1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muscle gain vs weight gain? How to tell?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheBigAristotle, Feb 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TheBigAristotle

Sweet. I just noticed I can post threads now. Thanks Clutch/staff :).

Anyways. A year ago I weighed in at 177 and a year later I'm weighing in at 203. I've been late night eating a good deal though to cope with my ever-increasing insomnia (which I've been seeing a grand armada of different docs for.... sleep labs/ENT's/regular physicians), which is very likely responsible for most of the weight gain. I saw my general physician today though and he said it looked like I'd filled out though and he didn't think all the 25 lbs was fat/lard/etc.

Is there anyway to tell though really? Despite my late night eatings, I do get a good amount of exercise in on a weekly basis (mainly so I can eat more, lol). I was thinking surely not all 25 lbs are fat, but possibly 5...7'ish? No weight lifting though, just a lot of tennis, basketball, and walking.

2. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Get your body fat checked.

3. TheBigAristotle

How's that work? They have a test for it specifically?

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

how's your waistline? if you're gaining weight and your waistline is staying the same or getting smaller, then you're gaining muscle.

5. TheBigAristotle

Waistline is expanding.... :\ lol. More specifically my stomach. I suppose that rules out the 25 lbs of pure muscle eh?

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ask your physician or else sometimes at gyms they will offer body composition test.

I suffer from insomnia every now and then too but have been good about late night eating. Generally I deal with it by surfing the web and/or reading. Getting lots of exercise definately helps so you might want to increase the amount you work out.

7. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

You can go to a gym and get it checked. You also can get a rough estimate using a body fat calculator online.

The waistline is a good indicator of fat. :)

8. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

if you look like this, then its all muscle, otherwise, the news is not so good....

9. droxford

droxford Member

Those are aerobic exercises that help lose weight, but they build very little muscle mass.

Also - you said you only exercise weekly? As in "once a week" ? I'm thinking you got 25 lbs of fat.

You can have your physician do a body fat percentage check. They'll probably pinch your fat and use calipers to test it.

QFT

10. TheBigAristotle

Nah, usually 4-5 times a week from 30 mins to an hour. Of course, it doesn't do a lot of good with late night eating, but exercise isn't so much the problem right now.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just go to a crowded pool or beach and take your shirt off. This is a pretty good "fat test" for me.

Unfortunately, it's been quite a while since I passed it......

12. SoundMan

SoundMan Member

you are not doing ANY resistance weight training and you expect it to be muscle?

thats not how it works. i mean if putting on muscle was so easy..dont u think every guy would be muscular?

13. fat kid

fat kid Member

this.

14. Asian Sensation

If you have to ask then it's fat. Late night eating is one of the worst things in terms of gaining weight. Look at pictures from when you were 177 and now. First sign of unpositive weight gain would be your face.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If you haven't done any weight lifting than it's likely that 99% of that is fat and water. Over 20 pounds for sure. The only way you'd know for sure is to know what your body fat was beforehand and compare it to what it is now but the time for that has passed. The best thing to do is to get your body fat measured and get an idea of where you are now and start from there.

16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

How old are you? Some of it can be your metaoblism not being quite what it once was.

One thing I will point out: you CAN gain some muscle weight from cardio. When I regularly ride my bike, I can tell that I lose quite a bit from my midsection, but my muscle mass in my legs builds up. It offsets some of the weight loss.

Chances are, however, that it is mostly fat. I know that when I got heavier, since I looked at myself in the mirror every day, I couldn't tell. I was only after I lost weight and went back and looked at pictures could I clearly see a difference.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Get your BF% checked by a personal trainer or doctor. If you want me to check it for you, just email me through the board and we'll set up something. Or if you happen to own a medical grade scale like I do, do it at home :cool:

18. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

i use the omron hbf-306 body fat analyzer. seems to be a decent indication.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What does your penis say?

20. Asian Sensation

I wish I was a little bit taller.... :D