1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Rush

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Apr 8, 2014.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

They said they were gonna some of the more obscure tunes for the 41st anniversary right?

Geddy, Alex, Neil, PLEASE play AFTK!!! :grin:

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Probably wouldn't even be a musician today if not for listening to all those Rush albums during the 80's. I wonder how many other musicians say the same thing.

That's the mark of a great band - when other musicians learn how to play by playing along with your albums.

Go to a concert and see how many people in the crowd are air-drumming....and actually doing it correctly along with all of Neil's fills.

I never air-drum...unless it's a Rush song. I know I look like an idiot, but I can't help it. I can not listen to any of their classic songs/albums without drumming on the steering wheel. Seriously, I physically can't stop myself from doing it.

And yes, I've seen them 5 times between 1985 and 2013.

#22 ima_drummer2k, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. the shark

the shark Member

Been a Rush fan since way back (1974).

I saw them at the Music hall here in Houston in '74 and again in '77.
    I also saw them at the Sam Houston Colisseum in '79 and countless other times in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas in the 80's.

I remember riding my bike up to the head shop to buy 2112, and being BLOWN away by the intro and that entire first side.

In my opinion, their three best albums are 2112, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures.

I have to say that I haven't kept up with them since around '89.

I will also say that I recently watched their HOF induction on HBO a few months back, and Geddy Lee's voice sounded flat out HORRIBLE!!!

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Ah so you were there that night? :p

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/abp7QAhxGCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

Htwnbandit, on another note regarding the Stones.

Have you heard the song "can't you hear me knockin" from their "Sticky Fingers" album?

If not please do. Turn it up LOUD!!!!!!

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I have, actually. It's alright, I don't listen to the Stones very often though, I only have two of their albums on my Ipod. That and half of the songs on Exile (because the other half is meh).

Sway and Rocks Off is the sh-ite tho

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

But back to Rush, I have a shirt from Hot Topic with the suited man from Hemispheres and shows several planets on top and the band itself on the bottom, with the words "Hemispheres American Tour '78" on the bottom.

As I mentioned I play AFTK and Hemispheres together back-to-back every time. I also play Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures back-to-back, even though they're not really related the way the previous two were.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Many of the songs on both albums are interchangeable, same musical space, same perfect blend of pop, rock, and prog. It was their peak.

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

Fear of the Dark is awesome.

10. No Worries

No Worries Member

I also saw them in '77 at the Music Hall and '79 at the Sam Houston Coliseum.

The Music Hall was a damn fine place for a rock concert. Broke my heart when they tore it down.

Sam Houston Coliseum, not so much.

Thanks htwnbandit! Repped.

11. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Never thought I'd be able to talk to people that went to that concert way back in the day lol I have a question for those that did go, what did Geddy say at 47:30 just before "Closer to the Heart"? He said something about dedicating it to a friend that lived here in Houston.

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Last great Maiden album. Didn't like Blaze, and Brave New World onwards was just so bland and repetitive. "Ghost of the Navigator" is the only truly great song from this period til the present.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Here was the set list for the show I saw. Basically, every great song from Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals, cream of the crop.

:grin:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1983/the-summit-houston-tx-bd1ed22.html

The Spirit of Radio
    Tom Sawyer
    Freewill
    Digital Man
    Subdivisions
    Vital Signs
    The Camera Eye
    Closer to the Heart
    Chemistry
    The Analog Kid
    Broon's Bane
    The Trees
    Red Barchetta
    The Weapon
    New World Man
    Limelight
    Countdown

Encore:

2112 Part I: Overture
    2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
    Xanadu
    La Villa Strangiato
    In the Mood
    YYZ
    Drum Solo

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Missing the "Signals" tour is my biggest regret when it comes to Rush. That was right around the time I was getting into them. I remember all the kids in my neighborhood and I walking to school one day. They were all wearing the Dalmatian fire hydrant tour t-shirt. I was thinking at the time I missed something significant. I was about 13 years old at the time and I think I got into them right after that.

So, when "Grace Under Pressure" came along, I was all over that album. I still recall those many moments where we sat up in my friend's upstairs bedroom with his older brother and other friends spinning that album on the record player with four 100 watt Bose speakers just blasting us into oblivion. We listening partied that record up so much it was crazy. We must have drove the neighborhood crazy because we blasted that record. So, that album has a sweet spot in my history...because it was basically my indoctrination album. Then, saw them on that P/G tour at the Texas Jam at the Astrodome. I never missed an album launch and rarely missed them when they came to town after that. I think I only recall missing one show/tour..."Vapor Trails"...when they came back after that time off because of Neil's tragedies.

But, I missed some of their best work when it came out at the time and that sucks. Of course, I had plenty of Rush listening history and history lessons once I got into them...driven by the need to learn and play those classic songs on guitar. Like ima_drummer2k implied, to play an instrument and listen to Rush meant you had to learn those songs. It wasn't even an option to not learn them. It was a must!

15. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

The movie with Chris Hemsworth was pretty good.

16. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Too bad you got into them just as the stopped being good!! GUP is the last great Rush album.

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

When I think of Rush I think of only one thing:

2112 LIVE!

What a kickass concert to see.

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

A movie based off 2112 or the Cygnus series would be badass.

19. Apps

Apps Member

Call me crazy if you like, but I love Caress of Steel.

1 person likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

As long as it's not a broadway musical (see abortion that was We Will Rock You)

Not crazy at all. Most hard-core Rush fans (myself included) LOVE Caress of Steel.