1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MVP] Manning

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pgabriel, Jan 2, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think this would have been a good year to give it to a defensive player like Ed Reed, but its hard to argue with the pick. Funny, Manning had his lowest rating since 03 which was still a 95

link

NEW YORK -- Peyton Manning can tell Brett Favre to move over and make room for him atop the roster of NFL Most Valuable Players.

For the third time, Manning won the award from The Associated Press, tying Favre as the only players in that elite category.

AP NFL MVP voting
    Player Team Votes
    Peyton Manning Colts 32
    Chad Pennington Dolphins 4
    Michael Turner Falcons 4
    Adrian Peterson Vikings 3
    James Harrison Steelers 3
    Philip Rivers Chargers 2
    Chris Johnson Titans 1
    Kurt Warner Cardinals 1

The Indianapolis Colts quarterback was a landslide winner Friday in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. Manning also was the league MVP in 2003, when he shared it with Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair, and in 2004.

Favre, then with the Green Bay Packers, took MVP honors in 1995 and '96 before sharing it with Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders in 1997.

"I know it's an individual award, but ... truly, in my opinion, a team award," said Manning, who received 32 votes, far ahead of Miami Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington (4) and Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner (4). "It's been the most rewarding regular season that I've been a part of in my 11 years, and I have to believe a lot of the other players and even coaches might feel the same way."

This has been a most unusual season for the Colts, who normally have the AFC South title just about clinched by Thanksgiving. Manning had two operations on his left knee in the preseason, cutting into practice time, blunting his usual precision as a passer and, eventually, leading to a 3-4 start.

From there, with Manning getting sharper by the week, the Colts won nine straight games to secure a wild-card berth and a Saturday night meeting with the San Diego Chargers.

In that streak, Manning is 209-of-290 passing for 2,248 yards and 17 touchdowns, with only three interceptions. He extended his NFL record with his ninth 4,000-yard season and finished with 27 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions and a 95.0 passer rating.

"It's just been different," Manning said. "It's been an entirely different season. I think the one thing that's been inaccurate is that the seasons we were starting out 13-0, 8-0, 7-0, that it was easy. So all of a sudden this year, we are 3-4 and now things are hard. Believe me, it's never easy to win a game. I've never taken for granted winning a football game."

Colts coach Tony Dungy said several times that he favored Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison for MVP -- he tied with Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson with three votes. But after Manning's flawless work in the second half of the season, Dungy, while admittedly biased, changed his mind.

"I said after we left Pittsburgh (on Nov. 9) that I would vote for James Harrison," Dungy noted this week. "If I was voting today, I'd vote for Peyton Manning."

A vast majority of the voters did.

Also receiving votes were Chargers QB Philip Rivers (2), Titans rookie RB Chris Johnson (1) and Cardinals QB Kurt Warner

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Not too sure Manning is that deserving of it this year, since he and the Colts struggled through the 1st quarter of the season. Just seems like there are guys that had a better season than him that were much more valuable to their team.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yuck....there were better options this year than Manning.

DD

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's hilarious that Manning gets MVP in a season in which most people who regularly watch the Colts will admit he was very much not himself and struggled with timing and getting in sync with his receivers. Honestly, Manning's struggles were a big part of why the Colts got off to a slow start and why they had so many close games, yet because his team won anyway, he got more credit than he did in seasons where he was flawless. Sportswriters have become an absolute joke, judging the most individual of awards by standards (overall team record, win streak) in which players have very little control by themselves.

Of course, it evens out because Peyton's been a phenomenal QB for some time, and probably deserved the award in some other seasons when he didn't get it. But it just saddens me to see another individual award lose its intended values.

I would've gone with Peterson, Harrison or Reed.

5. Major

Major Member

I'm surprised Deangelo Williams didn't even get a single vote. He's basically carried that Carolina team to the 2 seed in the NFC (and almost the #1 seed).

6. Asian Sensation

Such as? The Colts struggled early on because Petyon wasn't 100%. When he started feeling better and playing better that's when the Colts started winning as well further justifying his honors.

Had Drew Brees led the Saints to the playoffs he would/should have been MVP in my opinion.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its ridiculous.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I call BS!

9. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

1500 yards and 18 touchdowns for a very good team. It's amazing how underrated he is. He didn't even make the Pro Bowl.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If it were someone else, I think I could see a problem, but it is Peyton.

