1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My connecting flight is in LA, and I stay there for 12 hrs. What to do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jan 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah 12 hours get out and do something. bus system is cheap and you can research before hand which to take etc.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If you're stuck in the International terminal at LAX, get the hell out. There is NOTHING to do there. I had a 5 hour layover there a while back on my way to Korea, and wished I would have left the airport.

I'd rent a car and go to the beaches (Hermosa/Redondo, etc) or cruise into Beverly Hills. You'd have time to go to Huntington Beach, also, which I like. I always like to eat/drink at Sharkeez there.

If you're short on funds, then figure out the bus system and go to LA Live or something. Just get the hell out of the airport, especially if you're in the Int'l terminal.

3. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Go to Hollywood Park in Inglewood just 3 miles away from LAX and play poker with the degenerates. Win money!

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Most people have already offered the best advise.

If you have enough money for a tour bus/van, try that out. They can take you to SOMEPLACE decent. You might be close enough to walk up the PCH if you don't want to venture too far, though not sure whats all out there.

I wouldnt go any place too far "east" lol.

Its nice weather right now, a beachside setting over in Santa Monica could be good. Going down to Huntington Beach at this time would be good too. But rember that traffic can turn into a nightmare REAL quick, leave 45min/1hour earlier than you normally would just to be safe.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Roscoe's chicken and waffles.

6. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

no need to walk...you can take the Parking Spot bus, the one that goes to Sepulvda or whatever and take the side exit out of the garage and it leads right to In N Out. Then just take the bus back to the airport terminal

7. thisiscaketown

You'll have to drive everywhere, because there is absolutely nothing in the immediate vicinity of LAX, and renting a car will cost within the ballpark of 30-40 dollars. You only have about enough time to quickly visit 2 cities, and each city has its own unique aspect, so you probably won't be able to get much of the "LA experience".

If you're looking for something close, you could head out to Dockweiler Beach or the city of El Segundo. If you like Japanese cuisine and markets, you could drive to Gardena or Torrance and check out the Marukai and Mitsuwa markets, or if you want to try out the more hipster areas, you can head out to Venice. I'm not a big fan of touring the city of Los Angeles unless I feel like putting up with the horrible parking and one-way streets, but that's another option, although you'll have to brave a lot traffic to get there.

8. thisiscaketown

Pretty overrated, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, here is a plan. Take abus to to inglewood Hollywood Park. Make a bet on a winning horse and win 100 bucks. Take a cab to to Hustler Casion in Gardena and bet all of it on a black jack hand and win another 100 bucks. Go to Chinatown massage parlor, look for CoCo for a happy ending. That's going to cost you 100 buck. Top it all off in Fushin resturant where Jackie Chan made Rush hour and hail a cab back to the airport.

1 person likes this.
  10. YallMean

YallMean Member

They are like 40 miles away from LAX.

OP, just stay in the airport if I were you. Lots of bad things had happened in LA.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You can visit some brehs mayne.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

AWWWWW SNAPPPPPP!!! THIS SHIZZLE IS BOUT TO GET KRAY!!!!

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

Had a 7 hour layover. Took a bus to Santa Monica Pier.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

co-signing getting out and heading to Venice or Santa Monica for some sightseeing/people watching. you would obviously need a ride for this. the local bus/transit system isn't the best as far as LAX is concerned, but where there's a will there's a way.

one of your best bets might be taking bigtexxx's suggestion and trying to get downtown to the LA Live center. to get here, all you have to do is hop on the LAX Flyaway bus for $7 each way with no stops. make sure you are getting on the Union Station bus to downtown and it will take you right to the heart of downtown and will put you in walking distance of LA Live. here you can find the Grammy Museum, Staples Center, LA Live Theatre/Nokia Center & plaza with many restaurants and some shopping.

from there, you have subway access to Hollywood if you wanted to

as far as the Flyaway bus, they also go to Westwood for $10, so you could check out the UCLA campus if you wanted to- doesn't seem very interesting to me but whatever floats your boat.

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

12 hours is too long.

If you want to avoid renting a car, you can take the Green Line at LAX through the ghetto to to downtown. There you have bars, restaurants, Little Tokyo, the Staples Center (maybe there something happening while you're there -- it's also a convention center).

If not, you can take the Red Line to Koreatown (Good restaurants and bars, not just Korean) and to Hollywood for the tourist crap.

Or you can take it Long Beach.

I lived there for about 10 years and always tried to make LA work like a real city. It IS possible, but if Santa Monica, Venice or any of any beach city is a must-see for you, rent a car.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

agreed with everything Deji said, but (not knowing when Deji lived here) to take the green line from LAX requires a shuttle bus THROUGH the ghetto first TO the train stop, then taking the train THROUGH the ghetto, with stops, into downtown. I would highly recommend the Flyaway Bus, a more convenient yet still affordable and direct option.

hell, maybe some people like going through ghettos. Watts actually is home to the Watts Towers, considered a National Historic Landmark and the culmination of 33 years of work, a one time must see for anyone in the LA area.

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

what in the hell?

19. Win

Win Contributing Member

Surprised that I am the first to suggest Asian Massage with happy ending. Some of you are really slipping around here.

20. Win

Win Contributing Member

Oooops!! Just noticed YallMean redeemed everyone :cool: