1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Beef With Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hak34, Feb 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Do you realize that at one point, we were trying to acquire Caron Butler? Last year, we tried to acquire Vince Carter. Last year, we signed Mutombo as our backup center.

Maybe you can't tell, but Morey is trying to build a contender. He doesn't care if we're getting old or getting young. All he cares about is getting a ring.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Boston is in a lot better shape than Miami.... Miami only has Wade and they are banking everything on him... Kinda like what the Rockets did with T-Mac.. I am not saying that T-Mac and Wade are the same player... I am saying that both organizations are on the same path..

Big difference was that Hakeem was on his last couple of years and everyone knew it.... At this time it's just ludacris to bank everything on Yao.... Especially with all the unknowns.. From a business stand point that doesn't make any sense.

Funny that you chose those 3 pg's..... The same thing that you are saying about Brooks is the same thing that was said about them in the begging of their careers...

3. bbjai

bbjai Member

I concur look at the Pistons team post Larry Brown Leaving - masses of WCF and Conference finals and no championships and the team is in disarray now.

4. T_Man

WOW!!!! Yeah so did the Rockets...

So let me put it this way.... Let's get rid of Brooks, Landry and all the other youngsters, so that we can get Veterans to fit around Yao...

Yao, comes back next year and can't play, doesn't heal, is not the same player... Then what????

You have now traded off all of your future for Veterans... Now what???

5. realmustang

realmustang Member

I keep seeing this said in thread after thread but not once have I heard anyone in the Rockets organization state this. If this was a developmental year Battier and Scola would not be starting. Budinger, Taylor, and now Hill and Armstrong would be playing a lot more minutes. This, at least up to this point, has not been a developmental year!!!!!!

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Ok. So you ARE being intentionally dense.

Do you not realize that we're talking about trading away young assets in order to acquire proven veterans so that Yao's responsibilities will be reduced?

7. bbjai

bbjai Member

Notice the three PG's I chose each are very different but each one had a very defined role in their system. The same can be said for Billups.

But guess what the main defining factor is, they can all play defence. Its arguable with Parker but when he played for the Spurs his defence was top notch. the same can't be said for Brooks unfortunately and his game as far as I can see is fairly easy to stop. He really needs a playmaking wing like T-mac or Lebron. In a way you know who he reminds me off but a quicker version, Mo Williams. Small, three point shooter great at driving to the hall, not really a brilliant passer.

8. bbjai

bbjai Member

this his contract would be off the books by then and we would have to go find another franchise player. Look honestly there is nothing we can do if Yao is not healthy. The players we have at the moment are not Franchise players. All Star yes but not franchise, Yao is the only one. We either tank in the draft or trade Yao. Neither of which is really plausible.

9. T_Man

Dude you are right... I am being densed...

I will only quote what bbjai stated....

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The corollary is, next year, our young players could all have career ending injuries. You now have no future and are left with a diminished supply of veterans.

Now what???

My point is that if you have the opportunity to be a legitimate contender at the cost of your young players, you make the sacrifice. You're essentially betting on a known quantity as opposed to an unknown quantity.

Why do you keep arguing against this? This is a model that had led to championships in recent years.

11. bbjai

bbjai Member

His saying we dont have a franchise player to depend on, Miami had Wade, Celtics had Pierce

Rockets have - a injured Yao with possible career ending injury

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yup, they knew that their roster at the time wasn't good enough to win a title. So they gambled and lost. The important thing is that they recognized that they needed to gamble.

bbjai's reference actually proves my point.

13. choujie

choujie Member

Rockets won't spend money to resign Armstrong. Taylor won't see the floor behind AB/Martin//Lowry/Battier/Ariza/Cbud. They shouldn't take any minutes now.

14. T_Man

Hold up on the no defense....

Parker has Duncan...

Fisher had/has Shaq and Bynum

Rondo has Perkins...

Kenny Smith had Hakeem

Brooks has Hayes... :eek:

Brooks is holding his own and he's developing with every game...

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Right now, Yao status is unknown. It would be foolish to assume we can't depend on him.

And in regards to the Celtics, I'm not sure that Pierce was the most integral player on that team. He may have won the finals MVP, but Garnett was the most important player.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How has Brooks' game changed at all since last year's series against the Lakers?

Please detail the improvements he's made.

17. T_Man

What you don't see and what i'm saying that the Pistons and Miami did was sell the FARM for winning it now and had no plan for the future...

This would be a different arguement if Yao was actually playing and we could see how he was doing with this young... But he's not.. He's hurt and there are a lot of questions about his future...

So why do you sell your entire future to surround your self with Veterans who may only have about 3 years left for a player with so many questions around him...

That just does not make any sense..

18. T_Man

They both needed each other...

The same as Jordan and Pippen... Say what you like, say what you will.. But Jordan never won a Championship with out Pippen and Pippen never won one without Jordan..

Like Abbott and Costello....

19. realmustang

realmustang Member

OK so that's the answer to the next 28 games. What about the first 53? No Martin no Armstrong and no playing time for Taylor, Cbud getting very few minutes, older players like Battier and Scola starting and playing huge minutes, Jeffries getting playing time over Hill, the 8th pick in this year's lotto. So explain to me again how this is a developmental year.

20. choujie

choujie Member

Obviously RA and Morey were looking at playoffs. They want more wins . We are just fans, we are more realistic.