1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslims in Germany demand the right to make the University of Berlin into a mosque

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 27, 2016.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Maybe most of the posters are biased because we attended university in the US, but student-run organizations are very common here. In fact, most (if not all) universities have it in their by-laws that organizations have a right to exist and assemble on university grounds.

If a US university did what the Technical University of Berlin did while still allowing organizations like the "Anime Club" or whatever to assemble, there would be an uproar.

1 person likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay so you just directly contradicted yourself.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Protip Muslims: you're making the wrong people angry -- don't mess with that German Wasp nest.

4. fchowd0311

I think this is the heart of the issue of why there is such a vast disagreement. Most of the US posters are accustomed to student run organizations having their own private rooms religious or otherwise. Maybe universities in Germany don't operate like that? I don't know.

I guess if that's how German universities don't operate, then the Muslim students won't get what they want and will eventually have to learn to live with it.

Another thing to consider is that U.S. campuses tend to be VERY large with multiple buildings thus there is spare room to offer for these organizations and clubs. My school, University of Massachusetts, has an entire dedicated 5 story building for student run organizations which I'm sure most major universities in the U.S. do.

#284 fchowd0311, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

So do you think it is OK for the university to call the police to have the students arrested for praying on university grounds? Very simple yes or no question, don't need any of your mindless rhetoric.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I did also attend US universities, and am aware of some differences. But how would a US university act if, let's say, some Christian fringe group that promotes the overthrow of the US government were to demand resources from a state university so they can assemble and pursue their goals?

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It depends on the circumstances of whether the public prayer is disruptive to people who actually want to study there.

If there is an individual quietly praying - no
    If there is an assembly of 100 people loudly praying together so that it disrupts the peace for those who are there to study and do not wish to be disturbed - yes

And then there is of course a grey area in between.

The line is drawn where it starts disrupting others from using the university for its intended purpose.

As to public prayer, I just re-read that thread I started and could see that many conservative Christians got very angry at me in that thread as well.

[​IMG]

8. fchowd0311

I bet you haven't found one article on what explicitly these imams preached and why they are considered extremist. You are literally spewing **** from your ass if you assume that scenario is analogous. All you read was 'extremist Imam'. And even then you don't know if he was a guest imam or a routine member of the Muslim organization in the school.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I posted the article, and I posted a link with information about the extremist organization the Imam is from. What else do you want?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No I did not, taking over a quad or dropping down in the sidewalk or park, or anywhere that might be in anyone else's way should not be tolerated.

DD

11. shastarocket

If you attended a US university, you more than likely came across an extremist street preacher or fringe political candidate. As long as they don't (physically) assault anyone or disrupt a classroom, they are allowed to spew their inane ramblings

As an aside, I am thankful for these idiots hanging around on campus because it forces sheltered freshman to deal with reality. Big surprise, I don't believe (public areas) of universities are "safe spaces"

#291 shastarocket, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, I did shake hands with George Bush and met the Dalai Lama ;).

1 person likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Yup, for an entire month, had a group of extremist Christians preach right outside the student union which I walk by every other day from my dorm to the engineering buildings.

Many students laughed as they walked by or made some half hearted attempt at a witty joke but that was the extent of the push back.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Crazy. I would have been extremely annoyed by that.

15. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Where do you draw the line on what is exactly disruptive? Can a student say that another student's clothes, cologne, hairstyle, etc are disrupting them from studying?

Surely studying outside is not a recommended place to go if you do not want to be disturbed. I haven't seen a university that doesn't have a library (where, you know, most students go to study if they do not want to be disturbed).

I thought you were a lawyer. Threatening to arrest students for praying would be a violation of German constitutional law:

https://www.bundestag.de/blob/284870/ce0d03414872b427e57fccb703634dcd/basic_law-data.pdf

The undisturbed practice of religion shall be guaranteed

The university threatening to prevent people from praying would be a violation of separation of church and state (which you stated you were in support for just a few pages ago).

16. shastarocket

And some probably debated with them fiercely while others watched. How else are you supposed to grow unless you are forced into discomfort?

If anything, these extremists push students to the Left!

17. fchowd0311

Ya, I never bothered with them. I usually left just enough time for me when I leave my dorm to get to class on time with a decently fast paced walk.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Depends on the circumstances.

None of what you posted in these paragraphs makes any sense whatsoever.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

if you went to college then it would make sense to you

20. shastarocket

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5LJ1GAzSMEs?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:p