happens often with opposite sex relationships as well. We can debate whether it is right or not, but I fail to see what the sexuality of the parties matter.

4. Granville

Granville Member

Agreed. Just another person who went to jail over poontang.

5. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

This guy was a former police officer. He should know enough about the law in place to tell his daughter once she turned 18 that her girlfriends parents can pull something like this.

I don't agree with what happened. The law is good but is being used in a malicious way in this case. There should be some kind of stipulation in the law for people that had been together before they become an adult.

Stating all of that, I personally disagree with the sexual behavior, but still don't think what happened was right.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Whoever discourages lesbians is no friend of mine.

7. Nook

Nook Member

There is, and has been, a clear point of law allowing for charges. Would you have an issue if your 14-15 year old daughter was being pounded by a senior in HS?

I have mixed feelings about the law, but I don't know that it is being "abused" in this case.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Don't you mean bi-sexual girls?

This is sad, because there are tons of guys who date 15 year old girls in high school and people are ok with that. How is this different?

9. Nook

Nook Member

Uhh okay..... but I can tell you that it is not uncommon for a male senior in high school to date and sleep with a freshman female and have charges filed against them.

I fail to see how there is a double standard here

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm out of the game so it's all the same to me.

But I agree it's not a sexuality issue. It's just whether or not you think the law is a good one.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Maybe things have changed since I was in high school, but it was fairly uncommon of a thing back then for me. In fact, it was more likely that a guy would hook up with a younger girl than a girl his own age for me.

12. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The law shouldn't have to have stipulations for that. It's the job of the courts to determine how the law is applied. The judge and jury don't have to apply the law in an instance in which it is unjust. They could decide to throw out the case (except in instances in which there are statutory sentencing, which I do not agree with, either, as this oversteps the power of the legislature and diminishes the power of the judiciary).

13. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I think the parents had a right to push for charges. It just seems that there is more to this case than meets the eye. Could the parent's not have known about this or had their suspicions but couldn't do anything about it until the girl turned 18?

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I agree. This stuff happens all the time in hetro relationships. Im sure some will view this as a hate crime against gays though. Equal rights comes with equal responsibility.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why do they have a right to push for charges? If both were consenting, then there is no reason to ruin someones life over this. We are not talking about a predator two decades older.
    It seems like its perfectly find for a 21 year old guy to get another 21 year old girl drunk and take advantage of her, but its wrong for an 18 year old to have a consensual relationship with someone a couple years younger.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's statutory rape. I have no problem at all with bringing in the law. Are they trying to say that as a parent I have some moral obligation to enter some kind of negotiation with the family of a rapist before I press charges?

The lesbian stuff is a red herring. It's a statutory rape case, which is a well-worn path. It's always ugly, but there's plenty of precedent to work with at least.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm with JuanValdez on this.

It's a stat rape issue that the author of this article tried to turn into a same-sex relationship cause. Also, the "ripped from her mother's arms" as if she was an infant still feeding at the breast is ridiculous.

If this was a male being arrested for his relationship with a minor there wouldn't even be an article. People get bagged for stat rape without it making any sort of mark and the parents of a child have ZERO obligation to enter into some sort of family mediation if they find out their minor child is in a sexual relationship with an adult.

18. justtxyank

Also, some crazy quotes:

Um, yeah she's an adult in the eyes of the law. I know it's taboo in society today to consider someone an adult until they are 30, but the law is still antiquated and thinks 18 is the mark.

The description here is just ridiculous. That said, I'm sure being arrested is not a pleasant thing.

All this right here is garbage and is the stuff that families of guys who get popped for this try to say to explain why THEIR kid should be the exception to the law.

This statement is a total red herring. It implies wrongdoing by the police but as she was arrested and there is no mention of a Miranda violation, seems safe to assume she was read her rights. Are the cops supposed to beg her to get a lawyer?

Article is pure trash. I do feel bad for a male OR female who gets popped in these situations and I think the law needs some flexibility with regards to the child abuse portion. BUT, I have my doubts that the girls didn't know the parents wouldn't be OK if they found out.

1 person likes this.
  19. justtxyank

15 year olds cannot consent to sex with an adult.

Minors can't consent. Minors can't consent.

That is the status of the as of now. You diddle a 15 year old when you are 18 you are risking it.

20. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Is it still statutory rape if the parents were aware of the relationship and tacitly allowed it to develop for a few months in order for the girl to turn 18 so they could get the state to press charges, and they could "lock the gay away" from their daughter?

This isn't the case here as far as I can tell; the girl turned 18 around the same time as the relationship started. Just a hypothetical.

The treatment of the girl seems incredibly vindictive, but honestly, our justice system is so messed up, pretty much everyone involved is just following the letter of the law. I'm shocked there isn't a special enhancement of the punishment because it was a same-sex relationship, considering it's Florida, a state that still has bans on sodomy, Gay Adoption, and Gay Marriage/Civil rights in its constitution.

For example, in Georgia, Genarlow Wilson got a mandatory 10 years, and the age difference there was 17 vs 15. Unfortunately it seems like the worldwide leader scrubbed its archives of the piece, but this reprint is still one of the best pieces of reporting they've done, that actually made a real difference.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1773740/posts