1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Beef With Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hak34, Feb 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Me either...anything that makes the team better is good with me......

No one is untouchable, even big Yao....

DD

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sure, if we had to include Brooks and Scola to get someone like Bosh, I'd ask where to sign. I'm a big fan of both, but the deadline is passed.

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

DD, are you trying to jump on my band wagon.... :grin:

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think this situation is as black and white as most make it out to be. Lowry has been having a good season. He plays differently than Brooks. Brooks is the better player as of right now and especially for an offensively inept team like the Rockets.

What TJ Ford did to the Rockets last night, Brooks did to the Lakers in the postseason! That said, I think Lowry is definitely pushing Brooks for more PT. Now that Martin, Budinger, Ariza, and Battier have the SG spotwing minutes taken care of, I see Brooks and Lowry fighting over PG minutes now.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Brooks is used to being the only competent scorer on many nights. He was driving me crazy with the turnovers and decision making down the stretch but I'll live with that before I want anyone else on the team (except for Martin in the future) handling the ball so much. I would have liked to see the team go to Martin more down the stretch but it was his first game so I get why they did not.

6. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

I'm all happy with Brooks.. but I am just curious about what you guys think about the potentials problems we could face with getting the ball to Yao next season?

I mean.. fronting was a major problem last season.. how is it gonna be resolved next year? Brooks is not exactly great at feeding Yao. Martin is not great at passing from what I have read. Ariza- I dont want to talk abt his skills or the lack of it.

7. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

and I've been here about the same. A kid! Not at all sir. Thanks for asking.
    This is only ABs 3rd season. Even though his roll is to run the team, he still has learning to do. Who do you expect to pick up the slack with Lowry out? Kevin apparently hasnt got the feel of playing with this team yet. This is only the first game since the trade. Even though that game shouldve been a win it wasn't. TJ was 10-19 and Granger 12-17. These guys were on a mission.
    Brooks does bad and you bash him(he shot over 50 percent). He does good and everyone is silent. Would you have wanted Kevin taking those shots being 3-16? I would have wanted Ariza taking shots before Martin. Lets see how the rest of his plays out.

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

the opposing team can just choose their poison. yao or bosh.
    to those AB bashing, every scoring PG has taken their share of criticism. see Sam Cassell. i was guilty of bashing the guy for playing no defense and making questionable decisions.
    as far as DD's Parker n AB comparison, i agree he is a lot like TP minus the age. TP had more time to develop. but i seem to remember him getting a lot of criticism as well. and they were trying to move him n some players for kidd. the next few years parker is touted one of the best PGs in the league go figure.
    there is a reason why opposing teams plan their defenses for AB.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Haven't read the thread, but had to respond to this point specifically.

1. You overestimate the amount the players you referenced were "tools" - these are guys who were frequently loved by their teams and fans and made many all-star game between them. Allen Iverson is a likely hall of famer, for goodness sake.

2. All the players you mentioned had size over Aaron, even AI to a certain extent. That doesn't really matter that much, except all three players basically had height, strength or athleticism advantages over Aaron, even with how fast he is. Basically, Aaron isn't expected to be as talented as those players.

3. All players mentioned, including Aaron, are/were underrated playmakers. Aaron is averaging 5 apg this year. Iverson has a 6.2 career average, Steve 5.8, Stephon 7.3

4. This is probably the most important point. AI, Steve, Stephon...players of that era that played that style are discounted somewhat these days because they just weren't very efficient. AB has an effective FG% this year of 50.5% (see basketball reference). This is because he is such a good 3 point shooter. AI, Steve and Stephon were regularly much below this. They all had a season here or there, though, where they were more effective.

Aaron has already outplayed expectations considerably. But going forward, we know what he is capable of, so we can forget where he was draft, what was expected of him, his size, etc. How to rate him going forward?

Well, he is either going to have to continue to score at his efficient rate, or become a better playmaker.

But for this year, it's hard to complain about his overall body of play.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

hustler, fronting will always be a problem when yao is playing because he has slow feet, but that doesnt mean the offense has to bog down. It simply means they will invert or flex the offense. Having brooks who can break guys down and martin as a guy who can break down a out of control defender or knock down a 3. The rockets had a backside guy guy like shane who is a zero threat off the dribble. Now the opposite defender of the front cant be on the opposite shoeblock. If he tries that with martin, its a wrap. That extra 2 steps closer to the corner gives more space for a potential lob. If they want to sag, martin is going to work that team to no end. They now have better options in dealing with the fronting defense.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hallelujah !!!!!!

The skies are parting and the sun is shining through.

Preach on PREACHER !!

DD

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Man, we can talk hoops all day! I know some posters may not fully understand angle and creases that create those scores, but i feel like maybe i can paint a picture people can understand.

13. bpbkforlife

bpbkforlife Member

Rick needs to get off his high horse an run with what was working, Temple did a half ass better job in the second half than brooks, he played better with Martin than AB did

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

this is pretty much all that needs to be said... how are you gonna judge AB when his options on the court are the likes of hayes, ariza, battier, andersen, et al? more times than not he's the best scoring option on the floor, so granted he's going to be called upon to shoot first, pass second. i agree that his overall PG skills aren't the best in the league, but he's our leading scorer for a reason.

15. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

According to some of these guys, it's all about one person. A REAL PG would be able to make his teammates shoot 50% for the year. Even guys like Ariza and Battier. A REAL PG would never make an errant play at the end of the game. A REAL PG can always complete the pass to Yao, even when there is a man in front, on the side, and on his back. It doesnt matter, because a REAL PG can use the warp spell on the ball and make it go THRU the defenders and appear in Yao's hands right where he wants it. I mean, Rafer Alston NEVER had a problem with the entry pass to Yao.

:rolleyes:

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe it's time to change your signature?

17. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

maybe you need to start making some videos and send it to RA . :)

now that difficult to understand for me... yeah. but i get the basic idea leeb .

lets just see what they do when it actually happens.

18. keez857

keez857 Member

THANK YOU! if championships can be won with derek fisher, they can definitely be won with brooks.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

THIS PARTICULAR GAME, The flaws (the beef) pointed out of Aaron Brooks not controlling tempo, not being a game manager...perhaps. But what about Aaron Brooks 11-20 from the field, 3-7 threes, 26 points? TJ Ford stole the show...TJ Ford OWNED. 23 points on 10-19 shooting...basically TJ Ford just matched Brooks (in less minutes than Brooks, but still...)

Its apparent DEFENSE was Brooks biggest problem. Thats where the legitimate gripe for THIS GAME is.

Kevin Martin was 3-16. I get it...see Lowry would hold Ford down on defense, and "set up" Martin with better looks to change the outcome...Brooks getting abused left the team "deflated", etc etc...

Battier played some at PF, but what about Danny Granger crapping all over the Rockets with our 2 supposed outstanding wing defenders (36 points on 17 shots)? There isnt anything Brooks could have done besides channel Chris Paul to save THIS GAME

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Phil Jackson whos won the most championships in just ever, and is the current defending champion coach, he basically came in and sharted all over the pure point guard position.

John Paxson, BJ Armstrong, Ron Harper, Randy Brown, Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw...He was even trying to work some "Mike Penberthy" in from sacking groceries. All of those guys are either not pure PGs, not particularly any good, or way past their prime.

And the same can be said of PGS from other recent title winners. 2nd year Rajon Rondo, Jayson Williams, 40 year old Gary Payton.

Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, then ISIAH THOMAS are the last 3 really good/really pure point guards to win titles.

Depends on the team concept, whether its PG dependent or not.