1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Shouldn’t Even be a Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Mar 1, 2019.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Shaq continues to slob on giannis's knob. I seriously cant understand shaq. Did harden bang his wife ???

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden gives Shaq Kobe flashbacks...that’s why he keeps hating

Shaq jealous of perimeter greatness

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol the brick freak is a liability in the crunch time
    youre down by 3 with 15 seconds to go
    you cant give him the ball and tell go bail us out...
    what hes gonna do? go dunk the ball?
    lolololol
    he is a fine player but hes not an MVP my goodness!

Hakeemtheking and windpuppy like this.
  4. TheresTheDagger

At this point, its obvious that Harden could score 100 and it wouldn't change the votes of the Giannis lovers....or should I say what it really is...the Harden haters. For those voters, it's ANYONE but Harden.

Every time I hear ANYONE talk about how the defensive end swings their vote to Giannis (while ignoring Harden's accomplishments on that end of the floor this year) I simple chuckle.

Lets review recent MVP's who were "defensive monsters"

2018 James Harden
    2017 Russell Westbrook
    2016 Steph Curry
    2015 Steph Curry

(mic drop)

Nick_713, thaGREATwall, Deuce and 7 others like this.
  5. TheresTheDagger

My favorite Harden is MVP stat. Estimated wins added.

If a player literally leads another by Estimated wins added by 4.6 wins....that AUTOMATICALLY equates to MORE VALUABLE.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So do you also think that LeBron should have been MVP last year (27.3 EWA vs 23.9 EWA for Harden)?

And according to EWA, Westbrook was the rightful MVP two years ago as well.

Harden did lead league in EWA back in 2015, though.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Y’all realize, in “Hollywood” media, there is no such thing as a done deal. They gotta push and push and milk the likes from both haters and fans. They gotta have max kellerman and Steven a shouting at each other calling it a debate. It’s just a dog and pony show. With that, the media is not saying Harden is not the MVP, they’re trying to redefine what is MVP. If you go straight off value, how much is Giannis value to the league? How much is harden’s value to the league? If you take harden out of the league, how much would the league loose? If you take giannis out? The East would be akin to the G-league. That’s why you could always contend that Lebron was most valuable every year.... in the East. Aunt no one making that case for him now right?

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

Reality of the situation this year is that both guys are having years that would win MVP most years. Credit to both. All you can do is make your case. To me, my biggest points I'd argue:

1) West vs. East pt. 1 - Does Milwaukee have this record if they play in the west?

2) West vs. East pt. 2 - Lebron can single-handedly take teams to the finals in the East, and can't make the playoffs in the West

3) West vs. East pt. 3 - Does Giannis get to play only 33 MPG if in the West? Look at the "load management" guys like Kawhi can get away with when they go East. It is sooooo much less pressure.

4) Revisionist History - When Rockets were struggling, JH13 was still putting up some of, if not the best numbers in the NBA. About 30 ppg and 9 apg. His early season is being discounted as a complete travesty that should disqualify him when he really wasn't bad at all. Reminds me of the 15-16 season when he led the league in MPG, had 29 ppg, 6 rpg, and 7.5 apg yet somehow wasn't even able to crack 3rd team all-NBA (thanks for nothing Dwight).

5) Team Success - Who is most responsible for Milwaukee's 15-18 game improvement this year from last year? Antetokounmpo was awesome last year and awesome this year again. The roster is mostly the same. I think there is no doubt that most of this should be attributed to Bud, and while that isn't necessarily a penalty to GA, would this race even be close without Bud improving this team by almost 20 wins? In other words, if GA was having this same season and the Rockets and Bucks had the same record, would GA even have a snowball's chance in hell? I don't think so. Bud for COTY should be unanimous.

