1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Cup is Half Full...There's a lot to think about

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sjackson0, Jul 20, 2007.

1. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Maybe this doesn't deserve a thread, but it's irritating sometimes to hear ROCKETS fans complain about getting a real talent like Steve back, but I understand somewhat.

Now many of them have gripes and I understand that, but before you throw more stones, try to remember EVERTHING that took place with the Stevie Francis saga.

When we drafted/stole Steve, it started a new era in Houston and Rudy T made changes to accommodate his new prized piece.. People that had issues with the whole dribble..dribble dribble...chunk up a bad shot had a legit gripe. I hated that offense too, but that's the key word........OFFENSE. This was Rudy Ball and people tend to forget that. That was Rudy's offense.....spread the floor, break down your man and make something happen. Now he threw some high pick and rolls in there, but mainly...spread the floor and break who ever was in front of you down. It was a horrible offense and we all knew that. But every night, Steve, Cat and Moochie were allowed to do it....over and over again. Have we all forgot that? Is that ALL Steve's fault? That was Rudy's bread and butter...one of the reasons things had to change.

When Van Gundy was hired, the offense changed. A lil more motion and they played well under Jeff his first year. Many have selective memories. Steve wasn't averaging the 21ppg 6 and 6 anymore, but he did pull a modest 16ppg 6 and 6 and the team was better for it. That was an exciting year....again people have selective memories. We went to the playoffs and gave the Lakers all they could handle. Steve was great in that series...Great. Think back. The way he fought and put that team on his shoulders was magical. I remember and will always love him for the heart he showed.

We traded Steve...not because he was bad, but because we had the chance to land a TOP FIVE PLAYER. I hated to see Steve go, but the trade had to be made. Orlando had a BAD GM at the time that held grudges and sent Tracy to Houston. I would have made that trade 10 times out of 10 for obvious reasons.

Steve went to Orlando and put up great numbers. Orlando had a motion offense.....there wasn't any isolation basketball being played there. He thrived and averaged 22ppg 7 and 6. He was doing just fine in a normal offense until they traded his boy lol. Think about it for a second...he wasn't traded away from Orlando because he was a bad player, he got traded because he publicly criticized a bad GM John Weisbrod (i think that's his name) for trading Cat (20point scorer) for Doug Christie, who played like 20 games and retired. It was a horrible trade and the hockey/basketball GM decided it was time for disgruntle Steve to go. Now, production fell off and Steve sulked and I understand that he needed to mature at the time...but we all knew that was a BAD trade and Steve had a point. Ooh...John Weisbrod was fired the following year I believe.

The New York Knicks things doesn't need explanation...they are the Knicks.

I think/thought that Steve got/gets a bad wrap most of the time. Now, he deserves some heat from some of the things he's done and said, but overall...this is a good guy that I believe will help this team over the hump. If people are going to remember him for being a dribble master that played a bunch of one on one basketball, that's fine but also remember who was calling that isolation play from the sidelines. Something has to give. I'm sure that he has a chip and wants to prove a lot people wrong and also prove to himself that he's a winner. Why else would he come back to a team that has a 1st and 2nd option and take less money? He's ready to win.....let's give him a change and be Rocket fans.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

People who hate Steve think that he'll play the way he used to here. He was like a James Bond 007 with license to shoot.

Aside from that, he had some immature attitude problem.

If those 2 things are gone, and Steve is willing to bring his old kamikaze game back, then he can be very useful. That's the only part of his game that we can capitalize on. I don't want him to shoot from outside. I don't want him to dribble for 18 seconds. I want him to cut to the basket when Yao gets doubled. I want him to drive to the basket hard, get a foul or pass the ball to Yao or Tmac to finish the play if he gets doubled.

3. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

There is no Rockets team I want more to win a championship than the coming one. I want to win it with Steve and if Cuttino comes back it would truly be a fairy tale.

4. sjackson0

Right....and the only time Steve has ever played like that was when he was allowed to. Rudy was the only coach to allow Steve to play one on one, break down your defender type basketball. He won't dribble the clock down here because the offense doesn't call for that. He knows how to play with a team and he will prove many wrong with selective memories.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Steve's body is not the same as it was when he was here. It's breaking down, and he will have to rely less on athleticism and more on intelligent decision making.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

if you cup is half full, you should think about getting plastic surgery to take care of that. Most girls can't tell the difference between the rel thing and silicon anyway

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

My glass if half empty:

- Stevie might have "shot" knees!!!

