1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Murder investigation after woman found dead at UT Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc rock, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

You know, I was wondering the same thing when I heard she was found in, or near, the creek. But, the police said they were treating it as a murder case almost as soon as they found her. So, I assume there was some evidence that told them that this was probably a murder.

This terrible crime has really made me sad. Many years ago, when I was a student at UT, I spent a semester in the old Simkins dorm. The creek runs right next to the dorm. We walked all through that area at all times of the day and night. We never had a second thought about being in any danger. I guess college kids don't think much about those kind of things.

I can't stop thinking about this poor girl and all the years she had taken away from her. So sad.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'm currently a student here. Obviously everyone over here has been talking about this all week. I assumed it was a random assault (perhaps sexual assault) because she was only a freshman and from out of state (Portland). Surprised to see that the police thinks they knew each other.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is very sad for the UT community. The press conference today insinuated, to me, that she was raped and murdered. Unfortunately, the lack of details from APD is creating a large vacuum for gossip and speculation. Visiting /r/austin reveals a lot of people claiming to have some kind of insider knowledge of the investigation due to connections at APD.

All of this said, that area of campus is very dark and inactive at night. If the suspect was truly milling around for hours on a Sunday, like APD has stated, it's likely that he went unnoticed by the handful of people that would've passed him. When I used to run around campus in the evenings, Sundays were particularly barren and I often felt like I had the campus to myself, especially in the area around DKR.

I do wonder why the beginning of the security footage blurs out his surroundings. I also wonder if authorities have other footage from the alumni center perhaps showing the murder, but what we see now is all that can be publicly released. The SUV that drives by the suspect in the longer shot, after the murder was committed, appears to be a Chevrolet Suburban to me, based on its door handles and size.

I pray her family is able to find healing and closure when this investigation comes to an end.

4. Apps

Apps Member

An out of state freshman? Man, that is horrific. I can only imagine the sheer pain her family is going through right now...

5. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Has APD said that regarding this case? The article posted in this thread says "Tuesday’s discovery came just three days after police were called to the campus for a suspected burglary and sexual assault of a student, according to The Dallas Morning News. Police believe the student knew the suspect, who has not been named, in that case."

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Oh, my fault. I misread the article.

7. Asian Sensation

I can see a true murderer who planned such an attack keeping his calm and remaining nonchalant. Also, this sounds bad and no disrespect to the deceased but I bet there was a sexual attack and he probably busted hence the slowness.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I just feel like if you murdered someone, you wouldn't make it obvious that you are fleeing the scene, but you also wouldn't take your sweet time like the suspect did in the video. Of course, murderers are by definition not right in the head, so they shouldn't be expected to act rationally.

If she was murdered by that guy, then it was a calculated murder. Even if the guy was just planning to rape her and accidentally killed her, I feel like that guy would be panicking more.

10. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Part of me thinks they must have more graphic video on hand which is why APD has been so insistent that he is a suspect, not a mere person of interest.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The article I read mentioned that the suspect was riding a woman's bicycle on campus an hour after the incident. Can we presume it was her bike? Why else would they include that?

Also that "busted hence the slowness" has got to be the most idiotic thing I've ever read. Conjectural, based on no evidence except maybe personal experience.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Do we know that she died soon before being disposed? Perhaps she was killed a while ago and he just got around to dumping the body, hence the lack of panic.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought she called her roomate that evening and said she was on the way home, and then the next morning the roomate called the police...not even an entire day had passed.

DD

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If you want to dump a body, doing it anywhere near a college campus would be stupid.

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Looks like she lived in my old dorm, San Jacinto. So sad. :(

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

He's walking the bike by the stadium, which, if I'm remembering correctly, is right by the campus police station on Dedman. Does he seem out of place? I don't think so. Looks like a student and it says he has an "athletic build." I wonder where he left the bike. It would be at a pawn shop if this was a bungled theft, I think. Looks like he's carrying two backpacks.

#56 dc rock, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This is really creepy. My wife is in grad school right now at UT. Last week we went to a show at the Bass Concert Hall and walked by that creek on the way to get a bite to eat.

I had never been to that part of campus before and commented how creepy and overgrown the area was. We had a whole conversation about it. For all I know that girl's body was there the whole time we were talking.

Terrible news.

18. ohmarioyes

ohmarioyes Member

Found this SOB

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They found him?

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member