1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Musical Cinema] Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone in Damien Chazelle's 'La La land'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 13, 2016.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Holy **** dude! Thanks for the recomendo on the French version. French cinema is cool!

2. Buck Turgidson

I've been trying to think of musicals (films) that I actually like. I've come up with My Fair Lady, The Muppet Movie and a couple of the sequels, this and maybe Moulin Rouge (only saw it once a long time ago).

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I liked Once, All That Jazz, Phantom of the Paradise, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and The American Astronaut. The American Astronaut has to be one of the most batshit crazy films ever. A balck and white SciFi Musical Western. Highly recommended.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Nice call on Once, I guess I didn't think of it or think of it as a musical but it's very good. Phantom and Astronaut sound like crazy fun, hadn't heard of either and will definitely check them out. Can't believe I've never seen All that Jazz but I haven't, Bob Fosse is a legend so I should remedy that. Rocky Horror is one of those movies that I've seen a few times & I'm not sure I ever need to see it again.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I liked Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Muppet Movie, Brigadoon, and I can stand Singing in the Rain, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I don't hate The Sound of Music, even though I don't like it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Loved this movie! Well done!

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  7. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow, great review. I had planned on taking my wife, but based on these reviews I will instead take the hawt girl that works at the Krogers...

heypartner likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One of the best soundtracks ever heard.... City of stars.....La la la ... Also loved the 80s music

Me and my folks loved the ending, cannot say for the beginning.

Retro Hollywood style FTW and good old day dreaming.

Awards deserved tho.

#29 daywalker02, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Saw this Saturday; was pleasantly surprised. Cinematography was fantastic; last 15 min had me in a roller coaster of emotions

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I saw it a few weekends ago, wife and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done all the way through, I personally loved the ending. I thought it was a good move to go against the grain, felt more honest and true.

Wife on the other hand hated the ended, hell I can't even bring up the movie without her going into a bit of a tirade which is rare for my wife with a movie.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

saw this yesterday, loved it

to be honest, thought it would have more musical acts in it, but liked the balance. I though the South Park Movie had more musical bits

anybody catch the 90's movie reference at the end?

Tom Everett Scott was the husband, aka Guy Patterson in Tom Hanks' WAY UNDERRATED "That Thing You Do"
    Turn out, the writer/director was a huge fan of the movie with his character's love to jazz music

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/11/la-la-land-tom-everett-scott/

I was emotionally wrecked about the ending, but that's reality, better that they ended it that way

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Watched it. Didn't think it was anything special. It's no West Side Story, that's for sure.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

These are considered musicals although some may not register as such.

Blues Brothers. The First Nudie Musical. Fiddler on the Roof. Tommy. White Christmas. Paint Your Wagon.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Hilarious.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

Saw today: 8/10

Thought the ending was interesting in that it gave you two different happy endings and something to think about. Unfortunately, that's probably not the reality in Hollywood. So not sure it was full of truth, but had some truths in it. Felt as though John Legend stole the show musically with Emma Stone being oscar worthy. Cinematography was excellent, but threw in some blurry shots purposefully which I'm not sure I agreed with. I walked away moved, but it didn't blow me away.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Saw it last night and it was tremendous!

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I recently saw this and agree that it was a well done movie, but am surprised it is so well awarded and loved. The actor performances were ok. Don't care if Emma Stone got an Oscar ... she played the same character she always plays. Story was light as noted. Even the music... it was solid, better than solid, but not the best thing since sliced bread as many made it seem.

Solid movie, worth a watch, not something I'm going to be yearning to watch multiple times.

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I saw it as well and I liked it quite a bit. This was one of the better movies I've seen the last couple years. I disagree with a couple of the posters above. I thought Emma Stone was outstanding in this and deserved to at least be nominated. I thought Ryan Gosling was simply ok in his role.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[QUOTE="Xenon, post: 10965387, member: 4391"]I saw it as well and I liked it quite a bit. This was one of the better movies I've seen the last couple years. I disagree with a couple of the posters above. I thought Emma Stone was outstanding in this and deserved to at least be nominated. I thought Ryan Gosling was simply ok in his role.[/QUOTE]
    Did you know that Gosling actually played the piano/keyboards in the movie? That it wasn't dubbed? I was floored when I found that out. He was excellent.

daywalker02 likes this.