- Mike James is getting up there in age...33/34...most guards start losing "it"

- Scola....has not proven anything...he might as well be a bust.

- McGrady is getting worse each year.

- Bonzi might still be Bonzi of last year.

- We still don't have a big body PF that can rebound and play D...

There are a lot of "IFS" on this team....

8. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

Actually I' more concerned about his Network short sting. He had two 2 coaches, LB and Isiah, and he failed twice miserably

9. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

i agree completely

10. sjackson0

\

That's cool....make sure you stay off the wagon ok?

You have a right to your opinon though

11. sjackson0

It was the NEW YORK KNICKS.....it doesn't deserve explanation.

The whole situation was/still and will remain horrible

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm trying to look at this from a 1/2 full perspective and I've come up with 2 good things:

1) He's only paid 2.5 with a player option. We survived Bonzi, we can survive a Francis meltdown if that occurs.
    2) Moochie Norris is not the the 2nd pg option. If Steve wants to dribble, bring in James and even Brooks until Steve gets it. (Assuming Rafer is gone).

Steve is a low risk medium reward.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Points well taken, sjackson0 and white lightning and ChrisBosh, too. This off season has brought some hope after the dismal end of spring. IF Stevie is now Mr Steve and Scola is somebody and Adelman adapts the talents into a unit and if DM the GM can find productive placing of Rafe and Luke and maybe 3-5 others then GREAT...if not, the reality is no one can reasonably pan the moves to date, including and particularly 30-year old with how old knees Steve Francis.

I'm looking forward to: 3:33 this afternoon.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was one of Steve's biggest critics when he was on the Rockets, I hated the way he played the game and thought he hurt Yao's development. (I still feel that way about that particular Rocket's team).

But, that was then, times have changed and the role he is moving into on the Rockets is a different one too.

So, why not welcome him with open arms? He is talented, and plays with passion, and the bottom line is that it is a very low risk move, why not take that chance that Steve has grown as a player and can thrive as a role player with Yao and Tmac.

Steve had to come in and be a leader right away, and that is a hard thing to do, maybe by him coming to a team where he can just fit in, he will find his niche.

I am thrilled that he is on the team, it makes us more versatile, and gives us more pieces to build upon.

Welcome back Steve ! Glad to have you !

DD

#14 DaDakota, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  15. Fuse

Fuse Member

Regardless of whether or not the moves pan out this year, I will still be extremely happy with the way things went. I mean at least we are trying our best despite the limitations that were placed on us. What more can we ask for?

16. sjackson0

I agree

Steve has grown as a player...there is no way he could not have. What gets me is that people have this fixed notice of what kind of player is without looking at ALL the reason as to why he played the way he played while here.
    Rudy WANTED them to play isolation basketball...that was the game plan, but yet Steve gets labeled a dribble butt head. I understand that, but understand that is was the offense at the time. He didn't play that way under Van Gundy nor in Orlando and had two great years under normal systems.

If you are someone that never liked Steve, then nothing I or anyone else can say that will change your opinion...even if it seems obvious to me.

17. sjackson0

Was it Steve or Rudy that hurt Yao's development? I say more Rudy...it was his offense.

I totally agree with everything else. What I love the most about having Steve back is that teams now HAVE to account for our point guard. No longer can Tony Parker, Deron Williams, Steve Nash etc...play the Rockets without game planning for our point guards (including James) I'm not saying that Steve and Mike can guard those guys, I'm just saying that now...the opposing point guards have to play defense the whole game. That alone will help the cause.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know, in all honesty I think Steve was asked to do more than he was capable of doing and Rudy was trying to take advantage of the team's strengths (Iso ball).

So, I guess at the end of the day, the team was just too young and immature to really compete and that was frustrating to watch. I think they held onto Dream too long and started the transition too late. Steve needed a veteran that was the star of the team to learn from, and he did not have that.

Now though, we have a core of players from about 26-32, which is an amazing roster transformation in a short timeframe.

I am excited...and I think Adelman is a great choice to take advantage of the new league rules that make it a more guard friendly league.

DD

19. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

A fairy tale indeed. No pun intended. ;)

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good heavens. Give the man credit. Yao sailed unchartered waters and transitioned GREAT! How many could do what he did? Billy couldn't and his situation had to be umpteen times better for him than Yao's was (just look at this week's controversy with the Chinese Nat'l Team.

Forget Steve; forget Rudy. Give major major props to one of the most outstanding individuals around, in or out of sport. Yao developed Yao and at a pace which has been awesome.