1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 1, 2007.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Mainly Lola at that time, but also a little bit of the other albums from around the same period like Muswell Hillbillies, Arthur, etc. I really like Low Budget also. :)

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
    Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk
    Pere Ubu - Song of the Bailing Man

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Absolutely loving this album, always had a soft spot for this European influenced music and Beirut have been great for a while, but just as sufjan and Vernon have worked out how to mix their brilliance with electronica, Beirut have done the same (to smaller extent)

There is something less jammy about this album and more structured but the layers and beauty have not been lost and of course I still want to lose my shoes, stop trimming my beard and just dance :)

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

The Sasquatch and Newport concerts on the NPR site are being heavily listened to, that Mountain Man is harmonious bliss and Colin meloy and the Decemberists are just a panoply live !

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Kinks are absolutely one of the all-time great live bands. As terrific as their albums are, they've always been better in concert, and I've never seen them play for less than 2 hours.

6. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deckard, you need to write some sort of musical memoir. Or some kind of blog, at least. I know I would read it.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

x2. And I would say the Kinks were the most underrated of the all the English bands, mainly here in the states.

8. Manny Ramirez

Animal Collective - Feels
    Avey Tare - Down There
    Animal Collective - Sung Tongs

9. Prince

Prince Member

"Sometimes Whin Wii Tuch" - Manny Pacqauio.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What do you think of Feels?

Personally I think its very, very good.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I appreciate the compliment, but I'd rather it was 45 years ago, and I was experiencing it all over again from the beginning. It'd be nice to be 20 years old again. There was a lot of luck involved and I had a lot of friends. I was at a good place at the right time. Houston, for all its flaws, was a mecca for a lot of goundbreaking music. Tickets were incredibly cheap, even with the dollar being worth so much more, and there were no bloodsucking "ticket services," that are nothing more than a tariff on everyone's pleasure. Back in the day, there would have been large protests over the practice. These fees, these add-ons can be nearly equal to the printed cost of the ticket. I never paid a fee for a ticket prior to the 1980's. I drove to the venue, saw what seats were available, and bought my tickets. When a group like the Stones or someone like Dylan was playing somewhere in town, I might start standing in line, switching off with friends, stay all night at the venue to get tickets, and didn't mind it a bit.

A record store might sell tickets to a gig outside of town, like the Texas International Pop Festival in August of 1969 (AKA the Dallas Pop Festival), two weeks after Woodstock, and with many of the same bands. Tickets were $7 bucks a day, and $18 for the 3 days, with upwards of 150,000 attending. I often went to Austin to see groups at the Vulcan Gas Company, and later at the Armadillo. Friends there would get me tickets if it looked like it might be sold out. You got the best tickets available, instead of scalpers scooping them up before anyone else. I don't know how guys take a chick out, unless they're going to a club for live music, and often even those can cost an arm and a leg. There was so much going on. We went skinny dipping at Paleface Park on Travis when we went to Austin for the weekend. If we weren't having a tribal party at the lake, with 25-30 of us and a bonfire, we were at a club listening to fantastic music. Yeah, I was lucky. Austin was such a groovy place back then, and Houston could be pretty damned cool if you avoided the HPD.

12. alethios

alethios Member

The Feelies - Only Life

Here's a sample:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24644155?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/24644155">THE FEELIES - Higher Ground - 1988</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6279047">Frank (InfoDisco)</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

13. Manny Ramirez

i like it more and more every time i listen to it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Pete the Cheat

feels like a Black Mountain Saturday.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/awljN4RaJU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  15. Pete the Cheat

and one more to get the day started right

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lgo9VXY8PCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. alethios

alethios Member

Placebo - Battle for the Sun
    Planet P Project - Planet P Project

17. Manny Ramirez

Panda Bear - Tomboy
    Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

18. Manny Ramirez

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
    Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
    Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
    Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Goodie Goodie! A new band! (at least to me)

Cage the Elephant

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PWh2mFc86vc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wBgp5aDH23g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

a review of their new record --

http://www.allmusic.com/album/thank-you-happy-birthday-r2082078

by David Jeffries

A time warp mash of the Pixies, Oasis, the Arctic Monkeys, and Kasabian that hails from, of all places, Bowling Green, KY, Cage the Elephant are out of step, out of style, and out of place on their second effort, like alt-rock kids trapped in an indie rock world. Thank You Happy Birthday bangs hard on the guitars and swaggers like the Shins never happened, but once hot, fast tracks like “2024” and “Right Before My Eyes” sink their hooks into the listener, it doesn’t matter much that the band is an odd patchwork quilt of alt-rock nostalgia. If this was some supergroup that splintered off the Smashing Pumpkins it would make perfect sense, but these memorable songs are delivered with the same energetic push the band displayed on its self-titled debut, so the strong sense of purpose is intact. Big, winding numbers like “Aberdeen” and “Indy Kidz” display growth and the electronica touches found throughout the effort are welcome acknowledgments that this is a post-Radiohead world. While the grand and sometimes snotty lyrics might not be to all tastes, anyone who misses the days when rock radio loved Nirvana and Blur will find his retro rave-up easy to embrace.

1 person likes this.
  20. alethios

alethios Member

Sticking with the letter P

Pavement - Quarantine the Past
    Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
    Pink Floyd - Meddle