1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]What's So Great About Kayne West?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 21, 2011.

?

What Do You Think About Kayne West?

1. He is magnificent - one of my favorite artists

63 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. He is okay but overhyped

49 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. He sucks and deserves to no longer be performing music

20 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. I do not know enough about him to pick between options 1 through options 3

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

First of all, you contradict yourself. Eric B and Rakim (who I have a great deal of respect for), what type of music do they make again? And let me ask you, why can't a hip hop artist be a musical genius?

2. lionaire

lionaire Member

I'll admit he's very good at sampling but def. not the best. Do I have to school you on 9th wonder?

3. dback816

dback816 Member

If you enjoy endlessly debating about "opinions" while throwing out all relevant statistics out the window, go right ahead :rolleyes:

4. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

It's not like Coachella, ACL, etc only allow indie artists to perform.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Kanye is a GOAT producer and has above average rapping. The College Dropout is one of the best hip hip albums of all-time.

6. RocketMania1991

Kanyes new album is a work of art.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

Lol...I didn't quote you, so you shouldn't be concerned.

8. Landlord Landry

I don't get Kayne. Granted, I waved buh-bye to hip hop many moons ago...but there is nothing special about him. His sampling from the 70'-80's has been done a million times and was done way before he arrived on the scene. His lyricism is average at best and his flow is weak compared to others in his status realm.

so he has good 'production'. whatever. Keri Hilson's debut album had a $5 million dollar budget. Still sounded like sht.

I'm just not buying that his album is 'genius' or 'a work of art'. It sounds generic and formulaic as fck. Kanye is definitely "meh". I mean, he might do hip-hop well, but I am tired of hip-hop artists not trying to progress into uncharted territory. Too many of these guys sound the same, Kanye is in that (large) bunch.

p.s. my subjective opinion is better than yours.

9. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I'm a big 9th Wonder fan, but Kanye is a better samler, by far.

9th Wonder is more one-dimensional and only samples R&B/Soul beats.

Kanye samples everything.

10. s land balla

I honestly don't believe that you listened to his new album all the way through.

I call BS.

11. s land balla

Rep me. :grin:

My Beautiful Dark Screwed Fantasy (Chopped & Screwed)

<div align="center"><embed src="http://www.datpiff.com/embed/mixtape/m23b4264/" quality="high" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="507" height="221" allowScriptAccess="always" allowScripting="on"><br><a href="http://www.datpiff.com/Dj_Chops-A-Lot_Kanye_West_My_Beautiful_Dark_Skrew.m184184.html" target="_blank">Download Mixtape</a> | <a href="http://www.datpiff.com" target="_blank">Free Mixtapes</a> Provided by <a href="http://www.datpiff.com" target="_blank">DatPiff.com</a></div>

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Hmm, I wouldn't say that makes him one-dimensional but the old-school r&b/soul is trademark 9th sound and I feel like he intentionally goes for that sound everytime.

But you're completely right, 'Ye samples EVERYTHING!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oIWZ4dqKmJs" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

lol sound familiar?

13. Roxs-Redemption

I lost my ability to rep :(, I own you one

14. Landlord Landry

Why? because I don't agree with you?

tell me, what is so revolutionary about My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy?

nothing. It's just another superficial million dollar production.

15. Apps

Apps Member

I said Eric B. & Rakim, not Rakim as a standalone artist. Eric B. was a large reason why sampling became centerstage, and Rakim's delivery was and still is looked up to. They were the embodiment of what good hip hop was. Add that to the benefit of being forerunners of the scene and Paid in Full being a large part of the reason why hip hop made it mainstream, and I'd say they deserve the title of "musical genius" (regardless of how little water that title holds in the modern era of music).

Maybe Kanye will be looked at as a "musical genius" when push comes to shove and all the chips are down. I don't particularly enjoy his music and don't have that kind of respect for him, that's all.

@Slandballa, I'm not trying to be fashionable. Those guys were great, hands down. And how can I turn the radio off when it was never on to begin with? Hip hop isn't even my drug of choice, anyway.

16. Apps

Apps Member

Your post leads me to believe that you don't know what "barring the likes of" actually means.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You don't have to buy it, pretty sure though enough people buy it to make it true though.

If 9/10 people are saying 'Kanye is great' then that's all that really matters.

I mean you can have the opinion that Michael Jackson wasn't a 'genius' musically...but the majority would disagree and that is all that matters.

18. Apps

Apps Member

I'm sorry, but I think you're dead wrong and you're perpetuating a very dangerous train of thought when it comes to the appreciation of art.

People do not take the time these days to discern whether something is good simply because they subjectively like it, or because it is objectively a quality piece of art. That mentality has become typical of our fast food culture. Hey, if everyone likes it, then it's good. Screw analyzing it and actually trying to understand something on a technical level, right? A hell of a lot of people like Justin Bieber... does that actually make him a good musician/artist?

That kind of attitude is why so many "poets" out there just write crappy free verse littered with pathetic fallacies, and spurn the concepts of poetic diction and meter simply because they don't want to take time to understand the foundational techniques of the art form they've chosen to "pick up". That kind of attitude is why so many people throw paint on a canvas and call it art. That kind of attitude is why people play three chords and call it a song.

1 person likes this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I know you said them together but I guess what I'm really asking is...is Rakim alone a musical genius? Are you saying someone that is only lyrical cannot be a musical genius? If so I can buy that, Rakim would definitely be a lyrical genius though.

20. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I love Kanye's music, from College Dropout to Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.