1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My 4 year old was punched in the head by an autistic 13 year old - a discussion...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Jul 28, 2016.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You did the right thing. Absolutely. Just the right amount of aggression which the situation demanded and passiveness.

Anything more during the heat of the moment and you would likely have regretted.

Having said that. I feel sorry for you and your son and for the autistic son and for his mum. I feel sorry for errbody.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, its very very rough on the parents. I see it frequently and what they deal with on a daily basis, how the kid has an immaturity that can't be helped and how just being understanding can go a long way. You have to remember this is a spectrum disorder to describe a constellation of symptoms. It can be mild to very bad---Developmental delay coupled with fits of anger and tantrums.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, and neither do I...but spend one day in a clinic or go volunteer somewhere and see how it changes your perspective on the matter.

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Your reaction was what I'd expect from anyone. I know some here are saying to feel sorry for the family with the autistic kid and all but your in the heat of the moment and you just saw your son get punched really hard, I don't blame you at all for getting heated, no body in that situation is going to stay calm and try to be understanding right away.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This situation reminds me of Clutchfans. Tinman is the 13-year old and the OP is Clutchfans.

1 person likes this.
  6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I don't think you should take offense to what he said, as your situation completely sucks. Theirs just sucks more even if they are making mistakes and completely at fault for putting their kid in that situation.

What happened to you absolutely sucks, and you have every right to be mad, and the restraint you showed is highly mature, and I am not sure I could have done as well in that situation. Luckily, you guys can move on after a terrible experience relatively unscathed. Everything you said about them needing to watch more closely, etc. is absolutely true.

That said, I can't imagine being in their situation. They sound like they might not be providing the level of care that their child needs. Unfortunately, some special needs kids aren't able to function within the boundaries of normal society, and this sounds like it could be one of them. They are responsible for putting him in those situations, and they know that. Not knowing much about them, it sounds like they could be irresponsibly taking him places he should not be if this has happened numerous times before. They might be fighting their own emotions for him to live a "semi-normal" life, while not accepting the fact that it may not be possible. What a terrible position to be in as a parent. I just cannot even imagine this.

I'll pray for that family to get things more in order so this doesn't happen again to someone else as well as for you guys and the experience you had. I hope this doesn't create fear in your child for such a terrible experience, as I can't imagine being 4 years old and having that happen.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Even 100 or so years ago they put these kids in institutions or in some countries killed them.

Just terrible stuff to deal with.

DD

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not sure my wife's conclusion. I just know the mom did apparently apologize to my wife and was crying after I left. And again, I'm basically a super calm dude. I don't come off as scary, or aggressive to anyone. I'm low energy, lol.

So do I know why she said sorry and was crying after I left. No clue. Because I said some things to her? Because she's sorry for herself? Because she's sorry for us? No clue.

No idea what it means. I can only make assumptions. The one assumption I feel very good about... they knew this could happen. They've seen it happen before.

It's not about them knowing their kid. It's about them controlling their kid. And I know everyone will see that and say autistic kid, they've got a tough life, etc. And again... TRUE. But to anyone who has kids, and especially has multiple kids... THEY ALL go through periods (usually multiple), where as a parent you have to manage their behavior a ton. That's part of having a kid.

And absolutely the apology comes into play. That's the whole concept of apologies. Once the deed was done, its done. So absolutely how they react afterward is an indication of things about them, and how I react is an indication of things about me. Sincere and sympathetic apologies are clearly just words, but they are words that mean something.

... effectively, yes... this is exactly what I'm saying.

I know my reaction to the situation and to other parents would be COMPLETELY different, from the get go. There was no "is he ok?", no apology at all, no effort to remove their son from the situation entirely. It was a no, don't do that, and pull him back.

Maybe I just think differently, but as noted my reaction would be completely different. I'd be all over apologies, multiple times checking on the health of the other kid, offering assistance in any way (at first glance we were talking about a hospital trip for example), etc, etc.

Yes, my kid is ok. But when I say he was punched hard by a VERY LARGE autistic kid... I mean it. I'm not pretending a soft hit was worse then it is. This kid was topping 180, and my son was on the ground.

Again, as I said in a previous post, I'm getting the feel some of these responses are completely outcome driven. Meaning, he's ok, so all is good.

9. JayZ750

To be clear... I have been around various people with special (dis)abilities. I'm not saying I don't get it.

