1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Beef With Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hak34, Feb 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hak34

Hak34 Member

I know alot of you are Brooks lovers/homers, but man the guy just either doesn't have the PG skills, ability, or just doesn't want to.

108-105 Rockets ball. High pick and roll, Scola dives into an empty lane. Instead of feeding Scola the PnR pass, Brooks steps back and launches one ugly ass, ill timed, low BBall IQ three. Over the next three minutes its, launch another long shot, make a horrible pass out of control under the hoop, and continue to get burned defending the PnR.

Before you say it...yes I realize this was a moment in one game, but I just don't get why players like Iverson, Francis, Marbury were tools who didn't really know how to play point, but AB gets a pass on these types of bone headed plays.

If he hits Scola and Scola scores we have a 5 point lead. If the D collapses on Scola then he can kick out to what would of possibly been a more open shot. Please don't use the "growing" word. He has plaid PG for the last 10+ years, and he continuously doesn't make the right decision with the ball. Instead of feeding Scola, he bricks, next trip down the Pacers tie the game, and the game was lost at the moment.

Its time Rocket fans start to hold AB accountable not for being young, or making mistakes, but for not making the right plays (or even attempting too), for not playing his position correctly, and not making his teammates better, which is what all PGs are supposed to do.

I genuinely can not fathom how a team with Brooks, Ariza, and Martin are going to be successful. I can only hope that Marting plays alot of minutes with Lowry, or Ariza goes to the bench to play with Lowry because the three together just seem doomed to fail. They are not the right types of players to play with each other. Brooks needs to play off the ball more, I guess more like a SG which is what he truely is anyhow.

3 people like this.
  2. Entropy

Entropy Member

Simple. We bring in Llull next year.

Starting PG: Lowry
    Starting SG: Martin
    Backup PG: Llull
    Backup SG: Brooks

Our guards would own.

3. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

I totally agree. Brooks would be at his best playing next to a 2-guard who likes having the ball in his hands. But that doesn't "fit the system" and plus I have no idea where we could have picked up a top tier 2-guard that dominates the ball.

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Brooks has NBA scoring ability but NBDL point guard abilities.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

^ This :grin:

--RB

6. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

Are biggest problem right now is not having Lowry..But with that said Brooks os still developing and is our PG of the future so I guess we will have to deal with his sometime bonehead moves

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mrs Brooks will be angry if he's with another man's beef. That's all.

8. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

AB is a good scoring PG. But I would like to see how Lowry/Martin works.

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

brooks is very confusing to me. he doesnt pound the shot clock away like francis and iverson in their heyday but he'll make the same amount of poor decisions.

10. Entropy

Entropy Member

Great point.

11. choujie

choujie Member

Brooks is playing more and more like a SG. He has nothing else besides scoring.
    I can't believe people who blame Andersen being useless when his shots not falling actually worship AB.

Guys like DD will blindly call people who actually understand the game is not only won by scoring "ignorance".

Scoring is the most overrated and unreliable thing in NBA. Peopel say defense wins Championship because good defense will always be there every night, but offense is not. That has been proven over and over again. In the end, the most versatile, balanced, all around team wins.

That's why I'd like to see a Lowry/AB or Lowry/Martin back court in starting lineup next season. Lowry/Martin(AB)/Ariza/Scola/Yao will be a more balanced and more completed team.

1 person likes this.
  12. grantliney

grantliney Member

if a pg is confusing whether he should pass or shoot, that's a big problem
    at least AB is clear :rolleyes:

13. choujie

choujie Member

I'd rather see AB be the future of SG instead of future of PG.

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Without Lowry, KevMart needs to hold the ball more than Brooks. Brooks probably can't pass any better than Temple.

15. anchel

anchel Member

Agree. He's simply a bad PG, and you can prove it with a lot of details every game.

For example, I remember a play at the 4th quarter in which he tries to pass to Scola with no angle, and instead creating the angle by going to a side of the court, he tries a lob pass that ends on a predictable turnover. You can't pass to the low post from the top of the key man, didn't know that? And this is our PG.

Yeah, very poor english, but sure you'll recognize and understand the play.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's just handling the ball too much...once Yao returns they'll have some more inside-out stuff, alloowing brooks to play more as a SG, making a quick move and scoring, rather than setting up the offense so much. Same goes for Martin and Ariza, more inside-out with them when Yao returns, they'll cut and shoot more than try to create.

17. choujie

choujie Member

There is a good chance Yao won't get the ball that much at all with Ab running the show. Look at how much more effective when Landry played with Lowry instead of AB.

18. htown11

htown11 Member

He's not a point guard plain and simple. He's an amazing shooter and occasionally makes some nice passes through keyholes, but overall Lowry knows how to run an offense, and change the tempo throughout the game.

19. HookemHorns1250

Let's not judge AB too quickly. He's still young, and come on guys. Look who he has in his starting rotation.

Battier/Ariza/Hayes. Not a lot of offensive fire power there. The others in the lineup are what makes a point guard look good. Ala Rondo. When you have Pierce/Garnett/Ray Allen playing with you, you're going to look great.

Brooks is having to carry the offensive load in that group, which is something a point guard shouldn't have to do, there for he's going to be vulnerable to more mistakes. Give it time, and see how Martin affects it.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yao> landry

Not just that, but yao will be our #1, so brooks pretty much has to get it to him enough