1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] The 20 Worst Hipster Bands: The Complete List

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Isabel

Isabel Member

I've heard of several and only know the music from two, both of which I like. Maybe I'll use this as a checklist instead of things to look up and listen to. I like finding new music, just lazy and often end up picking whatever I can find on streaming music channels, regular and internet radio, and those few actual music videos they play on TV first thing in the morning.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really like The Decemberists. They write good music and the guy always has interesting lyrics. Definitely a fan there.

The other thing I don't like about this list is the mention of The Arcade Fire.

Funeral
    Neon Bible
    The Suburbs

Are their first 3 albums. Bands don't often put out one album like that... Much less three. As well think about stuff that isn't on those albums (Headlights look like Diamonds, Cold Wind) and they an impressive B-side list. Plus, they are still going. Speaking down on them is like the folks that spoke down about Radiohead when Kid A had yet to sink in. Neon Bible is the weakest of the group but is still relatively strong.

The article talks about all these "Dolled up" Arcade Fire songs. A track like "Modern Man" or even "Ready to Start" is not really a big production.

3. Win

Win Member

Mozart was a hipster -

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'll echo finals post as about half of those artists are ones that I like a lot, especially Grizzly Bear. Just glad this dude did not whine about Animal Collective. I thought for sure they would be on the list but I guess they are too weird for the author, lol.

5. BMoney

BMoney Member

If there is a great cultural outcry against something, it's usually spazzy middle aged men (like me) kicking up a fuss because their youth is receding like their hairline and death is on the way. Don't worry about hipsters. If you want music that rocks, it's out there.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Didn't realize Radiohead was this good. May have to give them another try.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/97IcMvkyw-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

I'm ok with some death cab and black keys. I keep trying a lot of these bands, but they all feel so lifeless. Beach House I went through several tracks hoping I would find something that made me understand the praise. It was all so bland and boring.

8. dmenacela

dmenacela Member

What a horrible blog and article. I'd like to see the author create something better than these bands.

9. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

ive noticed a good way to determine a hipster band. if the band photo looks better in sepia, they're hipster.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh puke.

11. Nero

Nero Member

Well, after giving the provided suggestions a listen, all I can say is this:

musical taste is probably one of the most individualized things in the world.

And that is perfectly ok. It is a complex process, and there are many factors involved. And once you are set in the way you are, and become who you are, and your tastes have gelled, it's no surprise that other peoples whose lifes are completely different will have musical tastes which are essentially incomprehensible.

Of those suggestions given, the one from Bon Iver seems to have some genuine musical quality to it. Tv on the Radio and maybe Grizzly bear could be listenable. I will dig a little deeper on those groups, see if I find something which appeals to me.

But all the rest - and keep in mind I fully understand that this is probably simply because my own musical tastes are so far removed from many young people today - all the rest of it pretty much just leaves me scratching my head, wondering, what were they thinking?

12. supdudes

supdudes Member

People need to understand the word hipster is actually an insult to people in general who think they're unique and ahead of the curve when they are not, and simply annoying.

Most of the listed bands make good music, and have their own unique styles. That doesn't make them hipster

13. Raven

Raven Member

Any musician who dresses like a bowling alley employee from 1975 is a hipster, and their music better be damn good to compensate for it.

14. Raven

Raven Member

And if you're going to perform retro pop, knowing how to actually play it well is a plus.

Like these guys.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GfJyyvJWiA4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. emjohn

emjohn Member

Seems like hipster is the new punk. If you make it big, you are kicked out of the clubhouse.

16. The Stig

The Stig Member

BOOOO! Grizzly Bear and Black Keys are awesome! MGMT, don't like their Congratulations as much as Oracular Spectacular. Haven't followed them lately, do they have new stuff out?

17. v3.0

v3.0 Member

Whatever happened to the term "indie".

18. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

also, the only way to find halfway decent music is to find stuff not on the radio. this leads a lot of people searching for it thus, they tend to be ahead of the curve because they're out there seeking it. i mean you simply have to now a days.

a lot of these bands arent going to be played on the radio. satellite radio prob but typical FM stations? no way, outside of the black keys recently.

for instance, i thought bloc party might be a band a few years back that could really catch on. silent alarm is a great album, i think a lot of just average radio listeners could even dig it.

nero,
    you should definitely give tv on the radio and grizzly bear some time. put on "Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes" for TVOTR and put on "Veckatimest" for grizzly bear. try to give am a few listens each and decide.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Big fan of TV on the Radio, the rest I could give a rats ass about.

20. likestohypeguy

Naming things? Ranking things?

So mainstream.

Ugh.