1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Best places to buy vinyl?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Harrisment, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Picked up a record player today so that I can finally play the albums I've been buying over the last few months. Wanted to see what stores you would recommend for the best selection? I went to Cactus earlier today and right now I'm enjoying Radiohead's The Bends which sounds amazing. Any other stores in Houston I should check out? What about online?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

SACD > Vinyl

3. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

For online buying, I recommend Soundstage. Great selection, and top quality. Keep in mind, however, that they are more of a 180 gram audiophile store.

Also, what kind of turntable did you get? And what are you using for the phono preamp?

4. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

C'mon now, let's keep that trash out of here!

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Uncompressed audio with actual bass that does not get worse in quality from just playing it.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thanks for your input. I'll be sure to let you know when i create a thread asking for opinions on SACD.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I got the Sony LX250. It's cheap but it sounds good and gets good reviews. A friend of mine has the same model and that swayed me to get it. It has a built in preamp.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CaseyH again.

but, try online, musicdirect.com, or acousticsounds.com, both excellent sources of vynl, some of it used, but in pristine condition.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thanks man. Two albums I've been looking for on vinyl with no luck for the past couple of months are Sneaker Pimps - Bloodsport, and Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile. They both seem really tough to find.

11. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Good thing you found something you like for the right price. It's also cool that you have the flexibility to play around with different cartridges, preamps, and tonearms to suit your taste (Although you may not want to go that far down the rabbit hole just yet)

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Half Priced Books has a fairly good selection.

I would also recommend hitting the thrift circuit. It's very hit and miss but you would be amazed what you can find there, often less than a buck.

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Black Dog around the corner from Cactus had a nice selection of older Lp's, just a bit pricey though.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Seconded. I don't do vinyl, but they seem to have a he'll of a collection. New stuff too.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Seconded.

A lot of folks don't realize the value of some of dad's old vinyl when trading away here. Even better, most of the employees don't know either.

Whereas at a true "record" store they will gouge you if they know it is semi-valuable.

16. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

There's room in this thread for only one of us to second a sentiment.

17. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Thirded. 1/2 Price Books can be a gold mine if you dig hard enough. Also try and get cool with the vinyl buyer. A lot of times he/she will do specialty buys according to the genre or type of artist you like. I've purchased close to 1000 pieces at the store at 529 and hwy 6 over the last 2-3 years

Definitely try your local Goodwill or thrift shop also.

If you don't mind spending the money check out Vinal Edge off of Veterans Memorial or the Cactus Music over off of Portsmouth.

Also check out The Sound Exchange off of Richmond and Hazard. Kind of a cool fact but my cousin and I came within an inch of buying that building in '97 (from his father in law who owned pretty much the whole block) for our recording studio but we backed out at the last second because we found a better location

#17 legend215, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

19. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

Go to Traders Village.

I haven't been there in a good while but there use to be a couple of stands selling vinyl.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

my dad gets a lot of records off ebay.