1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Must have Android apps?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by professorjay, Jun 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

you're better off streaming p*rn using your adobe flash enabled android device.

2. Scionxa

All the webOS fans need to download wave launcher forreal. it's the best

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

HTC EVO owner here. I do what you mentioned when I know I'll wont be near a charger for a awhile. I've also done the following step for good (have not had to go back to turn it on again to get more out of my phone).

Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>uncheck always on mobile device

4. Scionxa

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

7. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

Andwobble2! Trust me it is a must have!!!!!!

8. Scionxa

9. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Nah, PlayerPro's better (IMO, of course).

The interface is much nicer, the options are better, better lock screen, etc.

The only thing Power Amp had on it was the equalizer, but now that PlayerPro has one, there's no feature Power Amp has that gives it an edge.

You should give it a try, it's honestly better.

10. Scionxa

Hmm, I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Thanks man

Also this has been posted before guys, but if you need to download apps to your phone and are not trying to be on your phone because you're at work or school

You can push them to your phone via

http://market.android.com

If you're rooted, I highly reccomend Rom Manager (be sure to flash clockwork recovery), Ad free android (edits host file in your phone so no ads :)), shootme (screenshots), titanium backup and root

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What is the best task killer out there? And do they even help? Some reviews say they work great and others say they actually drain more battery life than they save.

All I know is that it's a pain to have to constantly shut down apps like Skype, City ID, Email, etc. manually.

12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Thanks to those who recommended PlayerPro. Dowloaded it this morning. Well worth the $4.99.

*Former MixZing Free user.

13. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Mixzing wasn't bad. I liked that it could identify songs and find good album art but man after some time it jacked up a lot of the album art and gave a lot of the songs the same one. Grr..i still like poweramp though.

14. Scionxa

First off, if i recall correctly. You're stuck with one of the worst android devices ever released lol j/k okay so im not really kidding but its bad . LG ALLY right? Okay, one of the android devices to have no RAM, they actually partitioned part of the drive and used it as RAM. ALSO, you got Android 2.2 recently right? (well about 2/3 months ago)

Android 2.2 Froyo DOES NOT need task killers. Please people, stop using them. You're messing up your phone, let me tell you what you're doing everytime you're killing an app with Froyo as your OS. It restarts, and will continue to show up, and its a placebo effect of you thinking you're doing something because you're killing it.

By killing it, you're actually restarting it. Now, there is a solution.
    Troublesome apps will use alot of your CPU, download an app called watchdog task manager (it has the ability to kill but only when necessary) , and will tell you what apps are going above their CPU Threshold.

If you're using a phone that's not running 2.2+, i believe it is okay to use task killers.

15. Scionxa

Also, Verizon is known for putting complete bull**** on their phones. On my thunderbolt, I rooted it, removed the bloatware, used a different kernel, different rom (undervolted), deodoxed, and now im getting bad ass battery life.

If you want to know how to root your phone, here you go

http://www.lg-phones.org/how-to-root-lg-ally-android-2-2-1-froyo.html

You'll then have to download super user, busybox, and etc.

Use something like root explorer to go into your system/app folder and removed City Id, and all the verizon vcrap

16. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

what's your definition of badarse battery life? 24hrs? are you set at autosync? is your screen dimmed to 40-50%? do you use less widgets? do you sometimes turn off the radio during the day? are you using juice defender? how often are you using 4g?

sorry for the rant, scionxa. i'm just frustrated with not being able to use the features on the evo as they were intended to because of software not being optimized for the hardware. it's not like my hacked sprint frankenpre plus was any better. currently running a tiamat kernel with modded voltage on the mui rom and my evo is at least lasting a day now with moderate to high usage.

i hate to say it, but rim and apple are best at this at the moment. maybe tend to a battery life solution instead of opting for 3d. i'm checking out hp's slab phone later this year before jumping ship from webos to android to apple.

17. Scionxa

Around 15 hours of moderate use (50+ texts a day, occasional surfing, twitter background updates, sync on, 25% screen brightness, I use 3g for the most part, and 4g when I need to video chat via Skype Video or download something)

No juice defender, and I use wi-fi whenever I can so that might be why I get good battery.

I'm using adrenalyns 4.3a kernel, running das bamf rom. I'm also using SetCpu to make my processor operate at around 245mhz while the screen is of, so idle power draw is very minimal :)

i like webOS alot, in fact i use Wave Launcher for android which gives a similar effect to the bottom app drawer.

Battery technology definitely needs to improve.

18. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Pulse News Reader is a must.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Very cool, thanks. This does exactly what I want. I just wanted something to kill apps manually without going through the settings-manage apps-running apps nonsense. This makes it very easy.

Yes, I still have an LG Ally. POS, but I'm not a heavy phone user so it will do for another year until I can upgrade. The rooting thing sounds a little complicated for me. I'm sure I'd find a way to destroy the phone forever trying that, so I'll just stick with this task manager for now.

Why does Verizon feel the need to pile on all these apps that you can't get rid of?

20. Scionxa

Verizon does because they can, it's kind of sad. It's one of the cons about Android that really rubs me the wrong way. You see, these carriers and manufacturers aren't selling Android, they're selling an experience. For example HTC sells Sense, Samsung- Touchwiz, Motorola - Blur.

They use Android as their OS since it's open sourced, and put their skin on top of it, THEN whoever the carrier may be, they can put more bull**** on it, since its open sourced to them as well. The funny thing is, companies are doing everything they can to prevent us from rooting, and alot of people just root to remove the bloatware. If they would allow us to remove it, maybe peope wouldn't resort to rooting.

Also, Verizon backup assistant is intergrated so hard into their devices that removing it, will brick your phone lol. kinda drives me crazy