1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My buddy is getting divorced over triathlons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by raj87, May 26, 2011.

1. raj87

raj87 Member

One year ago, my buddy and I were chatting after our weekly raquetball match. We were both exhausted, and I mentioned how my body does not respond like it did when I was younger. He agreed, and floated the idea of training for a triathlon together for conditioning. I immediately dismissed the idea, as I do not ride bicycles, and I think triathlons are for losers (Seriously, who trains all those hours in order to place 458th?). My buddy, however, ran, biked and swam with the idea, and has been on a single obsessive mission for the last twelve months. I have hardly heard from him since, other than his boring facebook training updates (which I hide).

Last week I learned that his wife has filed for divorce. I did not believe the news initially, as he and his wife have been married for over 20 years, and have five children - two of them still in grade school. However, it has come to light that his training for a meaningless 70km race, has overtaken his entire personal life. He averages over 30 hours of training a week, and has totally neglected his family. No infidelity that I am aware of, but according to his oldest son, he has not been attending to his "marital duties" for months, due to not having the energy.

I personally feel this is selfish behaviour, and that he should immediately shift focus to try to salvage his marriage. I plan on having lunch with him tomorrow, but am unsure how I will get him to see the light.

Do any posters here have any experience with obsessive triathletes? Please share.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he checked out, he checked out, it is his decision.....no one elses.

DD

1 person likes this.
  3. SacTown

SacTown Member

I think his wife is the one who is being selfish. She wants all of his time for herself and she doesn't understand that he found something and that he's doing something that he's passionate about. He's also probably attracting more attention from other women because he's in better shape and his wife is probably threatened and jealous by that.

His wife probably wants him to just sit around like an unhealthy coach potato and have him all to herself. She should support him. The triathlon will be over soon. I say props to this guy for finding and doing something that he's passionate about. Life is too short to give all of your time to someone else.

4. SacTown

SacTown Member

Sounds to me like you could be a bit jealous of him too? Maybe?

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Oh good grief.

It is his decision, but it does not have to be permanent. Hopefully raj can get him back on track with what's really important - his family, not some meaningless race.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Let's look at the big picture.

Your buddy is not getting divorced because of triathlons. 30 hours a week is a reasonable hobby. His wife is an insecure b****.

7. Secret Agent 7

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

9. raj87

raj87 Member

DD,

I don't think he wants to lose his family. This is more akin to a substance abuser who cannot see the harm he is causing others.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That's a freaking weird thing to lose your wife/family over.

I can see the quest for money/power/poontang driving somebody away from their loved ones... but triathlon training?

11. raj87

raj87 Member

While I do miss defeating him weekly on the raquetball court, my focus is on his family.

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

4+ hours a day is reasonable? Sweet.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

LOL.

On a more serious note, it may be his decision, but he's affecting people quite a bit with it apparently. There's no problem with trying to push him in the right direction as a friend. There's clearly a right direction here; wife and family over extra hours of physical conditioning.

14. droxford

droxford Member

You can't stop him from being a loser.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Leave him alone.

Everyone can have a family and children, but not everyone has the dedication to spend over 4 hours a day training for a triathlon.

I think you and his wife are jealous.

I think XeroBull would be with me when I say, he needs to leave his wife and kids if they don't accept his passions.

16. raj87

raj87 Member

Kindly note that his wife is a hot fox who looks like Morgan Fairchild, and does everything for him. She is not insecure in the least. Also, he has 4 or 5 triathlons in the pipe as well.

17. raj87

raj87 Member

Thank you for your contribution. Go ahead and email him ladder links if you like.

18. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Fixed it for the truth!

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rhad,

I totally agree, maybe my point was missed, I believe he has already chosen.

DD

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Back in shape, top of your earning potential, wife just left, time to be a sugar daddy.