1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[MUSIC] Most under rated band of all time...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Apr 11, 2016.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I used to but now I prefer NyQuil, Tylenol PM, Melatonin and particularly Xanax after a bowl.

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

70's
    Humble Pie
    Faces
    Thin Lizzy

80's
    House of Love
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Sonic Youth
    Spaceman 3

90's
    Swervedriver
    Slowdive
    the Boo Radleys
    Mercury Rev
    Spiritualized

3. Raven

Raven Member

This thread is off the rails. Many of the examples are in the rock hall of fame (Cheap Trick) or they are critical darlings (such as Nick Drake). Neither qualify as underrated. ZZ Top underrated? Come on!

A better example is Steely Dan. They had a bunch of hits back in the 70s. The critics liked them, but they're mostly ignored (in spite of still touring) and are never mentioned as potential hall of fame inductees. Smithereens and XTC are also good examples.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Humble Pie is a REALLY good selection. "Fool for a pretty face"!!!!!

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Of course not of all time, but imo the Stone Roses should be on this list.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Can't argue with the Kinks, Smithereens, Replacements, XTC and many others already mentioned, so I'll just throw in a few of my old favorites:

Steppenwolf
    James Gang
    Todd Rundgren/Utopia
    Mountain
    Gang of Four

Yeh, I'm old...

2 people like this.
  7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Lee Scratch Perry (the truth)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C3YntPxjcf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hank Williams III (Lineage. Arguably made the greatest country album ever - Straight to Hell)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BrUk1ua8ZqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Live they suck huge balls tho, the singer cannot sing AT ALL! Great stage presence tho.

A few more;

Rainbow
    UFO

9. what

what Member

Most underrated rock band?

My uncle says it's trapeze. You agree? he's a stoner!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMJCVb3LlSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. raj87

raj87 Member

Rundgren is/was an absolute monster. Something/Anything and A Wizard/A True Star are among the all time greats. And Utopia's run of early albums (Utopia, Ra, and Another Live) was the best American take on progressive rock, except for Zappa.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Definitively worth checking out. Just skip their live shows. They aren't able to recreate the great sound of their studio albums in a live setting.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Unknown" is one thing. "Underrated" is another.

I'm not saying the Kinks aren't widely recognized as great, but to me they're not on the level they should be. A lot of their albums and singles were largely ignored (at least, here in the States).

Steely Dan? It's tough for me to put them in the underrated category, if only because Classic Vinyl (26 on Sirius XM) LOOOOOOOOOOOOVES the band, and plays them constantly (that station is a big favorite for me). But looking at the band critically? Yes, they should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Speaking of that word "Yes":

THERE's a band that gets little love: Yes ("Owner of a Lonely Heart," "Roundabout", etc). Not even in the Hall of Fame. But then again, Deep Purple only just made it in, so hopefully good things come to those who wait.

1 person likes this.
  13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

A Flock of Seagulls

1 person likes this.
  14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

The Zombies

Odessey and Oracle is on par with anything the Beatles ever made.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely right about the sense of humor. It's key to a lot of the songs. You mentioned Lola, it's there in (I wish I could Fly Like) Superman, Apeman, Moneygoround, etc. The humor was a huge part, and like so much of the Kinks brilliance doesn't receive a lot of attention.

It's strange because Ray Davies seems like he's pretty much tormented by wishing he could live a normal even super old-fashioned life, but also being unable to do that because of the talent, creativity and imagination bursting out of him. It's there in a lot of lyrics. Great stuff.

17. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Ooohhhh good one.

[youtube]8GU2eePZR1U[/youtube]

I'll contribute with The Early November for the heart broken teens of 2000's

18. raj87

raj87 Member

Yes is widely considered the cornerstone of progressive rock's "big four" (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP). I would say that is right where they belong.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Za5FT8hLd0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/ajgoldberg">@ajgoldberg</a> Seth's character not liking Steely Dan was a way to show how immature and not ready for a baby he was. Who could trust him?</p>&mdash; Judd Apatow (@JuddApatow) <a href="https://twitter.com/JuddApatow/status/564824624400064512">February 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>