1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] The 20 Worst Hipster Bands: The Complete List

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Aug 24, 2012.

1. AXG

AXG Member

I've heard of 6 of these bands and one of them is Fun because of "We Are Young."

2. Raven

Raven Member

What ever happened to the term "college radio"?

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i pretty much agree with every single word. except i would say i love arcade fire - funeral though.

4. percicles

percicles Member

It died, along with 120 Minutes.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Hipster wasn't a term in 1992.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its been around since the 60s.

7. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

This list was purely created because the controversy would cause page views. And I'm sure its worked, I've seen the link everywhere. This is the same blog that made a list of the "20 worst bands ever" and listed LCD Soundsystem as the third worst band ever. Yup.

Most of the bands listed aren't bad at all. Arcade Fire is one of my favorite bands, Black Keys are way overplayed but still really good (Anyone that gets that popular is going to get some hate, I barely saw anything negative about 2-3 years ago and now I see people dissing them all the time), Bon Iver's stuff is beautiful, and there's more good bands on there too. Also, love all the people in this thread that label any music thats not extremely popular as "hipster" and completely write it off. Really? You are missing so much good stuff. Who really cares if its "hipster" or whatever, I don't think I'm cool for listening to any of the music I like, I just think its good music.

1 person likes this.
  8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That song makes me want to lance my ear drums with a pencil.

9. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Its not good at all. Its like they spliced together two different songs, the chorus and verses don't go together at all, and the way it transitions into the chorus is jarring.

Besides that song, the band isn't that bad at all though. Nothing special, and gets old quick, but not terrible

10. MystikArkitect

Standard underground hipster hate.

"That band was cool before they hit the mainstream...then they got uncool for me."

He should be praising these bands for actually getting indie/blues into the mainstream.

11. tomato

tomato Member

You forgot to post this with your Deckard character!

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

You sound like a hipster.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

"What Are You Listening To" has almost quarter of a MILLION views. And almost 7,000 posts. Great thread.

But no one really "cares" about your tastes. And no one can "hijack" musical audio from my hears and then define and redefine whats "supposed" to go into it.

I'm okay with people who REALLY love what they love. I'll never care about people who then look DOWN on what others like. Hipsters and indie bands deserve the backlash they get for that. Stay at "oh I LOVE this band" and thats that. I'll toss in "Baha Men" and Kreayshawn with pride next your Wolf Parade and LCD Sound System and enjoy with the 100 million commoners who enjoy with me. Sometimes I just want the musician to GIVE me the tune and sound, not gonna apologize for that.

That said, current indie bands get too much flak. There's inherent pretentiousness in anything artistic.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Yup. I havent kept up myself. Yet I don't care but will still offer my critiques at the "culture now". He says this comment
    Thats probably right when he started losing touch away from the scene.

Cuz at the time nothing sounded fresher than that White Stripes / Strokes / Hives / Vines / Interpol for good measure "real rock is back" attack.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

The one thing I really don't like about a lot of people in this "scene" are the people who like bands just because no one else has ever heard of them. The people who try to outdo each other by naming as many obscure bands as they can. Very pretentious to me.

That being said, I'm in my very early 40's and I have reluctantly been turned on to a lot of bands people my age don't really listen to because of this site. Sigur Rós, Explosions in the Sky, Interpol, Silversun Pickups, and even Arcade Fire before they started winning grammys. So I've slowly learned not to instantly bag on any of these bbs "it" bands until I actually give them a listen.

For instance, I really like this song:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FPh_7HXRc8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer listening to my Police, Rush, Ben Folds Five, and old RHCP more than anything, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to new stuff too.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have also been introduced to a lot of great music I probably never would have heard of if not for some of the pretentious douches on this site.

I don't decide if I like a band based on how "in" they are. Thats for the people who are so obsessed with being unique and original that they have to dress like and listen to the same music as everyone else trying to be unique and original.

Ultimately musical selection like any choice we make is a subconscious mechanism that can't be perfected, but can certainly be refined through appreciation and critical thinking.

There will always be a clash between style and substance, and the author of this article clearly doesn't understand this.

17. thegary

thegary Member

i think all music is good if it makes you happy (or sad/makes you think/etc.). i listen to all kinds of pop music. got the miseducation of lauryn hill on right now and i don't think any of those bands listed have put out a better record than this. and this is coming from someone who really isn't much of a hip-hop fan. of course, this is just an opinion and i encourage people to listen to whatever they want and be proud of it. the only problem is that a lot of people are complete idiots that don't know their asses from their elbows and help promote the continued existence of music that i hate :p

18. Win

Win Member

A lot of interesting comments in this thread. Shroopy2, thegary, Raven and Moes of course - and others... ima_drummer I think might come closest to home with his 1st paragraph. People who love and champion obscure bands simply piss off a lot of people. I can see where it seems pretentious, but I look at it from the other end. I see people (hipsters, aficionados, zealots, whatever) who want you to love this band - that they know you would not otherwise be aware of - just as much as they love them. There will always be some posers I guess, but I get just about as happy as I can these days when someone mentions that they became a fan of a certain band because of something I posted.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I like a lot of these bands, but I have to admit they are kinda weak/gay. I wouldnt exactly expect them to have my back in a barfight or something.

Sometimes I just have to put in some harder rock like Metallica, Nirvana, STP, or Arctic Monkeys to get my testosterone levels back up.

20. DCkid

DCkid Member

Mainstream rock music has been pretty much UN-listenable since the end of the 90s. How can you not be a "hipster" these days? I guess just listen to old stuff?