1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslims increasingly reject terror

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr. Brightside, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/14/AR2005071401030.html

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8QJ5M000&show_article=1

2. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I guess money really does buy happiness.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Tell that to Bin Laden or Al-Zawahiri or Atta...

4. NewYorker

Well, in their cases it buys a lot of guns and flight school lessons. Which makes them happy.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Right, so "happy" is a subjective term...different things make different people "happy".

That's the point...

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

good news

7. NewYorker

So you are saying we should try to keep the Islamic world poor so they won't have the money to buy guns and wage jihad? Interesting point.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

successfulness, whether its money or not, is what makes most people happy. Whether its a stable community for ones children, good hospitals that arent housing arms caches, or simple security and peace of mind knowing that walking down the streets is relatively safe...these things tend to make life a little easier/happier/or whatever you wanna call it. However, to have those things money is typically largely involved.

regardless, the moderate muslims do need to separate themselves from the extremists because they are also suffering from the extremists actions

9. insane man

insane man Member

how do you propose they do that?

10. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

It's nice to see them getting all nice and civilized these days, but, with due apologies for the non-politically-correct nature of my words, I'm surprised no one has noticed the magnitude of these proportions being reported. So, in other words, as recently as 2003, 43% of Jordanians (most of them are Muslim anyway) believed that suicide bombing is justifiable, and 56% of them thought Osama was a world hero.

So much for the myth of the tiny extremist minority.

11. MadMax

agreed...concerning. but my glass is half-full with hope! :)

12. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

how every they feel appropriate. Im not in their position, in their country in their religion...but i would venture to guess having well respected religious figures preach more about tolerance and peace towards others, rather than "jihad" "infidels" "blood will spill" etc etc. Maybe call out the extreme factions...self policing if you will. do whatever it takes...if they really care.

whats the other half? jihad? ;)

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

What's the difference between "successfulness" and "success"? :confused:

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

successfulness is the measure of one's happyfulness

15. MadMax

nah. jihad really isn't my thing.

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is a completely ridiculous suggestion void of any understanding of the complexities of the "Muslim World". There are no "respected religious figures." Any religious scholar from the West won't hold even a single ounce of credibility in the Middle East. And the voice of moderate religious figures within the Middle East is marginalized due to the natural sociopolitical stage of regression (in the aftermath of colonialism and dictatorial regimes) in the Middle East. It makes the problem even more complex when there is no hierarchical clergy within Islam and the idea of "independent reasoning" has resurfaced and emboldened.

There is no simple solution. It's a Reformation within Islam which will take quite some time to rectify itself. External factors such as perceived exploitation by the West don't make matters any better. Before some idiot attacks me on this, I'm not saying this is the West's fault. I'm saying starting a war in Iraq doesn't help matters any in silencing the extremist voice. You only marginalize the moderate voice and help foment the seeds of extremism among the discontented.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, how comforting that "only" 20 % or 34 % of a country's largest religious group think suicide bombings are A-OK :rolleyes:.

18. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

no crap there is no simple solution. and thats what i was saying...there needs to be a reformation in mainstream and moderate/modern islam, whatever that may take. Whether its well respeceted older muslims stepping up or a youth movement, or both. To get there it takes people to take certain measures. Bring the religion into modern times instead of keeping it in medievil times.

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

lol. good point. :D

20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

what's the good of having nukeyouler weapons if you don't use them :confused: