1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Common Sense Compromise to End the Lockout Today

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JLOBABYDADDY, Nov 4, 2011.

1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

The players want 57% of revenue. The owners want to make a profit. I side with the owners, having an MBA background. I say this will satisfy both sides. The players should share in the profits of the league, and get their 57%. However, they should bear 57% of the risk too. I propose this (Numbers are hypothetical, sorry for the calculations, don't feel like making a spreadsheet):

1. The NBA $4.2 B illion in total team revenue for 2012.

2. That revenue is divided between 30 NBA teams ($4.2B/30 = $140M.)

3. The team's total salary for the next year will be $89,171,974 ($140M/1.57)

4. The team allocates a percentage of team salary to each player based on worth. I.e. Lebron gets 30%, D-Wade 28%, Bosh 22%, rest of team 30%.

5. Lebron's salary for 2012 would be $26,751,592 ($89,171,974 * .3), and so on to the last guy on the bench.

6. The following year, the league makes 4.7B, LBJ gets a raise.
    $4.7B/30 = $156.6M per team/1.57=$99,787,685*.3=$29,936,305 is LBJ's salary for 2013.

7. The next year, the league only makes $3.6B. LBJ takes a pay cut.
    $3.6B/30 = $120M per team /1.57=$76,433,121 in total team salary *.3=$22,929,936 is LBJ's salary for the following year.

If the league is making money as the players say it is, then this is a win/win for them. If the league is losing money as the owners say it is, then they get to spread the risk around to the players too. Now, both players and owners have an incentive to make the league profitable. The other thing about this plan is any variation of split can work. 50/50, 52/48, 55/45, etc.

1 person likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

COMMUNISM

Yeah, that's the answer!!!

Your #2 is a purely centralized communist system...right? You really think the owners would agree to splitting revenue/profits equally? What if there was a year of losses? What then? Stern funds the debt to the owner's suppliers?

And how does the league office make sure all the money is reported and shared equally? Would they become a central collection depository of some sort?

Dude, what MBA school did you go to...in Moscow?

3. Dei

Dei Member

That's 110%.

4. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

My bad. 20% for the rest of the team.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Your system rewards poorly run franchises and punishes well run franchises.

6. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Its called "profit sharing" taught at every major university in the world and used by many fortune 500 companies. And my answer to a loss in line 2 is detailed in line 7. The league takes a loss, the players take a loss. The league makes a profit, the players make a profit. Please read the entire post before downing on me.....

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Parts of this have been bantered around a bit. But your plan is inherently based upon true revenue sharing, which the NBA seems more and more likely to avoid. That fact alone draws into question their true motive of "competitive balance" because that alone would do the most to improve that with no other changes in NBA economics.

Also, the argument right now is that the 57% is too much an initial cut of the pie to run the team with the ability for a profit. Especially now, there is no way the owners would ever go that high again.

8. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Actually kind of American
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profit_sharing

9. Raven

Raven Member

Communism, ugh, almost as dangerous as unregulated capitalism.

;)

10. Major

Major Member

Not only that, it still leaves the owners unprofitable since they can't make money at 57% of revenue. This would be a total win for players in that they get higher aggregate salaries.

The original poster conflates profits and revenues, which is odd for someone who says they have an MBA. This last chunk:

If the league is making money as the players say it is, then this is a win/win for them. If the league is losing money as the owners say it is, then they get to spread the risk around to the players too. Now, both players and owners have an incentive to make the league profitable.

Is totally wrong. All it means is that players want high revenues. Owners want higher profits. The two are totally different things - and it's the players' salaries that are preventing the profits in the first place.

11. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

The Owners' incentive to go that high is that if they are TRULY losing money as they say they are, the players will assume 57% of the risk as well with the owners only taking the hit for 43% of the lost revenue.

12. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Please see post #2, correction revenue vs profits

13. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Are higher revenues and higher profits mutually exclusive? Players want higher revenues and owners want higher profits. Doesn't this mean they both make more money?

14. Major

Major Member

Yes, I understand. That's no different than the current system. Owners are currently giving 57% of revenue to players - that's the whole problem. The salary cap ALREADY moves based on if revenues go up and down, so that's not the issue except that you accelerate that move by changing old salaries.

The owners are saying that they can't make money giving 57% of their revenues to the players - period. Leaving that in place doesn't fix the problem at all.

The only thing your suggestion does is re-allocate how the money is distributed to the players, but it doesn't change the total of amount of money being distributed.

15. Major

Major Member

If the players are taking a higher percentage of the revenues, then the players make more while the owners make less. That's the whole reason for fighting over the 50% vs 52.5% vs 57%.

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Right. And if you had read to the end of the original post, you would see where I said the math works with any variation of split. 50/50, 60/40, 45/55, whatever. My whole point was that as it stands now the players want to lock in a percentage based on current revenue, but when you quantify salary with a dollar value it leaves the owners holding the bag if the league loses more money next year. This way, when you quantify it as a percentage, players salaries rise and fall with the profitability of the league.

17. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

The math works regardless. Instead of 57% just swap it for 52%. I said the numbers were hypothetical. The premise is that the players shouldn't get to lock in salaries of $25M while the league tanks, but be able to demand more money if the league if turning a profit. It should be win/win, lose/lose is all I'm saying.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dude, your definition of profit sharing is between one company and its employees. You are describing profit/loss sharing across multiple companies whereby they pool all their revenue and split it. You are describing a classless system between franchises -- i.e., they all operate with same amount of money -- in your example, $140m. You are describing a communist economic model.

Major,

What #2 states is taking all the revenues and splitting them into 30 equal shares -- all owners get the same % of revenue. That is nowhere close to the current system. The owners don't split revenue amongst themselves like that.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Players should keep gunning for their throats. The NBA is nothing without star players, those star players, lets be honest, don't need the NBA platform to earn their money. They can create a new league or play elsewhere. Owners need to accept that running an NBA franchise just isn't going to be as profitable as they'd like. That's how I see it.

That's why I don't necessarily side with the owners.

20. Major

Major Member

But that's the whole problem. The math works at any level, but it leaves the same problems at any level. If the current system doesn't work at 57%, then yours won't. If the current system works at 50%, then yours will. So your suggestion does nothing to resolve the current issue, which is all about the 5.

No, the current system doesn't do that. It lowers the salary cap next year, and there's an escrow fund so salaries already get reduced if they exceed 57% in the current system.

Again, your solution doesn't address any of the league's financial problems.