1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim soccer fans boo during minute of silence for Paris. Chant "Allahu Akbar"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's just a joke buddy...... Not literal.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

To be fair, humanity will use whatever it can to murder mass amounts of people.

See: Communism as practiced in USSR, China, Camboida, etc.

Nazis were pretty anti-religious as well.

3. Nook

Nook Member

You can tell who the Muslim posters are on this board because whenever there is a terrorist attack or a discussion of the fact that half the Muslim world believes in Sharia law, they immediately don't discuss the point, they look for some historical example to say excuse the actions taken in the name of Islam. It is like clockwork. It is never a discussion of how the problem of extremist Islam can be stopped or a discussion of shame or empathy... It is essentially a defense of Islam and indirectly a defense of the murderers and terrorists.

I don't like to draw that conclusion and would love to live in my ideal shell that it isn't the case... But it is and has proven to be the case over and over again... Sadly.

3 people like this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I think the problem is that moderate Islam is far more radical on the spectrum than moderate Christianity.

When we think of moderate Islam we're picturing laid back Muslims in the US born and raised here that cannot empathize with Middle Eastern Muslims. But in reality moderate Muslims correspond to Westboro Baptist in the US. Sure they won't kill anyone, but they silently support hatred and killings and find them justified.

This isn't a problem when they are a minority, but when the majority are that far gone from civilized and rational thought it becomes a problem, especially since those are the people that control the political process and stifle all attempts at serious reform.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I feel like this too. I just find that even the most trusted passive Muslim can easily radicalize given certain conditions. There is a breaking point and that scares the hell out of me.

6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

just because they aren't blowing themselves up doesn't mean they don't support the people blowing themselves up

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PwffxOLwE0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

People who want to defer to other religions like Christianity, do you really think a room full of Christians would raise their hand when asked if gay people should be killed, just because the bible alludes to it?

It's apples and oranges and I have no idea why people are so quick to defend 'moderate' muslims when most of them actually have radical views.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get the feeling that it wouldn't take too much to start a good old fashioned lynching right about now. Just a little push in the right direction on the proper people.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Like Islamists do with gays? Or like the recent stoning of a woman in Afghanistan?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You're right. I was just in Turkey and it has many things going for it. There a was a noon time vigil in Taksim
    Square for what it's worth. For this to happen in Istanbul is disappointing to day the least. It should serve as a debating point within about where they want their government to go, but as they're getting another four years of Erdogan, it'll be trying times for those who still believe in Ataturks secular Turkey.

Islam as a whole has to change and if this is a change from within, the fundamentalists are leading the mindshare.

It didn't happen fifteen years ago

. I'd wager this generation is less aggressive to do such a thing but we're definitely near a ledge that leadership needs to push back and provide direction.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fifteen years ago - about a week after 9/11 - I ran into some yahoo who was shocked and upset that there was a "mooslim" working the Shell station at West Alabama and Montrose.

If I had given him the slightest encouragement, I have no doubt the moron would have at least beaten the crap out of this guy. I got the same sense then of this rage bubbling over. This guy pretty clearly knew what he wanted to do. He just needed someone to tell him it was OK, and maybe a group of people to help him deflect blame.

Very ironic, as 10 years later, I saw the object of the outrage upset to tears at the senseless terrorist attacks in his home city of Mumbai.

I kind of get the same sense that there are people who want to be told that a pogrom would be a normal and appropriate. Nobody wants to be the first to cross the line, but if someone else does, a bunch of people will be overjoyed to follow.

Reading some of these threads, anyway, reminded me of that moment - the sense that not much is holding some people back from drastic action.

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't realize a pointing out the absurdities in gross generalizations and religion itself was a tenant of Islam. Do you even know what a muslim is, or do you just think it's a vague catch all term for people you disagree with?

Actually.... that might just explain why so many conservatives think Obama is a Muslim, because they have no idea what a Muslim is.

Please save for your continued reference:
    Muslim:
    [​IMG]

Not a Muslim:
    [​IMG]

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yep, people need good leadership right now.

Credit for Bush in making some attempts to calm anger and frustration directed against American Muslims. It wasn't perfect but it could've been a lot worse.

There's frustration against the lack of progress there, so in some ways, the feeling now could be worse than then.

#52 Invisible Fan, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sigh... Strawman arguments is all you have?

The difference between Islam and Christiantiy lies in the difference between the most venerated figures of each respected religion, Muhammad and Jesus.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Probably not that simple but it isn't a bad way to put it.

Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

I also want to add this notion of all religions have crazy radicals is BS.

Also, talking about what Christians did in 1692 or what Islam might be in 2492 is irrelevant to today. Hopefully by then hundreds of millions people might not think fchowd0311 should be killed. But the reality is they do today.

#54 Bandwagoner, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  15. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Suppose you're right.

What are you proposing be done to rectify your scenario?

16. fchowd0311

Nothing can be done until Islam turns into Greek mythology. That is the harsh reality.

17. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

How do you convince someone of religion that their 'core' beliefs and ultimately their faith are false? Especially for Abrahamic religions where their beliefs are ultimately about worshipping a divinity with the purpose of going to 'heaven' and not 'hell' once dead.
    Islam is no more true than Christianity and its subsects or something non-Abrhamic like Hinduism.

18. fchowd0311

I agree.

Another note. Do people think it's a coincidence that Christianity become considerably more benign and less authoritative as soon as the Bible was printed in many different languages?

While, it seems the opposite is true with Islam. Make no mistake about it, a large share of these terrorists speak Arabic as their first or second language. They understand the Quran and the hadith quite well. There seems to be a narrative being espoused that Islamic fundamentalism stems from a notion of ignorant followers not having access to tafsir. This is far from the truth.

19. fchowd0311

I agree that Islam is no more true than Christianity.

It's impossible to convince a dedicated Muslim that their religion is false. The only way for a dedicated theist to leave their faith is a inherent skeptical nature.

The symptoms of Islam can be quelled. I believe in the notion that the more extravagant and comfortable your lifestyle is the greater chance you become less fundamental with your religion aka become more secularized which is the case for American Muslims.

20. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

By labeling all Muslims as closeted extremists as other posters have done here, you are not pushing them into secularism. Why give up your beliefs when the 'non-believers' think you're the devil?