1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Music Fans: Check Out My First Podcast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DanHiggsBeard, Jun 13, 2005.

1. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I made my first podcast (basically a mp3 that kinda flows like a radio show..sans voiceovers)

Anyway, the theme for the first set was under the radar 60'/70's hard rock. I think I did a pretty damn fine job, and I hope you enjoy.

http://www.goodbyeforever.net/wordpress/

Download and listen. You can listen on your computer, load to your ipod or other mp3 player, or burn to cd.

It's probably a huge mistake posting thise here since it will probably (definitely) kill my bandwidth.

Let me know what you think.

Track listing:

1. Blues Creation (Japan) - Atomic Bombs Away (from the album Demon & Eleven Children, 1970)

2. Cactus (USA) - Evil (from the album Restrictions, 1971)

3. Pentagram(USA) - Forever My Queen (from the single Forever My Queen, 1971)

4. Bang (USA) - Lions, Christians (from the album Bang, 1972)

5. Blackfeather (Australia) - On This Day That I Die (from the album At The Mountains Of Madness, 1971)

6. Blue Cheer (USA) - Out Of Focus (from the album Vincebus Eruptum, 1968)

7. The Groundhogs (England) - Cherry Red (from the album Split, 1971)

8. High Tide (England) - Futilist’s Lament (from the album Sea Shanties, 1969)

9. Jericho (Israel/England) - Ethiopia (from the album Jericho, 1972)

10. Josefus (USA) - Crazy Man (from the album Dead man, 1970)

11. Leaf Hound (England) - Sad Road To The Sea (from the album Growers Of Mushroom, 1971)

12. Flower Travellin’ Band (Japan) - Satori, Pt. 1 (from the album Satori, 1971)

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I can't decide if I should admit that I haven't heard of one of these bands.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

You ain't the only one...

4. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

That's the point..it's under the radar stuff. Some of the band were fairly big in England, but never caught on here. I'm trying to turn people on to stuff beyond Zep and Sabbath.

Some of the bands have member you're likely familiar with. Cactus was the rhythm section from Vanilla Fudge, The Groundhogs were John Lee Hooker's backing band for a while, Joesfus were a local Texas band that never quite broke big. My dad saw them a ton in his youth.

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Great! I'll give it a listen while I'm painting the office today.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you haven't heard of a band, they must be great. It's only when a lot of people have heard of a band or they become popular, they start sucking. That's the rules.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

What would be the point of sharing a bunch of music that people already know?

8. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Don't be an idiot. I WANT other people to hear this..i'm not trying to be obscure to seem cool. This is all stuff that was on major labels, so it's not like these were bands that played 1 time in a cousin of a friends boyfriends uncles garage. The purpose of doing this is so others have a chance to hear this awesome stuff they normally wouldn't ever be subjected to.

9. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Hell yes, I will listen to any DHB podcast.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I did a gig with the old singer from Josephus a couple weeks back.

11. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Cool. Solo gig?

I'm not sure if they're still together, but I know they got back together a couple of years ago and recorded a live record. My old man was a big fan.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah. They did a couple reunion shows last Halloween. The drummer I work with used to play with them in the early 90's. She, my guitar player and I did a solo gig with him.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How can this be legal?

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Technically, Podcasting isn't legal. But, it is becoming a really big deal and since Podcasts aren't CD quality (for the most part) and since they don't break the tracks up individually, there is a lot of debate over whether or not they can eventually be cleared for use on the internet like radio.

You can bet the RIAA, radio stations and others are lining up to battle it. Many podcasts, however, aren't music. There are a bunch of techie type shows and other things as well.

15. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Yeah, think of this as a radio show. The bit rate is low quality, and the files aren't seperated. Plus I make no money off this, and technically I'm actually promoting all of these artists.

Most of the tracks are from out of print records anyway.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and radio shows never pay royalities. I am not trying to ride your *ss here. I am just wondering if you are painting a great-big-o bulleye on your forehead and daring the RIAA to sue.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Don't be so defensive Mr. Beard. As you can plainly see, that quote wasn't directed at you. I have no clue what you like or don't like or how good your bands are. Chill out.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know - ask FM radio, XM, Sirius, etc., seems to work for them. ;)

19. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Dan, maybe you should try this out:

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2005/05/kpft_takes_me_u.html
    May 25, 2005
    KPFT takes me up on "Random Radio"
    I'm on the air at KPFT 90.1 FM, doing the Technology Bytes show. Ernesto Aguilar, the program director, just handed me a handwritten note.

i'll be incorporating your idea of playing mp3 lists/players on-the-air, starting Tuesday morning, 4-6 a.m. email ernesto@kpft.org if ppl are interested.

He's referring to this item I posted on May 18. In it, I suggested that a cool radio station might consider allowing folks to come into the studio, set their MP3 players on shuffle, and whatever plays, plays.

I guess this is why they call it "public radio." This may almost be worth getting up early for!

Posted by Dwight at May 25, 2005 07:56 PM

Granted, that's certainly a terrible hour, but maybe the idea will catch on.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Is this service similar to Shoutcast.com? I used to listen to Shoutcast a few years ago - I don't know if it's any good any more, but you could always find music of all types of genres and varied playlists on there.