1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC] I might be addicted to Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Oct 17, 2003.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I've never been a huge fan. Growing up, I knew of The Wall and songs like Money, I knew who Pink Floyd was, but I never owned Dark Side of the Moon, Animals or any other 'classic' Floyd, until now.

I downloaded a few tracks a while back and was totally amazed at how much I like them. I now own (yes I bought them) most of their 70's discography and listen to them almost daily. I don't do acid, so it's not a drug thing... I'm just addicted to David Gilmour's guitar and the sounds this band made. I have some early stuff like Meddle, Atom Heart Mother and Obscured By Clouds and am just mesmorized by the music these guys made...

anyone else here like Pink Floyd? Got favorites or recommendations?

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Big fan here, my fav is "Wish you were here" it has 5 songs on it and 2 of them last about 15 min each.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You pretty much have covered the bases rockHead. Although I would recommend getting Ummagumma and A Saucerful of Secrets.

Both Great albums!

4. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Find a copy of the movie "Live At Pompeii"

[​IMG]

It has studio work while they are recording "DSOTM" and has them performing in the ruins of a Pompeii arena.

Songs Include

Echoes
    One of these Days
    Careful with that Axe Eugene

Amazon

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

rH,

You must go get the Animals CD. Dogs is my favorite PF song ever.

Also, go pick up all of Roger Waters' solo stuff. I'm listening to 'In The Flesh' right now. Amazing!

6. coma

coma Contributing Member

Btw, my sig is from an awesome PF song as well.

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I can't edit my last post...:mad:

There is a directors cut DVD due to be released Oct 21.

[​IMG]

Amazon

8. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I'm in the minority, but I think everything after Syd left the band is worthless.

Check out Syd Barrett's "The Madcap Laughs" album. Genius.

9. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I don't think the band was worthless after Syd, but I think they were a better band with him. "Apples And Oranges" is about the only vinyl I listen to anymore.

10. esse

esse Contributing Member

I saw the making of The Dark Side of The Moon (or something like that) DVD
    Incredible DVD!!
    Shows old footage as well as the guys nowadays old and grey, playing parts of songs for the camera. Even uh...who produced that one? Manfred Mann? or..can't remember but he's in the studio with the original tracks showing how he did this and that!

*David Gilmore looks like hell but can still play the guitar and get sounds out of it like noones business!

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

"Wish You Were Here" is my favorite Pink Floyd album that I own.

12. rockHEAD

My current collection includes:

The Wall
    Obscured by Clouds
    Animals
    DSOTM
    Wish You Were Here
    Meddle
    Atom Heart Mother
    Echoes
    The Final Cut

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Syd was amazing, but burned himself out so much that he just couldn't play with the band anymore. David Gilmour is amazing, I actually saw God the night of the great rainstorm at Rice stadium.

I saw the VH1 "Inside the Music" special on PF and it gave a lot of background on the band and how the split with Syd took place. It also gave background into the making of "Wish You Were Here" that has given me chills each time I have heard the album since.

PF is still my second favorite band behind Rush.

14. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

You're missing The Piper At The Gates of Dawn, which is my personal favorite and the one I consider to be their finest work.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i read the bands biography, i suggest picking it up if you like the band a lot. it makes you feel really sorry for Syd.

They said in the book people would slip him acid constantly, and thats not counting the stuff he took on his on.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Animals is my fave. I can't listen to Floyd songs out of context. I have to listen to them in album form. One song just won't do it for me.

17. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Weren't the Beatles doing Sgt. Pepper in the same studio at the same time as Piper? I think it was that album, I'm a bit rusty on my Floyd trivia...

You are correct that it is a good one!

18. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I believe you are correct.

And it was also at the same time as Brian Wilson's legendary "Dumb Angle/Smile" sessions. Great time for music.

And the same year as the first two Velvet Underground records.

One of the greatest years ever in music.

19. rockHEAD

http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/disc_idx.html

this discography page is great... it has all the albums and when you mouseover them, they pull out and you can select them. each one has all vital info to the album, including trivia. bad @ss!

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was at that concert with the Lady and some friends. Talk about a trip! Was that wild or not?? Never forget it.

I saw Pink Floyd at the Music Hall when they were touring for Dark Side of the Moon and it was the first time I heard surround sound in a concert (that wasn't produced by something other than electronics!). They called it quadrophonic sound, of course, but it was absolutely awesome. Superb acoustics and about 3000 people. The sound swirled around and around... back and forth... side to side... wow.

I was going to post it in the "best concerts you ever went to" thread, but I couldn't make up my mind which concert I've seen was the "best". There were so many, and that one was right up there. Maybe I'll make a list of some favorites and post it in that thread sometime. I've been very lucky to see just about everyone when they were at their peak. Makes it tough to single concerts out, but there are some that were just stunning. Floyd at the Music Hall was one of them.