1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]PJ Harvey + Dream Pop Bands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 5, 2009.

1. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

If you ask me, Jesus and Mary Chain started the whole "shoegaze" scene.

MBV perfected it.

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

You have to throw in the House of Love and the later era Chamelons as well. Whom you say? Look 'em up! And Creation records in general, until Oasis came along. I would agree that MBV perfected the sound as well.

Would you believe that there are bands in Houston who play this kind of music? It's true.

3. worzel gummidge

Dream pop is a sound, shoegaze is more of a sub-culture. Shoegazing wasn't really a popular term until it was used to describe Grunge bands early on.

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

5. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Disagree. Shoegaze is as much a sound as dream pop or punk or metal. It's very distinctive.

Same thing could be said for grunge and punk. It's all subjective.

6. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Oh! I forgot to add Windy and Carl to the list. I just saw them this week at Diverse Works. BLEW my mind it did.

7. mic

mic Contributing Member

Ughhh, I knew I should have gone to that show... One of the few shows I would have wanted to see in Houston.

8. Win

Win Contributing Member

Hey, Manny.... Sorry, I can't help you out with PJ Harvey. What little I've heard of her didn't really impress me, but then again, I haven't really given her a fair chance either.

Dream Pop and Shoegaze is a whole other thing, though. I'm nuts about that genre and always have been ever since I picked up Lush's 1st US release 'Gala'. All their albums are good, as are Ride's except for perhaps their last 'Tarantula'. Like others have mentioned in this thread, Cocteau Twins 'Heaven or Las Vegas' being my favorite; Swervedriver 'Mezcal Head', MBV, The Pale Saints and Secret Shine who have released a new album after almost ten years, the excellent 'All of the Stars'. They are all worthy of your attention.

Their seems to be a post shoegaze genre developing as well with Sleepover Disaster leading the way 'Hover' being a stellar album - able to keep company with all the above.

Go forth and Shoegaze, Manny. I believe you will become a big fan ;)

9. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

What subtomic said is accurate. Get PJ's first 3 cd's and you're fine.

I don't know much about mazzy star other than their 2 radio hits but they were really great songs. Still love listening to halah.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I disagree. I have not checked out her most recent album with John Parrish, but the previous one, "White Chalk" was incredible. It's also a new direction for her. It's just a beautiful, delicate and sad album. I don't know how anybody who is familiar with her can just dismiss "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea." It is flat out brilliant. I think it is a real powerhouse of an album, up there with anything that has been released in the last 15 years. Seriously.

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

pj is also super ****ing hot

12. mic

mic Contributing Member

Yeah - If you like Radiohead, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea features a duet by PJ Harvey & Thom Yorke. And White Chalk is definitely worth checking out.

If you end up liking PJ Harvey, you might wanna like Charlotte Gainsbourg's 5:55.

13. mic

mic Contributing Member

^^ Er, you might also like...

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Dayum!! I would practically give up my soul to see Primal Scream live! I only lack Sonic Flower Groove and the last one, Beautiful Future. Do you have both of those albums - if you do, what did you think about them compared to their other stuff?

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, I forgot to mention that I have several Cocteau Twins albums in Treasure, Heaven or Las Vegas, Head Over Heels, Victorialand, and a greatest hits album. I love Liz Fraser's voice so much.

I'm thinking on PJ to get Rid of Me and Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. I'll see how I like those 2 before deciding on getting any more stuff by her.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has listened to Low? Are they another band in this genre or are they more post rock? I also saw Mark Kozelak (sp?) mentioned as dream pop with the Red House Painters and Sun Kil Moon. I have SKM's first album, Ghosts of the Highway, and it is magnificent. I didn't know if anyone was a big fan of Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't care much for music, but years ago (pre mp3)I bought the Songs of the City/sounds of the sea CD by PJ H and don't regret it one bit.

Listeing to the M.I.A. "Kala" album from a few years ago now.......

....british chicks singing....something about it kicks ass.

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Not a big PJ Harvey fan, but if you want to get a good Mazzy Star album, the one to get is probably "So that tonight I may see" (I think that's the title)

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Whoever said "Stories from the City" is dead-on- absolute classic.

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Strange that there is alot of love for stories from the sea. I was disappointed with it when it was released. Maybe I should listen again...

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Here is a d/l link to SFG http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICV4R9DU and at the show I heard a lot of songs off the new on, title track is really good. That was the third time seeing them live, first in NYC in 94 at the Limelight and in 2000 at La Zona Rosa. That time they had Kevin Shields on guitar but he didn't really add anything to their sound. This last time was the best out of the 3, a real life affirming show.