1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Paul McCartney's Chaos and Creation in the Backyard

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mishii, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mishii

mishii Contributing Member

Didn't see a thread on this, so if there already is one, please delete.

I picked up his latest album on a whim and wanted to know what people thought of this album. I was in the music store to get Kanye West's new album (yeah, I know the two aren't that musically similar) when I saw it. I had earlier read the AP interview article and noticed that one of my favorite producer, Nigel Godrich, was producing the album. Now I am not a huge Paul McCartney solo fan (like the Beatles a lot), but I like most songs on this album especially Jenny Wren (bought the album after listening to this song at the store) and English Tea. It's an overall mellow album with few rockers so to speak.

Anyone else listening to it? Any comments especially from Beatles or Paul McCartney fans?

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I think it's pretty good, I find it similar but not as good as Flaming Pie. One of my favorite songs on this new release is Riding To Vanity Fair.

I really wish I could see him on tour this year, but I just can't afford it.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i like ringo!

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm about to go pick it up. the only song i've heard, "fine line" is OK but i have enough faith in macca to think the rest of the album will be good.

a few years ago i said i'd make sure i got to see him live next time he came here but i missed out on getting the tickets. now they're way to expensive for me. he's what 63, hopefully he's got atleast one more tour in him after this one.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

does anybody got tickets to that mans show?

i want some booty, and this is my best chance.

6. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Agreed, not as good as Flaming Pie, but better than Off the Ground and Driving Rain. I like "Friends To Go," that one i listen to repeatedly. And Fine Line is catchy if a little dorky. As a whole, the record sounds a little maudlin and mushy, but it is sounding good after a few listens. It is well produced. I just dont listen too terribly close, more as background, and it creeps in that way.

You gotta watch the video for Fine Line to really get a grip on the fact that Paul Frigging McCartney is Sixty Frigging Three years old. I mean, dude is still trying to put together little songs, it is sort of amazing to watch. I love how he plays all the instruments on the album, that is pretty cool -- i love McCartney drums, totally subtle and cool, almost no cymbals -- but just watching a grandfather hand-making rock and roll songs from scratch, on his own, is a mind blower. I feel old when I try to do it, and I am 34. Dude is 63, still making little rock and roll songs.

In another news flash, he is a preposterously good melody writer, just gifted like none other. Whatever that 'ear' for a good tune is, he is like the Lance Armstrong of that gift. It is supernatural - his lyrics and confidence might have run out of steam consistency-wise in the post Bealte years, but his melodies are just rock solid, every album, every time. Even the worst McCartney songs have a melody most people could wait a lifetime to write. I'm a John Lennon fan, too, but the solo years show who the melodicist was in that band - Paul is just a witch, a total witch.

7. Win

Win Contributing Member

Was at the library today (hey, all the cool people go there ;) ) and on a whim checked out Paul McCartneys old 'Ram' LP. I remembered really liking it as a youngster and I gotta tell ya, I'm listening to the MF for the 4th time all the way thru today. It's pretty amazing suff.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think this is a really great album. I can't get "Jenny Wren" out of my head.

Good call on Ram, Win. "Dear Boy" is superb!

9. mishii

mishii Contributing Member

I agree. I can't get "Jenny Wren" out of my head. I don't know why, but it is the one song that has grabbed me. For me, it is worth the price of the album (which was a bit expensive since I bought the Japanese version - contains a bouns track but not sure if it was worth it for just that).