But your comment directly speaks to the point. They can have... interesting... idiosyncrasies. It is incumbent upon their caregivers to be aware of those.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The problem is that they are dealing with a child that does stuff all the time that they have to apologize for, and they are probably exhausted.

Be the bigger man and move on.....and count your lucky stars that you don't have to deal with Autism.

DD

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Nobody is saying anything about your parenting, and if you took it in that way I apologize as it wasn't my intention.

Yes, you are correct, the response is outcome related. If we're going to play hypotheticals (aka worst case scenarios) then yes the situation could have been dealt with much differently by the parents of the other child. I also think locking a child up in the house because they are autistic is cruel and inhumane, which to suggest this to someone about their child isn't really the best route to take. I think that is more heat of the moment than anything, which is understandable, but clearly there is a better way of handling the exchange of words from both parties.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

#winning

But to OP, you have every right to be protective, but your words to the mother were a little harsh. Like DarkHorse interpreted, you essentially said that the autistic kid is a threat to society and should be locked up. I guarantee you the mother is sincerely apologetic and embarrassed while the grandmother is slightly reciprocating your aggression with her words.

13. JayZ750

I'm just having a discussion.

Also, I would note, while parents of all kids with disabilities are different, I've been around enough, and know the parents typically have to get way past feeling sorry for themselves. [to clarify a bit, I do have a kid with serious health issues... not on the spectrum currently, but there are long-term issues to stay aware of... I am long past feeling sorry about it, she's freaking great].

This does seem pretty outcome driven... he's generally ok, and had a cookie, so it's all good. And that's ok, the world is outcome driven. But it is interesting!

14. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

it happened, your kid is okay. It sucks, but just gotta move on. nothing can be done now

15. JayZ750

Yeah... which was part of my guilt after I cooled down. But then I don't feel that bad about that anymore. Again, there were lots of kids in this store, most much younger and smaller than him. it's not about locking someone up, just a better social situation. we're in a vacation setting... lots of families and young kids running around everywhere. And absolutely, they deserve a family vacation as well.

I'm getting the feeling that some thing I'm being silly when I talk about societal responsibility. I get that they've been dealt a tough hand. Not sure how that diminishes the fact that I'm going to feel like a complete ******* if this happens to another kid... even if that kid also isn't seriously hurt.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

And the sympathy we feel for the 13 year-old's parents, is the same reason I don't complain about him to Clutch anymore.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

But there is nothing you can do about it. It more than likely WILL happen to another kid.

Exactly what would you propose you personally could do to help the situation?

If nothing than move on.

DD

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

JayZ750,

You said,

"I'm getting the feel some of these responses are completely outcome driven. Meaning, he's ok, so all is good."

Your main point to me was to say their apology to how they managed the situation is of major concern to you. It really doesn't matter what the outcome is, the immediate apology is not really a tell of what the parents have done, are doing and will do at all.

And the mom crying to your wife is the definition of profusely apologizing, in my book. Maybe she was at first in fear of what your reaction might be that the words didn't come out to you. But only after you left was she able to fully apologize.

The immediate apology and display of regret is really just for you only, not the greater society and things that might come. And you aren't accepting of what you got, so are upset about it. That's OK and normal. This is often called "resentment." We resent situations and the ppl who were part of it. And it's healthy to talk about it, and for us to beware of our self-centered role in it.

19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Semi similar situation happened to me:

I was at Texas Children's Hospital a couple weeks ago in the waiting room with my wife and son. I was playing on my phone (Clutchfans actually) and an autistic boy around 10 years old came over and started hugging on me. I got startled and yelled out "Hey what's going on?!?"

The mother heard me and rushed over to grab her son, and apologizing. I look around and everyone around us was laughing, including my wife. I felt terrible. I told my wife to stop laughing, but I kept smirking myself and tried my best to keep from laughing

I looked at the mother and she looked so sad. Everyone was still giggling about what had happened.

I wanted to tell the mother something, like it's ok or something like that. But after that I couldn't even look at her.

After our appointment we even saw them on our way out, but I still couldn't look at them. I really don't know what I could've done, I keep thinking back about how should I have made the situation better

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds rough, OP! Very glad your kid appears to be doing ok.

As for how I would have / should have handled it... I have no idea. Honestly it might have just been my natural reaction to shove the kid away from my kid.

That might be worse than what you did. Depends on what the older kid looked like I suppose. Really hard to say how I would have reacted.