1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]Bonnaroo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Bonnaroo starts tomorrow in my hometown! I will be there starting Friday. Some of the bands I look forward to seeing includes Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Swans, Beach House, Wilco, just to name a few.

Anyone else going?

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Man, that's great your getting to go, I know it's hard for you to make shows and here is a handful you can see, at once! Enjoy and wear a hat!!

3. ArtV

ArtV Member

I live about an hour away and I'd love to see Paul McCartney and Tom Petty but I can't handle the camping and I don't think it's worth the RV rental...ie...I'm a old, fair-weather fan but enjoy.

It's gonna be hot but let us know how it goes.

Side note: My son is a big festival fan and travels around to see them. He just got back from a disastrous one in AR (Wakarusa). Lots of stories though. He is heading to Electric Forest in a couple of weeks.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why was it disastrous. I was thinking of making that one next year.

Have fun, Manny. It's on my bucket list.

5. ArtV

ArtV Member

Mostly weather related but...

Drove during the day and arrived at 10:30pm the day before but didn't get in until 10:30am because of the traffic. That gives you a rough start missing a day’s sleep and sitting in a 12 hour traffic jam. He's been to quite a few and said they were disorganized on getting people in.

They cancelled the 1st night's events because of the weather even though he said it wasn't raining there yet (there were tornados in OK that night heading that way). One group he wanted to see only played 30 minutes because of the stoppage.

The rain did come. He fortunately got a camping spot up high. Others were not as fortunate and their cars were flooded. 1 was even washed away (entertaining to watch though). He and his girlfriend slept in the car because of the rain. Really not sure why now that I think about it because the tent should have provided as much shelter…but they did. But you know what kind of quality sleep car-sleep gives you. The mud was knee deep to walk in because of the rain and the traffic. Many shoes were lost including my son’s. He walked in the Nashville mall on the way home barefoot and bought some new shoes. smh at that visual.

They left the last night around 11pm and got a hotel on the way home (sans shoes) for a good nights sleep. He has previously fallen asleep at the wheel (coming home from Bonnaroo a few years back) and thankfully has just a little guardrail rash to show for that lesson. He now knows how bad it can be so he’s liberal with hotels before and after. Unfortunately his friend hadn’t learned that lesson yet and thought they could make it home even leaving that late. The friend fell asleep and hit another car on his way home. Thankfully they are all ok but his car was pretty messed up. His family is really having a hard time processing the son’s choices. Long story but they come from a very well to do family where all the mother, father and children are successful professionals…and then there is him…the youngest… It pains them still but I've talked with the parents at parties and the good part is they aren't giving up. I've told them that I've given up raising the perfect child (I was a mess growing up myself - so were they) but haven’t given up on raising my son. He is showing good signs but he’s not out of the woods yet….sorry...that last part was just a sidebar…

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, hopefully the weather is nice next year and they fix their entrance issues. :)

7. ArtV

ArtV Member

:) I hope so. Those 2 combine for 95% of a good or not so good experience. Bonnaroo had some horrific entrance experiences in the beginning but they have improved. And while it's not speedy by any stretch, it's much, much better.

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Saw the full shows for Wilco, ZZ Top, and Animal Collective. Caught a little bit of Grizzly Bear, Foals, and Wu-Tang Clan. Animal Collective, by far, was the best show I have ever seen - they were beyond amazing!