6) Regret - Westbrook has now averaged a triple-double for 3 seasons in a row. I think a TON of people look back at his MVP with some sense of regret as it is pretty clear that it was the wrong decision. It is definitely tough to justify. When people look back at this 18-19 season that Harden had and they realize that they didn't give it to him, I am fully convinced it will be the same. James is THE STORY of 2018-19. Period. Full stop. Pretending otherwise will just make you feel regret a bit down the road. It takes some level of active neglect of his eye-popping brilliance to ignore. He scored 118 points in two nights in a row and wasn't on the front page of ESPN!!!! That is active ignorance and neglect.

7) If ___________ (Curry? Durant? Lebron? Paul George? Heck...Pascal Siakam!?) was putting up 36.4, 6.5, 7.5, etc. for a 52-54 win team would it not be a unanimous MVP?

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

These are all great points. You're not wrong with any of them. You forgot the most important point of all, though...

8) Media preference: Giannis

hakeem94, luckyman76 and DreamShook like this.
  10. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I thought he was pro-Harden last year...His argument for Giannis's MVP is dumb and very annoying. He says Giannis is great the whole year, but Harden didn't play well in the first two and half months. I heard a lot of people(Broussard for example) using exactly the same argument against Harden. Come on, can's these MVP voters, who are supposed to be the most professional NBA journalists take ONE MINUTE to check Harden's stats in the first two months? Or they know what they say is non-sense, but they just want to create a narrative against Harden which the general public are too lazy to find out to be fake?

DreamShook and hakeem94 like this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I would wager Broussard couldn’t navigate basketball reference or nba.com/stats if his life depended on it. For that matter I would guess most guys on these studio shows couldn’t do it.

thaGREATwall likes this.
  12. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

It's hard to imagine that. I mean guys like Max Kellerman makes 6 millions a year, and they can't even navigate a website?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

They’re ignorant, and they also know that they can get away with being ignorant because the millions of casual fans that they’re reaching are ignorant as well, so their fake news about Harden largely goes unchecked.

the truth about Harden is only told through tweets via Twitter accounts that many don’t even know exist...all these tweets illustrating Harden’s greatness aren’t close to enough to overcome the lies told about him on national TV every day

How many non-Rockets fans even see them? Harden has no one making sound arguments on his behalf on any of these talk shows except for maybe 1st Things 1st which casual fans don’t even watch.

It’s so frustrating because the points made against Harden via lies and misinformation are so dumb and so easily destroyed, but there’s no one there to do it, so they eventually linger and become “fact.”

BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

To give them the benefit of the doubt, I think they mean that, if Harden was "MVP worthy" and his stats were meaningful, he'd be averaging what he averaged PLUS leading them to not be 11-14. Which is a terrible argument, I know. But I'm sure that's what these talking heads are reaching for.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Weird how voting doesn't always produce the best result. . . .

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. BigBum

BigBum Member

I did internet search
    Fans vote, Giannis wins
    First things first
    Today bucks gm said they beat rockets twice and Giannis is the best player in the nba. It’s possible he wins.

#596 BigBum, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Westbrook winning over Harden was a huge mistake.

If Harden won that year, then he would have little argument to win this year over Giannis, but since Westbrook won that year it really is hard for me to see the same people that voted for Westbrook because of his stats now vote for Giannis based on his team success.

It really is unfair for Harden, for some reason, the media is against him.

Never forget that Westbrook won MVP for averaging a Triple Doulbe, never forget the hoopla and hysteria surrounding it that year, never forget how clear cut it was to the media that since he averaged a triple double, it made him the MVP. The media has completely forgotten about Westbrook. He's been averaging a triple double since KD left basically, doing it this season, did it last season, and he won't get any MVP consideration. That MVP was a complete heist, that was Harden's and the media invented a narrative just to keep him from getting it.

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

I agree with your points,
    Reporters have different points. They want to count wins and defense.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

also never forget that the brick freak cant shoot..
    what kind of mvp cant shoot?!
    this is basketball for godsake!!!!

and hes liability on the floor in the clutch(ie NOT VALUABLE let alone the most valuable) if youre down by 3
    my goodness these ppl are out of their minds...

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Are you kidding me? He is saying media members are dullards that they will vote for Harden over Giannis because of his name?

This is an actual take? What is going on????

DreamShook likes this.