I would've given the nod to a defensive player (Reed, Harrison) or running back like, Turner, Peterson, or Williams.

But to be honest, those players haven't effected the game, like Manning has. They've had great seasons, but those players haven't helped their team win in the way that Manning does, except maybe Peterson. As far as offense, the other two running back play on well rounded teams, those team probably wouldn't drop off a whole without them. You take Manning away from the Colts, they're instantly a lottery team. This team is 12-4, only 1 win behind division leading Titans and tied with Steelers. Have beaten both teams. Also, the Colts have beaten Patriots (11-5), Chargers (division winner), and thrashed Baltimore (11-5). Keep in mind this team has also won 9 straight games.

His 4th quarter comebacks, this year have been legendary at least, his team is on a 9 game winning streak. Plus, his running game ranked near the bottom of the league and a run defense that is ranked in 20s, yet again Also, the Colts have had a patchwork on the offensive line.

Unlike, Brees and Rivers, Manning has been able to win the big games and get scores in crunch time. While, Rodgers's Packers were non-factor for the 2nd half of the season and Warner's Cardinals have looked like 6-10 team in a below average division.

Manning is a decent enough MVP.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Must have been a down year in the NFL then. Cause Peyton was average by his standards.

This year should have been a defensive MVP, imo.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

How did Chris Johnson get a vote?

13. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

i was wondering the same thing..

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

chris johnson is the main rb on the best running team and arguably the best team. his numbers aren't great, but someone has to be an mvp candidate on that team. you could argue haynesworth. if chris johnson did let lindale get the tds his numbers would arguably be outstanding.

edit: my bad, they aren't the best rushing team, but still

15. junglerules

junglerules Member

I absolutely HATE the Colts, but I don't see how someone could think Manning wasn't deserving this year. He absolutely kept them from going 1-4 or 1-5 to start the year, despite the fact that his knee injury was much worse than anyone anticipated. (Peter King had a great write-up on this a week or two ago- no one had no idea how serious his knee flareups were because the Colts somehow kept it under wraps.) Anyway, he rescued them against the Vikes, the Texans (with help from Helicopter Sage), and completely carried that team. Bear in mind, this is a Colts team with an aging Marvin Harrison, a banged up Jeff Saturday who missed time, an oft-injured Addai, and missing Bob Sanders a significant part of the year.

I completely agree that Manning's numbers were off this year. I'm sure part of it was him trying to get healthy, and also trying to overcome his team's deficits. But, I think we'd all agree that MVP shouldn't just be about the numbers, anyway.

I think Manning would get my MVP vote. DeAngelo was phenomenal, but most of that came in the second half of the season. He and Stewart split carries a lot more early in the year. I'd also see a good case to be made for Adrian Peterson, too. If you want defense, I agree that you can't go wrong with Ed Reed this season. Haynesworth was great, but I think the way that Tenn. demolished the Steelers without him or Vanden Bosch proved that their depth at D-line is just as critical as anything else. If you want some youngsters at MVP, maybe Matt Ryan should get some attention.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Much like the Heisman -- Is a QB or RB ever NOT going to win? You might as well rename the award accordingly.

Moss should have won it last year. You could have made the argument a defensive player could have won it this year. It makes no difference.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with the choice but it's almost like he won it because it was a down year for MVP candidates.

18. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Chad Pennington should have won.

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I didnt like it, so many players were better than Manning this season.

all say: "Oh they win 9 in a row" but that streak includes: Lions, Browns, Bengals, Jaguars, san diego and texans, and titans reserves (week 17)

the only good teams they beat were: Pats and Steelers

6 of the 9 win were against teams .500 or below (including the 0-16 Lions)

If you go for statistics, they are 5 QBs that thrown more yards than Peyton, and 4 QBs, that has more rating than Peyton.

Other years I agree they gave it to him, but not this season, for winning the MVP, you have to be constant, Manning wasnt.

I will go with Adrian Peterson, Deangelo Williams, or Ed Reed, or even Andre Johnson, (he was awesome this season)

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Even Drew Brees or Kurt Warner were more deserving, but it wouldn't play in the media to give it to guys who basically limped into the end of the season.

I hate these supposedly "individual" awards..