1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Case for Jimmy Garoppolo

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

If Jimmy G wasn't commanding a 1st or a 2nd round pick, I think the Patriots keep him. The fact that teams are willing to give up a 1st is just too sweet a deal to pass up on. They keep drafting well and letting their "veterans" go.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And I guarantee that if he goes elsewhere and does well (or at least does better than Brock)...plenty of people will be chastising the front office for not doing more to try and acquire him.

As it is, the Texans aren't going to be able to compete with what the Browns, 49ers and Bears could possibly offer.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The valid criticism is drafting bust a filo and paying Broke Osweiler such insane money that we have no flexibility to trade for him

4. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

They've done a much better job with the cap in the past couple of seasons. They can cut Brock after year two of his deal without blinking. And they will have a very large amount of cap space/flexibility during 2018 free agency. Spotrac lists the estimated space then at 53 million and that's with Osweiler, Allen, Cushing, Newton etc. still on the roster. Hopkins and Bouye will certainly cut into that some as well as maybe a couple of other guys (Clowney) but there will still be a ton of room to maneuver.

#84 Yaosthirdleg, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  5. Mr. Clutch

Unfortunately signing osweiler for 2 years also means our offense is bottom 3 for 2 years and we waste an elite defense.

There's no guarantee the defense will still be elite after next year.

Short garbage contracts are still garbage contracts

raining threes likes this.
  6. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

You're correct that there's no guarantee but I would bet that they'll still be really good as long as they have Mercilus, Clowney, and Watt. It all comes down to getting the QB position and the offense in general solved. Will it happen? I sure as heck hope so but I am in skeptic mode at the moment.

7. raining threes

What are Jimmy G's strengths and weaknesses?

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Tell that to the cowboys, who have all pro production from players that are paid well below some second and third string players at their respective positions.

There are other people, too.

My point is that rookie contracts can be amazing value, and allow you to win while paying superstars.

The reason I use the Cowboys is not to antagonate people, but to say that they have a quarterback who they are paying way more than Osweiler, who played barely a down this season, yet they still were picked by many to go the Super Bowl.

The draft is very important. So is any other productive quarterback on a rookie contract. That's a huge reason why the Patriots may get a big haul for Jimmy.

9. Mr. Clutch

Completely agree, which is why it's troublesome that we've traded away so many picks for busts since O'Brien came over, starting with 5 picks for Nix and Strong.

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It happens. Rams say hello.

11. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Ironically it may be because they missed out on Garoppolo in 2014 they feel the need to constantly trade up (Nix, Strong, McKinney, Fuller and Martin) to ensure they get their guy.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

And the Rams generally suck

13. Mr. Clutch

Yep probably so.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His strength is that he's a Patriots backup QB without much tape to expose him.

15. Nook

Nook Member

That and he doesn't need an alarm clock.

16. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Wow do the Media, by way of the Pats, have you hoodwinked. Remember when Ryan Mallet was going to cost no less than a 3rd and quite possibly a 2nd? LoL. If anyone wants to pay a kinds ransom for Matt Ca...err Jimmy G, they've been bamboozled.

Dion Lewis looks like an all-pro when he takes the field alongside Hoodie and Brady - yet every team in the NFL passed on him ~ 4 times. That story can be told up and down that roster and that's been the case for the past decade+.

If I'm going to buy an Iphone I'm going to just go ahead and pay full retail. I'm not going to buy a really shiny one from the discount emporium because he assures me he's checked it out and he'll discount the price as a result. And he swears up and down it's authentic and everything to boot....

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

My thinking is a little different. The QB is a very important position but it is still one position. One player who is one bad sack away from IR. One player that could end up being worse than you expected (i.e. Brock) and you're back to square one.

A good team will make a QB look better than he actually is. The Texans have done a decent job at building the team outside of the QB position. I know the cowboys have been mentioned but they built that offensive line and got then got the best RB in the draft. They get their QB in Dak and they have one of the best offenses in the league. Keep looking for your QB but not at the expense of the rest of the team. Trading a first round pick, in my opinion, affects their ability to keep building the team. A 3rd round pick? Not as much. If they keep Bouye and extend Hopkins, they're not going to have a whole lot of money to spend in free agency. Maybe just one splash signing. They need this draft to be a good one.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Bad analogy.

It'd be more like, "if I want to buy a phone from an up and coming brand, I'm going to buy the phone that no one has ever tested out, but the new company making it, one that has decent potential, says it's a game changer. No way am I going to spend my hard earned cash on a phone that is made by the new offshoot company of Apple.The one that a few people have seen and held and maybe even beta tested. No way am I going to spend my hard earned cash on that. Even if it does have the potential to perform at near Apple levels at half Apple's cost."

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, we don't know that, other QB's that never had a problem while in New England have developed those problems once BOB convinced Smith to trade for them.

20. raining threes

So you know nothing about Jimmy G?

You haven't watched any of his college games, no all star games, combine etc.... you are basing your opinion on he's just another backup Pats QB?

I've watched a lot of Jimmy G, called for the Texans to draft him in the 2nd rd. He has a lightning quick release and great accuracy. He actually reminds me of a young Romo.